GA 8KNXP - Gigabit Pro1000 Network keeps disappearing - HE..

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I'm building a new system using the 8KNXP Rev 2 board, a Nvidia FX
5600 video, twin Kingston 512 modules and two WD120 as RAID 0 onn the
SI controller. While burning in, and it has now happened 3 times over
the last two weeks, the Intel network will disappear and demand to be
re-installed. The catch is that it WON'T re-install. It won't accept
the drivers on the Gigabyte disk or new downloaded drivers from the
Intel site. Hopefully, like in the past, I will leave it alonr in
frustration for a few days and I will be able to load drivers.

Has anyone had a similar occurance?

Doest anyone have any idea what's going on?

> I'm building a new system using the 8KNXP Rev 2 board, a Nvidia FX
> 5600 video, twin Kingston 512 modules and two WD120 as RAID 0 onn the
> SI controller. While burning in, and it has now happened 3 times over

My system is an 8KNXP rev 1, Nvidia Fx 5600 video, two OCZ 512
modules, and two WD40s as RAID0 on the ITE 8212F (and another IBM
60Gxp).

In other words, it seems like, for all intents, we have very similar
setups -- and I've had nothing but good performance/reliability from
the Intel gigabit card (and driver) under Linux.

You didn't really mention what OS you were using, but assuming it's
some version of Windows, have you tried using 'regedit' to find the
related keys in the registry and delete them? That may allow the
driver to be reinstalled.... Alternatively, this may be of use:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Kris

dilbert

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Kris, Thanks for answering. I should have added that I'm using XP Pro.
I also have an IBM DTLA 30GB hanging off IDE0.

When I booted up this morning the network adapter was there, working,
all I had to do was enter the network info and away it went. Not for
the first time!

It may be of use to someone: the IBM dirve mentioned above is
partitioned into 2, #1 I installed XP and all the drivers on the
Gigabyte disk onto and the second partition I Ghosted an image of the
first partition onto. I then set up the RAID drives and Ghosted the
image to them. Change the booting order in BIOS and it all works. This
way all the drivers for the other HD adapters are all installed and
nothing has to be installed during the XP installation.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:28:31 +1000, Dilbert <nospam@gotchal.com> wrote:

>I'm building a new system using the 8KNXP Rev 2 board, a Nvidia FX
>5600 video, twin Kingston 512 modules and two WD120 as RAID 0 onn the
>SI controller. While burning in, and it has now happened 3 times over
>the last two weeks, the Intel network will disappear and demand to be
>re-installed. The catch is that it WON'T re-install. It won't accept
>the drivers on the Gigabyte disk or new downloaded drivers from the
>Intel site. Hopefully, like in the past, I will leave it alonr in
>frustration for a few days and I will be able to load drivers.
>
>Has anyone had a similar occurance?
>
>Doest anyone have any idea what's going on?

I have a Soyo Dragon+ that has a problem with the built-in sound chip (CMedia)
disappearing. I banged my head for a while, sent it in to soyo, of course it
didn't happen for them, I got it back and it just did it's thing as before. I
wound up just buying another Dragon+ and it never happened once to that board.
I would suspect some intermittent hardware ghost interrupting your hardware. If
it's not too late, I would RMA the thing and get a new one.

wrote:

>Has anyone had a similar occurance?
>
>Doest anyone have any idea what's going on?

Not this specifically, but I've seen some pretty strange goings-on if
Command-Per-Clock is enabled. If yours is, try disabling it.

___

Buck Fush

Hi all

I'm running Red Hat 9 on an 8knxp which I bought recently. I have noticed that:
RH9 refuses to acknowledge the existence of the onboard lan (despite loading e1000.o as a module) or of the onboard sound.
Also, (under kde 3.2.2) I get intermittent problems with my mouse/keyboard. All of a sudden the keyboard will stop responding (but the mouse will continue to work) or the mouse will go haywire (as soon as the pointer stops moving it resets to bottom left hand corner) and the keyboard will continue to work. If I log out and log in the problem resolves. I can repeat it if I move the mouse before kde has finished loading, otherwise it seems random.

Seems to work on win2k pro, so probably not a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Brendan

You are not alone.

The onboard Pro 1000 port on my 8KNXP Rev 2 was missing on bootup one
morning after a thunderstorm the night before. I just assumed that it got zapped
during the storm. I went out and bought a replacement card to get everything
going again.

Two months later, I got a 'missing network connection' reported on bootup by
WinXP. The Pro 1000 had decided to reawakened after a long slumber!!! I did
nothing that would have prompted this. I removed the addin network card,
plugged my network cable into the Pro 1000 and it has been going strong
ever since.

Go figure!!!

P.S.
I would just install an el cheapo network card if this is the only thing flakey about
your motherboard. The shipping costs to return the board would exceed the cost
of a network card.