Wireless router & wired print server

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 2:24:27 PM

Help - can anyone help me to print through this system?

I have the following items
Room 1 - DLink Wireless ADSL router with built in ADSL modem, firewall and 4
wired LAN ports, connected to this is a LinkSys EFSP42 2 port print server
with 4 switched ports, connected to the first parallel port is a Samsung
ML2150 printer
Room 2 - Desktop PC running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates,
connected to the wireless network via a DLink USB Wireless link (good signal
connects at 54Mbs). This has Zone Alarm but I have tried with firewall
switched off. (incidentally when I installed the dongle, it installed all
by itself and although I have updated the driver to the one supplied by
DLink - I cant access the program to get into the setup - but it seems to
work OK)
Anyroom - New HP laptop connected via wireless link.

The set up ALMOST works perfectly, I can access internet and copy files to
each PC - however I cant print!

I have tried giving the LinkSys print serve its own fixed IP and I have
tried letting the router allocate one. If I connect directly (with wires)
to the print server and allocate fixed IP to the PC and print server then I
can print.

In wireless mode I can access the control panel for the print server via a
browser and its IP address and alter it's settings, even print a test page
from this screen. I can access the print server using either the BiAdmin
program or directly via the IP address from either PC and print test pages
from these programs but NOT from windows.

I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys printer
port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has the same problem -
just get print error when I try to print from Windows.

I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?

I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is somewhat a grey
area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses exactly
the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and DHCP
allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!

Ian
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 2:24:28 PM

Have you run the installation disk on the laptop? You need to install the
virtual printer port on the laptop for the print server before Windows will
be able to print.

"Ian G" <iangott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o gdnwzKIFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Help - can anyone help me to print through this system?
>
> I have the following items
> Room 1 - DLink Wireless ADSL router with built in ADSL modem, firewall and
> 4
> wired LAN ports, connected to this is a LinkSys EFSP42 2 port print server
> with 4 switched ports, connected to the first parallel port is a Samsung
> ML2150 printer
> Room 2 - Desktop PC running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates,
> connected to the wireless network via a DLink USB Wireless link (good
> signal
> connects at 54Mbs). This has Zone Alarm but I have tried with firewall
> switched off. (incidentally when I installed the dongle, it installed all
> by itself and although I have updated the driver to the one supplied by
> DLink - I cant access the program to get into the setup - but it seems to
> work OK)
> Anyroom - New HP laptop connected via wireless link.
>
> The set up ALMOST works perfectly, I can access internet and copy files to
> each PC - however I cant print!
>
> I have tried giving the LinkSys print serve its own fixed IP and I have
> tried letting the router allocate one. If I connect directly (with wires)
> to the print server and allocate fixed IP to the PC and print server then
> can print.
>
> In wireless mode I can access the control panel for the print server via a
> browser and its IP address and alter it's settings, even print a test page
> from this screen. I can access the print server using either the BiAdmin
> program or directly via the IP address from either PC and print test pages
> from these programs but NOT from windows.
>
> I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys printer
> port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has the same
> problem -
> just get print error when I try to print from Windows.
>
> I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?
>

> I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is somewhat a
> grey
> area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses
> exactly
> the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and DHCP
> allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!
>
> Ian

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 2:24:29 PM

Hi

Yes I have installed the installation on both PC's (both are wireless) and I
get the same problem with both, However if I connect with a LAN cable directy
to the Print server/switch and change the IP addresses to static - I can then
print OK - still using the virtual printing port. Go back to wireless and
DHCP allocaed address and it stops printing! Even though I can still "see"
the print servers setup at its new IP. Can print a test page from the print
server setup page from both locations.

"DJ Borell" wrote:

