Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Anonymous Takes Down Virgin Media Over Pirate Bay Block

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
May 9, 2012 7:59:08 PM

Compared to what can be done, this is just a warning message. I hope to see some more done so we can avoid governments telling us what can we search and what we can view on the internet.
Score
May 9, 2012 7:59:36 PM

Anonymous the little fly buzzing around waiting to get swatted.
Score
May 9, 2012 7:59:56 PM

so many hashtags
Score
May 9, 2012 8:01:55 PM

Its like the only thing these guys can do is repeated F5 attack, haha
Score
May 9, 2012 8:07:40 PM

This doesn't help at all. It hurts a company following a court order. While I don't agree with the bans on TPB, I can't agree with this current form of backlash against Virgin.
Score
May 9, 2012 8:11:25 PM

trapperThis doesn't help at all. It hurts a company following a court order. While I don't agree with the bans on TPB, I can't agree with this current form of backlash against Virgin.

Yeah... Anon is messing with a company just because the company is obeying a court order. If Anon wants to hit someone, then they should hit someone responsible for what they dislike, not someone who is also a victim.
Score
May 9, 2012 8:29:34 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Virgin's double talk. They don't agree with the court order, but are following it. Are they appealing or doing anything to prevent it from continuing? It really sounds like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Not saying they should directly defy a court order, but I don't think they mind it either. Virgin sells cable and the cable companies are no fans of TV piracy.
Score
May 9, 2012 8:33:10 PM

Withdrawn
Score
May 9, 2012 8:40:47 PM

*sarcasm*
Yeah, go Anonymous! Change the world by temporarily denying access to a single web page of millions! The powers that be are trembling at the might of your ability to mildly inconvenience a small number of people for a short period of time! Be sure to punish every company that's being forced to do things you don't like!
*/sarcasm*

I really wish news outlets would stop covering this bullshit. It's just stroking the already massively oversized egos of these kids. They aren't doing anything constructive, they won't accomplish any of their goals. It's just the next evolution of whining, except instead of whining quietly in their corner of the internet, they're whining to a global audience.

Stop giving these idiots the stage already.
Score
May 9, 2012 8:43:37 PM

Blocking Virgin is not going to help anyone. They were forced to as the article says.
Score
May 9, 2012 9:16:24 PM

just a pain it is that's all...it's more of an attack on TPB! People will use another site to get torrents out there etc..fact is you can't stop it! It just means people will find other ways round it. Simples
Score
May 9, 2012 9:17:30 PM

just a pain it is that's all...it's more of an attack on TPB! People will use another site to get torrents out there etc..fact is you can't stop it! It just means people will find other ways round it. Simples
Score
May 9, 2012 9:58:02 PM

the attack on virgin made the court order more prominent in the news, and could also get virgin or other companies to join the fight for our internet freedom

I like Anonymous' strategy here
Score
May 9, 2012 10:39:39 PM

Perhaps they should target the court who made this call and do something better than make it so people can't visit their website? Just pointing it out there that DDoS attacks aren't exactly complicated.
Score
May 9, 2012 11:16:03 PM

guzami77the attack on virgin made the court order more prominent in the news, and could also get virgin or other companies to join the fight for our internet freedomI like Anonymous' strategy here

I think that it's just proving Virgin wrong. They stood up for us, and then they were attacked.
Score
May 9, 2012 11:30:00 PM

I think that Anonymous UK's next attack should be on the UK Government's website and this time, do so much damage that it takes over a month to reinstate it. Winston Churchill is obviously no longer the leader of the UK because he would never have tolerated Nazi action like this court order. He probably would have been delighted to see the arrogant corporations losing money left and right.
Score
May 10, 2012 12:14:59 AM

Idiot Aion script kiddies attacking a company following court orders.
Score
May 10, 2012 1:47:26 AM

Anonymous - Just a bunch of shortsighted criminals.
Score
May 10, 2012 1:55:40 AM

Great, their clogging up the TOR network so they can run their downloaded DDoSer. Only idiots would bother attacking a big company for following a court order. Way to make everyone above 16 years old realise you are a bunch of dumb kids.

