K8NNXP and RAM

vk

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Hello all,

I have tried installing more than 512 megs of ram on my motherboard and
gotten errors. Anyone else have these problems or a possible solution?

Thanks, Vic

Geil, pc400 ddr 512megs, two sticks
K8NNXP with an AMD 3400+ processor

vk wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have tried installing more than 512 megs of ram on my motherboard and
> gotten errors. Anyone else have these problems or a possible solution?
>
> Thanks, Vic
>
> Geil, pc400 ddr 512megs, two sticks
> K8NNXP with an AMD 3400+ processor

Is the initial 512megs already in two sticks and you're attempting to
add a third? If that's the case then they have to be run at 333MHz
rather than 400MHz due to an oddity of the Athlon 64's memory controller.

Barry,

Thanks, they are each 512 megs. How do I get the bios to view them as
333's or would it just be more advantages to stick to 512 at 400?

Thanks again

vicocala wrote:

> Barry,
>
> Thanks, they are each 512 megs. How do I get the bios to view them as
> 333's or would it just be more advantages to stick to 512 at 400?
>
> Thanks again

You'll have to turn the memory bus speed down in the BIOS. Personally
I'd rather have the memory at 400MHz than have more.