> Have you run the installation disk on the laptop? You need to install the
> virtual printer port on the laptop for the print server before Windows will
> be able to print.
>
> "Ian G" <iangott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o gdnwzKIFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Help - can anyone help me to print through this system?
> >
> > I have the following items
> > Room 1 - DLink Wireless ADSL router with built in ADSL modem, firewall and
> > 4
> > wired LAN ports, connected to this is a LinkSys EFSP42 2 port print server
> > with 4 switched ports, connected to the first parallel port is a Samsung
> > ML2150 printer
> > Room 2 - Desktop PC running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates,
> > connected to the wireless network via a DLink USB Wireless link (good
> > signal
> > connects at 54Mbs). This has Zone Alarm but I have tried with firewall
> > switched off. (incidentally when I installed the dongle, it installed all
> > by itself and although I have updated the driver to the one supplied by
> > DLink - I cant access the program to get into the setup - but it seems to
> > work OK)
> > Anyroom - New HP laptop connected via wireless link.
> >
> > The set up ALMOST works perfectly, I can access internet and copy files to
> > each PC - however I cant print!
> >
> > I have tried giving the LinkSys print serve its own fixed IP and I have
> > tried letting the router allocate one. If I connect directly (with wires)
> > to the print server and allocate fixed IP to the PC and print server then
> > can print.
> >
> > In wireless mode I can access the control panel for the print server via a
> > browser and its IP address and alter it's settings, even print a test page
> > from this screen. I can access the print server using either the BiAdmin
> > program or directly via the IP address from either PC and print test pages
> > from these programs but NOT from windows.
> >
> > I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys printer
> > port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has the same
> > problem -
> > just get print error when I try to print from Windows.
> >
> > I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?
> >

> > I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is somewhat a
> > grey
> > area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses
> > exactly
> > the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and DHCP
> > allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!
> >
> > Ian

a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 3:20:06 PM

"Ian G" <Ian G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D D6B4007-C96D-45E6-8633-98C12B39AF5B@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> Yes I have installed the installation on both PC's (both are wireless) and
> get the same problem with both, However if I connect with a LAN cable
> directy
> to the Print server/switch and change the IP addresses to static - I can
> then
> print OK - still using the virtual printing port. Go back to wireless and
> DHCP allocaed address and it stops printing! Even though I can still
> "see"
> the print servers setup at its new IP. Can print a test page from the
> print
> server setup page from both locations.

Can you print wirelessly when the PS has a static IP address? My guess is
that it has less to do with wired/wireless and more to do with the Dynamic
IP.

I haven't used the model you have, but the last time I installed a Linksys
Print Server, it gave me all kinds of problems, none of which were
persistent and therefore difficult to overcome. Even with everything
properly configured and communication verfied, it wouldn't always print.
Frankly, it became so problematic, that I finally gave up on it and
installed a box made out of junk parts (Duron 1000, 64 MB RAM, 16MB PCI
Video and a generic 10/100 NIC - had the parts laying around, so it cost me
nothing) running Red Hat 7.2 with a SMB print share. That's been running
for over a year and I haven't had to do anything with it since the
installation.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 9:16:19 PM

I have tried allocating a fixed address (I think I have tried both in the
range of the DHCP and outside it) but I was not sure which as the
instruction book said one thing and someone in a newsgroup said the other.

Now here is another thing I have just remembered - in the DLink router setup
there is something about a "bridge" where I can input an IP address - did
wonder if I should use this if I allocate a fixed IP to the print server.
I'm fine with electronics hard ware, not to bad with most software BUT IP
addresses and the black art of the inside of routers - now that's something
else!

"DJ Borell" <dborell@_remove_techmedix.com> wrote in message
news:o S%230q5NIFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "Ian G" <Ian G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D D6B4007-C96D-45E6-8633-98C12B39AF5B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > Yes I have installed the installation on both PC's (both are wireless)
and
> > get the same problem with both, However if I connect with a LAN cable
> > directy
> > to the Print server/switch and change the IP addresses to static - I can
> > then
> > print OK - still using the virtual printing port. Go back to wireless
and
> > DHCP allocaed address and it stops printing! Even though I can still
> > "see"
> > the print servers setup at its new IP. Can print a test page from the
> > print
> > server setup page from both locations.
> >

> Can you print wirelessly when the PS has a static IP address? My guess is
> that it has less to do with wired/wireless and more to do with the Dynamic
> IP.
>
> I haven't used the model you have, but the last time I installed a Linksys
> Print Server, it gave me all kinds of problems, none of which were
> persistent and therefore difficult to overcome. Even with everything
> properly configured and communication verfied, it wouldn't always print.
> Frankly, it became so problematic, that I finally gave up on it and
> installed a box made out of junk parts (Duron 1000, 64 MB RAM, 16MB PCI
> Video and a generic 10/100 NIC - had the parts laying around, so it cost
me
> nothing) running Red Hat 7.2 with a SMB print share. That's been running
> for over a year and I haven't had to do anything with it since the
> installation.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 9:16:20 PM

>I have tried allocating a fixed address (I think I have tried both in the
> range of the DHCP and outside it) but I was not sure which as the
> instruction book said one thing and someone in a newsgroup said the other.
>
> Now here is another thing I have just remembered - in the DLink router
> setup
> there is something about a "bridge" where I can input an IP address - did
> wonder if I should use this if I allocate a fixed IP to the print server.
> I'm fine with electronics hard ware, not to bad with most software BUT IP
> addresses and the black art of the inside of routers - now that's
> something
> else!

