When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with the
"Automatically fix file system errors" box checked, I get an error message
that reads as follows:

"Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)"

"The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs
exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be
accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check
to occur the next time you restart the computer?"

When I rebooted and ran the utility again with nothing else running I got
the same error message. Then I used the Windows MSCONFIG utility and
disabled ALL startup programs. I then ran the utility and I got the same
error message.

When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
"Automatically fix file system errors" box unchecked, the utility reported no
problems.

What is going on here? Any suggestions?

--
Kal B

woody

Run utility again and answer yes to the question "Do you want to schedule
this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?". Reboot;
the utility should run before loading windows.

Woody

Kal B wrote:
> When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
> the "Automatically fix file system errors" box checked, I get an
> error message that reads as follows:
>
> "Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)"
>
> "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility
> needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These
> files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to
> schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the
> computer?"
>
> When I rebooted and ran the utility again with nothing else running I
> got the same error message. Then I used the Windows MSCONFIG utility
> and disabled ALL startup programs. I then ran the utility and I got
> the same error message.
>
> When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
> "Automatically fix file system errors" box unchecked, the utility
> reported no problems.
>
> What is going on here? Any suggestions?

This is normal when you're running chkdsk on your system volume. You have to
say "yes" when prompted to let it run on next startup, then restart the
computer.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Kal B wrote:
> > When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
> > the "Automatically fix file system errors" box checked, I get an
> > error message that reads as follows:
> >
> > "Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)"
> >
> > "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility
> > needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These
> > files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to
> > schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the
> > computer?"
> >
> > When I rebooted and ran the utility again with nothing else running I
> > got the same error message. Then I used the Windows MSCONFIG utility
> > and disabled ALL startup programs. I then ran the utility and I got
> > the same error message.
> >
> > When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
> > "Automatically fix file system errors" box unchecked, the utility
> > reported no problems.
> >
> > What is going on here? Any suggestions?
>
> This is normal when you're running chkdsk on your system volume. You have to
> say "yes" when prompted to let it run on next startup, then restart the
> computer.

Mr. Lanwench,

I tried your suggestion and CHKDSK now does run upon booting. Thank you
very much.

Several comments though.

1. After CHKDSK runs a report is generated on the screen. However, the
report disappears from the screen very quickly and I am unable to read all of
it. So I don't know if there are problems or not. (Some flakey things are
happening which caused me to want run this disk diagnostic utility in the
first place.) Would the report stick around longer if there were a problem?
May I conclude then that there are no problems?

2. I have Norton Disk Doctor (a part of Norton SystemWorks 2005). I've run
it with the "Fix errors" checkbox unchecked. In the report that is
generated, in the section labeled "Indexes Status", it says "Corrective
actions indicated below were not written to disk" because the "Fix errors"
checkbox was not checked. Then it goes on to list numerous entries of the
sort "Deleting index entry XXXX (where this character string varies) in index
$130 of file 47005." I then checked the "Fix errors" checkbox, which also
seems to force the running of the CHKDSK utility. My comment #1 above
applies in this situation as well. When I later run Norton Disk Doctor it
then still reports errors of the sort mentioned above, i.e., "Deleting index
entry XXXX (where this character string varies) in index $130 of file YYYY
(where this may vary)"

Any further comments, please?

Thank you.

Kal B

Woody,

Kal B wrote:
> [...]
>>> the "Automatically fix file system errors" box checked, I get an
>>> error message that reads as follows:
>>>
>>> "Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)"
>>>
>>> "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check
>>> utility needs
>>> exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files
>>> can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to
>>> schedule this disk check
>>> to occur the next time you restart the computer?"
>>>
>>> When I rebooted and ran the utility again with nothing else running
>>> I got the same error message. Then I used the Windows MSCONFIG
>>> utility and disabled ALL startup programs. I then ran the utility
>>> and I got the same error message.
>>>
>>> When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
>>> "Automatically fix file system errors" box unchecked, the utility

Event Viewer will show logged information about the chkdsk operation.
In the applications section, look at the winlogon items.

Very useful information. Thank you.

Kal B

Kal B wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Kal B wrote:
>>> When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
>>> the "Automatically fix file system errors" box checked, I get an
>>> error message that reads as follows:
>>>
>>> "Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)"
>>>
>>> "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check
>>> utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk.
>>> These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you
>>> want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart
>>> the computer?"
>>>
>>> When I rebooted and ran the utility again with nothing else running
>>> I got the same error message. Then I used the Windows MSCONFIG
>>> utility and disabled ALL startup programs. I then ran the utility
>>> and I got the same error message.
>>>
>>> When I ran the Windows XP SP2 Hard Disk Error Checking Utility with
>>> "Automatically fix file system errors" box unchecked, the utility
>>> reported no problems.
>>>
>>> What is going on here? Any suggestions?
>>
>> This is normal when you're running chkdsk on your system volume. You
>> have to say "yes" when prompted to let it run on next startup, then
>> restart the computer.
>

> Mr. Lanwench,

Ms. Lanwench, please :)

> I tried your suggestion and CHKDSK now does run upon booting. Thank
> you very much.

No prob.

> Several comments though.
>
> 1. After CHKDSK runs a report is generated on the screen. However,
> the report disappears from the screen very quickly and I am unable to
> read all of it. So I don't know if there are problems or not. (Some
> flakey things are happening which caused me to want run this disk
> diagnostic utility in the first place.) Would the report stick
> around longer if there were a problem? May I conclude then that there
> are no problems?

Check your system event logs....

> 2. I have Norton Disk Doctor (a part of Norton SystemWorks 2005).
> I've run it with the "Fix errors" checkbox unchecked. In the report
> that is generated, in the section labeled "Indexes Status", it says
> "Corrective actions indicated below were not written to disk" because
> the "Fix errors" checkbox was not checked. Then it goes on to list
> numerous entries of the sort "Deleting index entry XXXX (where this
> character string varies) in index $130 of file 47005." I then
> checked the "Fix errors" checkbox, which also seems to force the
> running of the CHKDSK utility. My comment #1 above applies in this
> situation as well. When I later run Norton Disk Doctor it then still
> reports errors of the sort mentioned above, i.e., "Deleting index
> entry XXXX (where this character string varies) in index $130 of file
> YYYY (where this may vary)"

I haven't used Norton Disk Doctor - can't say. Have you checked in help?