Power down problems after SP2 with Brother printer

November 15, 2004 6:52:00 PM

Windows XP Pro, recently upgraded to SP2, with all updates.
Two computers with the same problem. One is a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop in
a docking station, the other is a Dell Optiplex GX260.
Both computers are attached to Brother MFC-9600 multi-function printers by
USB, which are used for printing only. The printer drivers are the default
drivers that come with Microsoft. Brother does not have XP drivers for this
printer.

Since upgrading to Service Pack 2, upon shutdown, Windows shuts down
normally, but does not power down the computer. The computer must be
powered down manually by holding the on/off button for 4 seconds.

Disconnecting the USB cable solves the problem. Moving the printer to a
known good, identical computer moves the problem along with the printer.

Shutting down the printer before the computer is not a very convenient work
around, as this model of printer has no on/off switch.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim C
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:10:59 PM

Brother support sent me a patch available here:

http://www.brother.com/pub/xpshutdown/upddrv.EXE

with instructions here:

http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/faq/f...

Tim C