You want to assign the static IP outside the scope of your DHCP allocation.
You would only assign the IP within the scope if you have the ability to
define an exclusion in your DHCP server. As you are using DHCP from a
router, you likely do not have this ability.

As far as setting a bridge, I'm a little unsure what this may be
referencing, but fail to see how what I think of as a bridge would assist
your situation.

I would assign a static IP (ouside your DHCP scope), ensure the VPP is
installed, and attempt to print. Your PS should be addressable by both IP
and Host name. Once this configuration is in place, you may also want to
try powering everything down and then bringing it back up in this order:

1) Router
2) Print Server
3) Workstation / Laptop

This will ensure that everything is properly configured as far as IP
addresses. (You can also do this via IPCONFIG, but a reboot will be
required at the PS and router.)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 5, 2005 12:50:03 AM

Ian G wrote:
> [...]
>>> even print a test page from this screen. I can access the print
>>> server using either the BiAdmin program or directly via the IP
>>> address from either PC and print test pages from these programs but
>>> NOT from windows.
>>>
>>> I have set the printer up as a network printer using the LinkSys
>>> printer port driver and then a generic LPR port either way it has
>>> the same problem -
>>> just get print error when I try to print from Windows.
>>>
>>> I'm pulling my hair out over this! Can anyone help?
>>>

>>> I think the problem may lay in the router setup but this is
>>> somewhat a grey
>>> area for me. What is so strange is that I can ping all IP addresses
>>> exactly
>>> the same if I am connected with wires and fixed IP or wireless and
>>> DHCP allocated IP BUT I just cant print from windows!

You are running into the built-in problem with this Linksys print
server. It really needs a static IP address. Trust me on this; I've
had several of these. In fact, after futzing with these servers, I've
thrown in the towel and now use old laptops for parallel port print
servers. Linksys has never deigned to fix the things to overcome its
limitations. You will find that even with a static IP address, you will
have to reboot the server frequently since it simply gets lost on the
network when the router renews its lease. The things are simply
temperamental.

There are better parallel port print servers available - Hawking makes
decent ones, but even they have problems from time to time. But, if you
get yours working (and Bi-Admin is the key), you won't have continuing
problems since the servers don't last more than a year at best. It's
simply bad equipment that Linksys should be ashamed to market.

IMO, YMMV

a b F Wireless
March 5, 2005 6:23:32 PM

Hi all

Well that didn't solve it! I think I had tried this before but I was not
sure. I have now tried allocating the PS a network IP in the general range
of the router 198.168 etc but out of the defined range of 1 to 5 (that I
set) also completely out of the range i.e. 10.10.0.1 and neither work.
Strange when set to 10.10 etc I can still access that IP and the control
panel but it does not show up in my workgroup.

Another ideas? I'm not at that location now and wont be back till Monday so
I have not tried changing IP's as above and restarting in the order
suggestions. If I don't get anywhere with this - may have to return the
print server and use an old PC. I just thought the PS seemed a nicer
solution - also a pc presents problems with turning on and off because I
don't really have room for a monitor and keyboard in the very small room
where the printer is.

Before I get back on Monday does anyone know should I define the IP address
in the general network range (easier when resetting firewalls) or something
completely away from the network and DHCP range. Thanks

Ian

--
Disclaimer
The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal

> "Ian G" <iangott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried allocating a fixed address (I think I have tried both in the
> > range of the DHCP and outside it) but I was not sure which as the
> > instruction book said one thing and someone in a newsgroup said the
other.