How about forming an activist group that proposes changes to the profit margins expected by media distributors, rather than stealing everything you want?

Don't get me wrong, $0.99 US is wrong to charge for ONE SONG. $12 us for a CD is outrageous too, but at least it isn't the almost $40 US Japanese customers are used to. An entire album (which 99% of the time only has 2 or 3 good songs) should be $5.00 US max. A new Blu-ray at $25 US? No friggin' way, try $10 US. That's about the same you'd have gotten by me going to the theatre anyway (theatre cuts vs disc printing etc)...

Anonymous has the same problem that the wall street 99%ers had: no real proposals for changing things, absolutely no structure to their organization (how can they when they are not even public?), and deter many who would support the cause because of their actions.

Grow up Anonymous. Or just go back to trolling on 4chan. Either way, stop doing this crap. The only fans you're getting are basement dwellers, pre-teens, and angsty teens. No matter how you look at it, only anti-social retards care about what you do.

/rant
Score
May 10, 2012 1:57:27 AM

This is what lazy kids do since getting off their asses and voting out the people who make they laws they dislike is too much like work. And you can forget any of these guys getting the balls to hiding behind a keyboard and actually take up a political career and help shape the future of online rights.
Score
May 10, 2012 1:57:39 AM

WOW reading the comments is kinda depressing....it seems most of the idiots here think that following the whims of the court and government is reasonable....it seems that following orders makes one immune to the fallout or consequences of thier decision....

you know what just cuz a court says something does not mean it should be followed or that it is constitution or lawful....

courts are full of shit, just look at history and this will be proven...but i guess follow courts isreasonable...i mean the courts in the USA in all their wisdom stated that Slaves only equal a fraction of a human being....courts also stated that its a crime to assist escaped slaves...

o yea lets all just blindly follow the whims of the court regardless of how many people are harmed by the decision, or the implications the decision will have on free society....

i wonder how many idiots here in the states will follow the courts when they eventually eliminate our second amendment rights....this is a stated and obvious goal it just seems no one cares about freedom or liberty...

Please follow the whims of teh courts when they order corporations to CENSOR the population, this is key to a free society....

now what all the sheep get offended since i dont OBEY every word of the ruling class....just go along to get along nothing wrong with that....

maybe they should follow suit with the one company who i read did not immediately comply with the order and instead waited for more legal information on the court decision....

but these companies are too busy working with the govt and their agenda to censor and clamp down on every aspect of personal freedom....
Score
May 10, 2012 2:01:19 AM

weak... i had a long thought out reply and it didnt post.

here is the bad grammar less well thought out version: anonymous = children using tools anyone could to "h5xx0r5" websites. getting nothing done. try forming an actual activist group and proposing helpful changes to the way things are done. cheaper cd's and dvd's. encouraging stealing is only hurting your argument, tards. way to alienate a massive chunk of society by outright endorsing theft.
Score
May 10, 2012 2:24:03 AM

trapperThis doesn't help at all. It hurts a company following a court order. While I don't agree with the bans on TPB, I can't agree with this current form of backlash against Virgin.

how about said company with millions upon millions of dollars actually takes a stand? grows a pair? stops being a mindless slave in these first world (lmao) countries?
Score
May 10, 2012 2:27:08 AM

Well, I think Anon missed the target and missed the point. They might be trying to preserve the freedom of the Internet, but that takes careful planning, I guess.
Score
May 10, 2012 2:29:33 AM

