What's the process for replacing a processor?

I've been running at 1.5 Ghz and 512 RAM and the game I like to play
online seems to be requiring more than that for smooth gameplay even
though their website says what I'm using is fine. Thus, I've decided
to upgrade both of these things...

I'm adding 512 RAM and want to upgrade the processor to 2.2 Ghz ... but
I don't want to pay someone $100 just to unplug one thing and plug in
another if that's all that's needed.

Can anyone tell me what has to happen, as exactly as possible, during a
processor change? :confused:

--
Stormbow
1 answer Last reply

    The RAM increase is a good idea and the CPU upgrade might
    solve your speed problem with the game. But also, consider
    what graphics card you have now and what a video card
    (graphics) upgrade would do. If you have on-board video,
    almost any new graphics card will speed up your games play.
    If you have an AGP slot, there are many graphics cards, with
    fast GPU, dedicated RAM and dedicated image processing. If
    you don't have an AGP slot, there are PCI graphics cards.

    I would get EVEREST from www.lavalys.com to see the details
    of the current setup and to use the benchmarking features.
    Then I'd add the system RAM first. You need to check to see
    what CPU your mobo will support and whether it needs a BIOS
    update to run that CPU?

    Changing the CPU is generally a plug and play operation but
    you do need to properly insert the CPU and install the new
    heat sink and fan. The new CPU will probably require a
    bigger, better cooler and fan. Retail boxed CPUs usually
    come with the correct heat sink and fan.

    "Stormbow" <Stormbow.1fset5@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    | I've been running at 1.5 Ghz and 512 RAM and the game I
    like to play
    | online seems to be requiring more than that for smooth
    gameplay even
    | though their website says what I'm using is fine. Thus,
    I've decided
    | to upgrade both of these things...
    |
    | I'm adding 512 RAM and want to upgrade the processor to
    2.2 Ghz ... but
    | I don't want to pay someone $100 just to unplug one thing
    and plug in
    | another if that's all that's needed.
    |
    | Can anyone tell me what has to happen, as exactly as
    possible, during a
    | processor change? :confused:
    |

    | --
    | Stormbow