> > Now here is another thing I have just remembered - in the DLink router
> > setup
> > there is something about a "bridge" where I can input an IP address -
did
> > wonder if I should use this if I allocate a fixed IP to the print
server.
> > I'm fine with electronics hard ware, not to bad with most software BUT
IP
> > addresses and the black art of the inside of routers - now that's
> > something
> > else!
> >

> You want to assign the static IP outside the scope of your DHCP
allocation.
> You would only assign the IP within the scope if you have the ability to
> define an exclusion in your DHCP server. As you are using DHCP from a
> router, you likely do not have this ability.
>
> As far as setting a bridge, I'm a little unsure what this may be
> referencing, but fail to see how what I think of as a bridge would assist
> your situation.
>
> I would assign a static IP (ouside your DHCP scope), ensure the VPP is
> installed, and attempt to print. Your PS should be addressable by both IP
> and Host name. Once this configuration is in place, you may also want to
> try powering everything down and then bringing it back up in this order:
>
> 1) Router
> 2) Print Server
> 3) Workstation / Laptop
>
> This will ensure that everything is properly configured as far as IP
> addresses. (You can also do this via IPCONFIG, but a reboot will be
> required at the PS and router.)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 5, 2005 6:23:33 PM

"Ian G" <iangott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o ZXqZfZIFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi all
>
> Well that didn't solve it! I think I had tried this before but I was not
> sure. I have now tried allocating the PS a network IP in the general
> range
> of the router 198.168 etc but out of the defined range of 1 to 5 (that I
> set) also completely out of the range i.e. 10.10.0.1 and neither work.
> Strange when set to 10.10 etc I can still access that IP and the control
> panel but it does not show up in my workgroup.
>
> Another ideas? I'm not at that location now and wont be back till Monday
> so
> I have not tried changing IP's as above and restarting in the order
> suggestions. If I don't get anywhere with this - may have to return the
> print server and use an old PC. I just thought the PS seemed a nicer
> solution - also a pc presents problems with turning on and off because I
> don't really have room for a monitor and keyboard in the very small room
> where the printer is.
>
> Before I get back on Monday does anyone know should I define the IP
> address
> in the general network range (easier when resetting firewalls) or
> something
> completely away from the network and DHCP range. Thanks
>
> Ian

Ok, to get very specific, this is how I would set it up:

1) The ADSL Router (DHCP Server) IP Address of 192.168.0.1/24
-- Give the DHCP Server the scope of 192.168.0.1/24 - 192.168.0.5/24
2) The PS - 192.168.0.6/24
3) The Desktop and Laptop - IP assigned dynamically

To make sure you're understanding, the static IP for the PS will be in the
same Network ID as the rest of the network, but it will *not* be within the
DHCP server's scope. This is the only way you can assign a static IP - if
you assign an IP statically that is *within* the scope, you risk your DHCP
server attempting to assign the IP address, thereby causing an IP conflict
(while this is unlikely in your scenario, it's best practice).

If you do not have the ability to define the scope for your DHCP services on
the ASDL router, then assign a static address to the PS that is high in the
range of valid IP addresses (in this scenario, give it somthing like
192.168.0.254). This will minimize any likelihood of the address being
assigned as your network will, presumably, not get that large.

On the Linksys PS that I used (briefly), I had the ability to assign the
workgroup/domain name. If you can do this, make sure it's properly set.
Then, rerun the printer install utility on your workstations to confirm that
the VPP is installed and properly pointing to the correct drivers.

Frankly, as both I and Quaoar have said, these things are notoriously
"quirky". Even if they are 100% properly installed, it *still* might not
work properly. They just aren't very well designed devices. In the end,
you may find running a system as your print server is just a much easier
option. Also, you have no need of a monitor / keyboard / mouse for the
system you run. Just use Windows Remote Desktop (after the OS is installed)
or a third-party app such as VNC to access it over the LAN on another
workstation. This is precisely how I administer (on the rare occassion that
I need to) the Linux box I'm running for my print server. I've had it
installed for over a year and have not once had to do anything with it
except apply an updates about once a month.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 5, 2005 10:35:28 PM

Many thanks for the reply

As I have said I am not back until Monday but can you clarify

Can I type in to an address 192.168.1.1/24 ? I had already set the range to
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5 as I thought that was the range. Sorry to be a
bit thick about this but it is really a black art to me.

Also I just had not thought about remote software - I have a copy of "PC
anywhere" also I have a copy of red hat Linux and an old PC. Sounds fun bur
I have a feeling it might take me longer to setup than this "bloody" print
server!! I might be looking for a Linux driver for the ML2150? Still I do
have an original copy of windows 98...