Anonymous....the A..holes of the Internet.
Giving legit IT people a bad name.
Score
May 10, 2012 3:11:55 AM

tk1138WOW reading the comments is kinda depressing....it seems most of the idiots here think that following the whims of the court and government is reasonable....it seems that following orders makes one immune to the fallout or consequences of thier decision....you know what just cuz a court says something does not mean it should be followed or that it is constitution or lawful....courts are full of ***, just look at history and this will be proven...but i guess follow courts isreasonable...i mean the courts in the USA in all their wisdom stated that Slaves only equal a fraction of a human being....courts also stated that its a crime to assist escaped slaves... o yea lets all just blindly follow the whims of the court regardless of how many people are harmed by the decision, or the implications the decision will have on free society....i wonder how many idiots here in the states will follow the courts when they eventually eliminate our second amendment rights....this is a stated and obvious goal it just seems no one cares about freedom or liberty...Please follow the whims of teh courts when they order corporations to CENSOR the population, this is key to a free society....now what all the sheep get offended since i dont OBEY every word of the ruling class....just go along to get along nothing wrong with that....maybe they should follow suit with the one company who i read did not immediately comply with the order and instead waited for more legal information on the court decision....but these companies are too busy working with the govt and their agenda to censor and clamp down on every aspect of personal freedom....

I'm pretty sure that a court order means you had better do what the court order says, or else you will be in deep ***.
Score
May 10, 2012 3:16:36 AM

tk1138Virgin media is a joke.... i like how "reasonable" is following what ever orders you are given from government regardless....yea i guess the nazis were reasonable for following hitlers orders (remember it started off innocient enough, simply relocating the jews and other "undesirables" to ghettos for their "own protection")or the troops who rounded up and imprisoned entire populations of the japanese on the west coast...because i guess following ones oath to the constitutions or freedom is secondary to infringing on peoples rights.....i wonder what other "reasonable" court orders will be followed next....after all its reasonable to go along with the whims of the courts.....what a joke....this company is ***....i hope the CEO is killed in the most brutal way possible....

Being told to block a site is very different from being a Nazi. Hoping that the CEO is killed for following a court order (which was just to block a site. If you want access to it, then just use a proxy) is absolutely ridiculous, especially when the company has voiced their stance as against the block and they want something else to be done, so that regular internet goers don't suffer for it. You compare them to Nazis, yet you're the one who wants someone to die for no good reason. You're a hypocrite of the worst sort.
Score
May 10, 2012 3:23:04 AM

zachusaman said:
how about said company with millions upon millions of dollars actually takes a stand? grows a pair? stops being a mindless slave in these first world (lmao) countries?

They did take a stand. They said that they thought the block was the wrong way to go. If they refused it, then they could have gotten screwed over. They're not being a mindless slave, they're obeying the law. Besides, once again, it doesn't even matter... Their customers can just use a proxy or VPN and voila, problem solved. They might not be worth millions and millions of dollars anymore if they refuse something like this. Growing a pair isn't screwing your company and it's employees just because you don't want to block TPB on your network.
Score
May 10, 2012 4:32:05 AM

hastenAnonymous articles brings out the characters on Toms I see.

I don't know if I could possibly agree with something more than I do with your comment there.
Score
May 10, 2012 5:51:29 AM

blazorthonThey did take a stand. They said that they thought the block was the wrong way to go. If they refused it, then they could have gotten screwed over. They're not being a mindless slave, they're obeying the law. Besides, once again, it doesn't even matter... Their customers can just use a proxy or VPN and voila, problem solved. They might not be worth millions and millions of dollars anymore if they refuse something like this. Growing a pair isn't screwing your company and it's employees just because you don't want to block TPB on your network.

Meekly going "well I don't agree" is by no means taking a stand. If you really believe that, I've got some magic beans to sell you. They know that being bedfellows with the media industry is not good for business and they'll pretend they don't agree. They did not immediately submit because they knew they would lose customers over it. If you want to know the character of the people you're treating as heroes, check out the wiki for Virgin Media and the controversies they've been involved in. They aren't your saviors.

The poster above's point about things like nazis and slavery is that the law is not absolute or always correct. Do you really think the Nazi party started by saying that they were going to gas people and eradicate half the world? Let yourself be controlled a bit and you won't realize when you've lost control completely. People with real character like MLK and Gandhi did not worry about the consequences of their actions.

