8KNXP and SATA ports question

Phillip

I have two 120gb Seagates running off the SIL controller but would like to
use 5ICHR SATA controller.
I also have a DVD/R/RW, a DVD ROM and a CDR/RW connected to the IDE ports.

I am not running any raid configuration but somehow feel that if I'm not
connected to the Intel sata ports I'm
somehow cheated of some speed as I am using the PCI bus I believe with the
SIL ports.

So to my question, can I run both SATA drives off the Intel 5ICHR and have
my three optical drives still running
off the IDE channels. I have tried various combinations but always loose my
drives connected to IDE 1 and 2 because
the system boots but I no longer have my DVD burner or the CDR as they share
IDE 1. The DVD Rom
is on IDE 2 as this helps me to burn on the fly as the DVD rom can read all
the media both burners need.
I have been trying on and off since I built this system last September and I
finally have pulled my finger out and
am trying to resolve this issue as it bugs me.

My intention is to get another two SATA drives, totalling 4 and at present,
I can't find a way to make this happen,
I was under the impression when buying this board I could do this but I
can't make it happen at the moment.

I have tried all three optical drives (Pioneer 106, Pioneer ATA 66 DVD Rom
and a LiteOn 52x52x24 CDR)
on IDE 3 and 4 and none are detected. I also thought optical drives were
supposed to work on these ports as
I had read all the articles prior to buying the system saying this is
possible. Were these all false claims?
I honestly have a very reliable system, I sometimes freak it out when
watching TV and editing video at
the same time but I know I am asking for it, I get away with it most times
though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have been brewing on this for
comming upto a year now.

Regards,

Phil

System;
Original bios (F3 I believe)
P4 2.6 @ 2.73 (can't seem to overclock any higher and I am sick of pulling
the battery out every time I try)
2 x 512 mb ram (Kingston)
2 x 120 gb HDD
ATI 9800 pro
Above mentioned optical drives
AVerTV tuner card.

Tim

Hi,

If your system is running 100% and you are otherwise happy with it, at the
end of the changes you are proposing you may not notice any improvements in
performance. You could spend hours on this and be dissapointed, so proceed
only after backing up critical data.

I take it you have a rev 1 motherboard?
The mobo revision is on a sticker on a PCI slot somewhere.
If not, take the comments here non-specifically IE the bios version numbers
will not be correct.

Firstly upgrade your bios to F10. Until you do you will have nothing but
problems attempting the changes you are contemplating.
Secondly, make sure any drivers you use are fresh downloads since if your
bios is that old all other drivers are likely to be very much outdated too.

Since F3 is so ancient (are you sure its F3? I thought the first bios was F4
or 5...) upgrading to F10 is a big leap. Check the instructions with the
bios download and use no method other than the floppy disc boot method. IE
the windows @bios (?) utility is risky at the best of times and could lead
to a dead system. After the bios update, power off, count to ten, power on
and check that the system will still boot. Then I would do a cmos clear
operation as per the manual. Make sure you then go into the bios again, load
Setup defaults and check the configuration is correct. Power off, count to
10, power on again. (the bios F5 did result in cmos corruptions occasionally
so doing a cmos clear is a precautionary thing - make sure you remove the
power cord from the mains and switch off completely otherwise it will not
work).

To be able to use both the IDE1 & 2 ports with the ICH5R SATA you need to
configure the SATA ports not as IDE but as *Manual* (not Auto) Serial ATA on
Serial ATA. You will need to install drivers and if one of these discs is
you boot disc you will need to do so via F6 during a repair install - which
is safe. You will need to check your boot order menu.

If you need more details, then post back.
If you are happy with system performance and just curious then reconsider
doing this - personally I would.

- Tim