Thanks

Ian

PS will let you know how I get on with this..

"DJ Borell" <dborell@_remove_techmedix.com> wrote in message
news:o Aa%23vlaIFHA.2784@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> Frankly, as both I and Quaoar have said, these things are notoriously
> "quirky". Even if they are 100% properly installed, it *still* might not
> work properly. They just aren't very well designed devices. In the end,
> you may find running a system as your print server is just a much easier
> option. Also, you have no need of a monitor / keyboard / mouse for the
> system you run. Just use Windows Remote Desktop (after the OS is
installed)
> or a third-party app such as VNC to access it over the LAN on another
> workstation. This is precisely how I administer (on the rare occassion
that
> I need to) the Linux box I'm running for my print server. I've had it
> installed for over a year and have not once had to do anything with it
> except apply an updates about once a month.

March 5, 2005 10:35:29 PM

"Ian G" <iangott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o SXzzqbIFHA.572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Can I type in to an address 192.168.1.1/24 ? I had already set the range
> 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.5 as I thought that was the range. Sorry to be a
> bit thick about this but it is really a black art to me.

Ah, sorry, this is called "CIDR" (Classless Inter-Domain Routing)
addressing. In a nutshell, the "/24" represents the number of bits used for
the subnet mask. In this case, your Network ID is "192.168.0.0" and your
subnet mask is "255.255.255.0". Without getting technical about it, CIDR
addressing is simply another way of representing the subnet mask. To
understand how it works, you need to know how the IP addressing scheme works
and what a subnet mask is. Not to mention how to convert dotted decimal to
binary and vice versa.

> Also I just had not thought about remote software - I have a copy of "PC
> anywhere" also I have a copy of red hat Linux and an old PC. Sounds fun
> bur
> I have a feeling it might take me longer to setup than this "bloody" print
> server!! I might be looking for a Linux driver for the ML2150? Still I do
> have an original copy of windows 98...
>
> Thanks

Windows 98 will work, too. This may well be your best option if all you
want is to just get the printer networked and operational.

Although, you'd be surprised how many printer drivers are included with
Linux distributions. Note, however, that I mention Linux as it is free
(kind of). If you have no experience with it (and no interest in learning a
new OS), you'd be better off sticking with Windows. Although, Linux is
*not* as much the "geek" OS as it used to be, it is still, at times,
significantly different than Windows.

As far as PCAnywhere, that'll work, too. Frankly, though, it'd probably be
easier for you to run VNC (also free - www.realvnc.com) than PCAnywhere.
And if you use WinXP Pro or Win2000, Remote Desktop is the easiest
(especially since it's part of the OS, anyway.)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 9, 2005 1:41:11 AM

Hi

I've cracked it!! Finally about 1:00am in the morning!!! After an evening
of trying everything and talking to a lovely lady for an hour in the
Philippines on Linksys help desk. We went through everything she could
suggest - had a nice chat though. Finally suggested that I return the print
server and buy a wireless one!

So uninstalled everything, then hard rebooted both the wireless router and
the print server. Ran wires to the print server reloaded all software on
desktop and tried just this and got it working with fixed IP's - then
connected wireless router (turned off wireless bit first) found that I had
to connect the print server to LAN port No 1 to get it to work with DHCP
finally got this working OK - it will only work if the print server has a
fixed IP - made this 192.168.1.100 - Gateway address 192.168.1.1.

Then connected laptop with wire to the router - could not get this working
but finally figured it was Norton Internet security (the wizard normally
solves all networking problems).. You all following this?

Then turned on wireless and unplugged wires - desktop didn't work but laptop
did - it printed! (With firewall turned off - but not too worried as router
has a firewall)

So what was wrong with desktop? I have a DLink G112 USB thingy in this but
it did not install well the first time - it worked fine but I could not use
the configuration program but it worked fine could access internet and the
laptop files. I think this may have installed itself twice as it's terribly
slow to install. So deinstalled it - this did not work to well so searched
for left over bits in registry and deleted these. Reinstalled software for
the dongle and all works OK. I can print to the cupboard under the stairs!

Two very minor irritations - still cant print from laptop without turning
off Norton Firewall and still cant run Dlink Airplus utility

hope this helps someone in the future!!

Ian G

news:o GI3xydIFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!