Pay your taxes. Vote for one of the options you're told are your only options. Pick Red or Blue, you're voting for green anyway. Do what the man with the badge tells you. He wants you to come with him, so you'd better go.
Score
May 10, 2012 8:23:10 AM

I looked at their broadband prices and virgin makes it really cheap for 30 Mbps. If anon wants to take down an isp, try comcast for their rediculous prices.
Score
May 10, 2012 12:04:08 PM

willard*sarcasm*Yeah, go Anonymous! Change the world by temporarily denying access to a single web page of millions! The powers that be are trembling at the might of your ability to mildly inconvenience a small number of people for a short period of time! Be sure to punish every company that's being forced to do things you don't like!*/sarcasm*I really wish news outlets would stop covering this bullshit. It's just stroking the already massively oversized egos of these kids. They aren't doing anything constructive, they won't accomplish any of their goals. It's just the next evolution of whining, except instead of whining quietly in their corner of the internet, they're whining to a global audience.Stop giving these idiots the stage already.

You're a little harsh, but right nevertheless. Hacking could be constructive to deliver messages, if it had any real impact. Taking down a website for a few hours is far from having any impact. Accessing their Intranet and doing real damage by deleting valuable data would have a greater impact, but again, they always have backups outside the network on physical medias.
Score
May 10, 2012 12:11:23 PM

n3ard3athYou're a little harsh, but right nevertheless. Hacking could be constructive to deliver messages, if it had any real impact. Taking down a website for a few hours is far from having any impact. Accessing their Intranet and doing real damage by deleting valuable data would have a greater impact, but again, they always have backups outside the network on physical medias.

And again, those corporations have so much money, all it will do is piss them off. They'll do all they can to get back at you, all the while they continue any shady business they were already doing. What would really impress me is if they could hack Mainstream Medias and hijack their signal delivery infrastructure, and pass a bunch of messages saying people to wake up. But is that even feasible? And even if it was, they would need hours of broadcasting information that Mainstream Medias spend so much effort to blackout, to have any kind of real impact of people's psyche.
Score
May 10, 2012 12:18:32 PM

kinggravesMeekly going "well I don't agree" is by no means taking a stand. If you really believe that, I've got some magic beans to sell you. They know that being bedfellows with the media industry is not good for business and they'll pretend they don't agree. They did not immediately submit because they knew they would lose customers over it. If you want to know the character of the people you're treating as heroes, check out the wiki for Virgin Media and the controversies they've been involved in. They aren't your saviors.The poster above's point about things like nazis and slavery is that the law is not absolute or always correct. Do you really think the Nazi party started by saying that they were going to gas people and eradicate half the world? Let yourself be controlled a bit and you won't realize when you've lost control completely. People with real character like MLK and Gandhi did not worry about the consequences of their actions.Pay your taxes. Vote for one of the options you're told are your only options. Pick Red or Blue, you're voting for green anyway. Do what the man with the badge tells you. He wants you to come with him, so you'd better go.

Very nice rant sir.
Score
May 10, 2012 12:19:11 PM

Why not launch the DDOS against the court and the judge's personal internet connection, instead of blaming the victim?
Score
May 10, 2012 2:22:48 PM

kinggravesMeekly going "well I don't agree" is by no means taking a stand. If you really believe that, I've got some magic beans to sell you. They know that being bedfellows with the media industry is not good for business and they'll pretend they don't agree. They did not immediately submit because they knew they would lose customers over it. If you want to know the character of the people you're treating as heroes, check out the wiki for Virgin Media and the controversies they've been involved in. They aren't your saviors.The poster above's point about things like nazis and slavery is that the law is not absolute or always correct. Do you really think the Nazi party started by saying that they were going to gas people and eradicate half the world? Let yourself be controlled a bit and you won't realize when you've lost control completely. People with real character like MLK and Gandhi did not worry about the consequences of their actions.Pay your taxes. Vote for one of the options you're told are your only options. Pick Red or Blue, you're voting for green anyway. Do what the man with the badge tells you. He wants you to come with him, so you'd better go.

