Newbie Q: V core increase needed for FSB OC?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hi all

I'm using a (multi-locked) Barton 2800+ on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro1 mobo. I
know it's a 166 MHz (333 MHz) CPU and have been trying to run it at 3200+
speeds with no success (the PC will either not boot or I even have to reset
the BIOS by removing the battery).

I've always been use to having to increase the v core of the CPU if I'm
upping the multiplier but do I need to raise the V core (or RAM voltage) to
increase my chances of overclocking the FSB to say 180 MHz? FWIW there are
quite a few articles about overclocking the older 2800+ (Thoroughbred cores)
but not a great deal about the Barton's. BTW I did have some small success
with a FSB increase to 170 MHz (RAM @ 204 MHz) but after 2 minutes my mouse
disappeared in WinXP.

Course it might be that the CPU/Mobo combination is a non-starter as gar as
overclocking is concerned ...

TIA

BillL

System Specs

AMD XP2800+ Barton 2.08 GHz
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro (Using on-board audio & NIC) F9 BIOS
1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB DIMM's) PC3200
Sapphire 9700 (non-pro) (128MB)

Cooler Master Wavemaster Case (2 Front fans, 1 Top fan, 1 PCI slot fan, 1
rear fan)
Antec TruePower 330 Watt PSU (Dual Fan)
Coolermaster Aerocool 7+ HSF

Primary IDE Channel
1 x 120 GB Seagate ATA100 (Master)
1 x 120 GB Maxtor ATA133 (slave)

Secondary IDE Channel
Liteon 40x12x48x CDRW (Master)
Liteon 16x DVD (Slave)

OtherHW
HP 940C USB Printer
Epson R300 Photo Stylus
Cannon LiDE30 USB Scanner
Linsys 4 Port 2.0 USB HUB
Hauppauge WinTV PCI

OS: WinXP Pro SP2 Beta

"Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I'm using a (multi-locked) Barton 2800+ on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro1 mobo. I
> know it's a 166 MHz (333 MHz) CPU and have been trying to run it at 3200+
> speeds with no success (the PC will either not boot or I even have to
reset
> the BIOS by removing the battery).

xp2800+ = 12.5x166mhz. = 2075mhz
sounds like you are trying to do 12.5x200mhz = 2500mhz - which without
heaps of vcore you will not achieve - and maybe not then.

> I've always been use to having to increase the v core of the CPU if I'm
> upping the multiplier but do I need to raise the V core (or RAM voltage)
> increase my chances of overclocking the FSB to say 180 MHz? FWIW there are
> quite a few articles about overclocking the older 2800+ (Thoroughbred
cores)
> but not a great deal about the Barton's. BTW I did have some small success
> with a FSB increase to 170 MHz (RAM @ 204 MHz) but after 2 minutes my
mouse
> disappeared in WinXP.

The vcore increase is to enable the cpu to run at increased speeds, it does
not matter if the speed increase is produced via fsb or multiplier, it is
still a speed increase. So the answer is yes you probably do need to raise
the vcore.

So you got it to run asyncronously at 170mhz fsb = 2125mhz and want 180mhz
fsb = 2250mhz. I would have thought that could be quite easily attained
with a vcore of 1.7v - 1.75 but maybe a bit more.
However can your ram take the 214mhz that running it asynchonoulsy will take
it to - so maybe it might need a bit more voltage or a relaxing of the
timings - but try without first or try running with the cpu and ram at the
same speed and seeing if that is any better.

"Hippy Paul" <null@anon.con> wrote in message

> "Bill Larcombe" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm using a (multi-locked) Barton 2800+ on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro1 mobo. I
>> know it's a 166 MHz (333 MHz) CPU and have been trying to run it at 3200+
>> speeds with no success (the PC will either not boot or I even have to
> reset
>> the BIOS by removing the battery).
>
> xp2800+ = 12.5x166mhz. = 2075mhz
> sounds like you are trying to do 12.5x200mhz = 2500mhz - which without
> heaps of vcore you will not achieve - and maybe not then.
>
>> I've always been use to having to increase the v core of the CPU if I'm
>> upping the multiplier but do I need to raise the V core (or RAM voltage)
>> increase my chances of overclocking the FSB to say 180 MHz? FWIW there
>> are
>> quite a few articles about overclocking the older 2800+ (Thoroughbred
> cores)
>> but not a great deal about the Barton's. BTW I did have some small
>> success
>> with a FSB increase to 170 MHz (RAM @ 204 MHz) but after 2 minutes my
> mouse
>> disappeared in WinXP.
>
> The vcore increase is to enable the cpu to run at increased speeds, it
> does
> not matter if the speed increase is produced via fsb or multiplier, it is
> still a speed increase. So the answer is yes you probably do need to
> raise
> the vcore.
>
> So you got it to run asyncronously at 170mhz fsb = 2125mhz and want
> 180mhz
> fsb = 2250mhz. I would have thought that could be quite easily attained
> with a vcore of 1.7v - 1.75 but maybe a bit more.
> However can your ram take the 214mhz that running it asynchonoulsy will
> take
> it to - so maybe it might need a bit more voltage or a relaxing of the
> timings - but try without first or try running with the cpu and ram at the
> same speed and seeing if that is any better.
>
>> Course it might be that the CPU/Mobo combination is a non-starter as gar
> as
>> overclocking is concerned ...
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> BillL

Cheers for the informative answers - just what I was looking for :eek:)

BillL