Ahh, yes... I'm treating them as heroes, aren't I? When did I even imply that they're my saviors? Does it even matter what controversies they were in for this conversation? All companies pull shit that they shouldn't be allowed to. I'm not some idito who thinks otherwise of any company and that includes Virgin Media. So, what are they supposed to do? If they lose customers, then those customers are left without internet until they get another ISP. Regardless of that, it's just blocking a single site that really doesn't even matter. Like I've already said, proxys and VPNs fix the problem easily. If you want a protest, then go form it yourselves. The law doesn't need to be correct. Why should they screw themselves over just because of a court order to block TPB when even doing that makes little difference at all through disregarding the court order?

Also, you can vote for anyone you want to in an election... Your vote doesn't even need to be for someone on the ballot anyway.

Go ahead, delude yourself into thinking that anything worth while would have come of Virgin Media doing something other than saying that the block was not the best course of action. Tell me, what do you think would have happened? Sure, something should be done about this, but this was neither the time nor the place.
Score
May 10, 2012 3:03:22 PM

I say attack the judge and court that made that order not virgin however virgin has a choice to comply or not. So this puts virgin in middle of a sh*t storm. Either way they will have a problem this is why the governments need to back off with controlling the internet and focus on BIGGER more serious issues the world is facing.
Score
Anonymous
May 10, 2012 3:12:57 PM

lol, much like tk1138, the reason Anon attacked Virgin Media is because they're nothing more than a bunch of script kiddies that dont understand the law. I'm sure there are laws you disagree with, but I seriously doubt you would break them if you knew 100% you would be fined or GO TO JAIL. We arent talking about running a stop light here. There's no way for Virgin to ignore a court order and have it slip under the radar. They would immediately be busted, fined millions of dollars, and possibly have members of the executive team prosecuted and sent to jail for WILLFULLY breaking the law.

You sir, are an IDIOT. Next time you want to talk about "ignoring court orders" go urinate on a cops car, punch him in the face, threaten to kill the president, and run away. See what happens.
Score
May 10, 2012 4:10:17 PM

Anonymous might be targeting the wrong people with this - I maintain that the reasoning behind blocking these sites just doesn't feel right. It's like if this was a community thing with the majority of the internet users saying "shut it down", I'd understand.

But the people responsible for forcing ISP's to block certain sites are multimillionaires - these are not poor people. I don't agree with buying illegal material but it just doesn't feel right hunting the Pirate Bay...is it just me? The internet is immense and it has mutated, but in it's mutation it's done more good than bad - it feels like they are trying to control too much...I don't like it
Score
May 10, 2012 4:51:58 PM

They are in a business. Their first responsibility is to make money for them and their shareholders not taking a stand for thieves. To loosely quote another poster he/she correctly stated that until these lazy people get off there gaming chairs in their parents basements and vote nothing is going to change like it or not that is the way it is.
Anon should be after lawmakers to change the laws instead of doing things that ruin it for the rest of us.

Score
May 10, 2012 5:01:46 PM

kentlowtThey are in a business. Their first responsibility is to make money for them and their shareholders not taking a stand for thieves. To loosely quote another poster he/she correctly stated that until these lazy people get off there gaming chairs in their parents basements and vote nothing is going to change like it or not that is the way it is.Anon should be after lawmakers to change the laws instead of doing things that ruin it for the rest of us.

Anon doesn't even know who to hit, let alone that attacking in their current methods is next to worthless. Letting them make the laws seems ever worse than our current predicament.
Score
May 10, 2012 5:12:12 PM

http://tpb.hoggeh.com/

Problem is solved, TPB is open to all who want it.

Now, if we could get rid of the extremists here... Seriously, hoping for the CEO to be killed over this? People like that should be in jail.
Score
May 10, 2012 8:50:25 PM

Google the slyratebay problem solved. All the tax payers money spent on trying to make isp's block TPB and it's as simple as this to get around.unreal!!!
Score
May 12, 2012 12:04:14 PM

if you checked my previous post over the block announcement article I said they would attack.
Score
Anonymous
May 15, 2012 7:15:56 PM

Let's just make the world a military state for the sakes of the rich media conglomerates.
I say, we the people, fight back by any means necessary.
Score
!