ET4, latest version -- work for you?

8KNXP, 3.06GHz w/HT enabled, XP pro up to date.

ET4 volunteered to update itself, and in an unguarded moment, I
thought, 'oh, what the hell'. Wasn't as bad as it could have been,
looks pretty much the same as the year-old version I'd been using.
Except for one thing, the SmartFan function. On the old version the
sub page didn't have much of anything and I never bothered with it.
The new version's page is a lot larger, with more detail. There's
only one problem, it appears for only about 200 ms, then the whole
application crashes and closes. Just for gits and shiggles I
uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same story. Has anyone gotten this
to work?

___

Buck Fush

Tim

Sorry Jim, but you are the last known user of ET4 in the universe.
Note that it won't be much use in later versions of Windows as the
architecture of the program falls into the prohibited / useless set.
- Tim

"Jim Kent" <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote in message
> 8KNXP, 3.06GHz w/HT enabled, XP pro up to date.
>
> ET4 volunteered to update itself, and in an unguarded moment, I
> thought, 'oh, what the hell'. Wasn't as bad as it could have been,
> looks pretty much the same as the year-old version I'd been using.
> Except for one thing, the SmartFan function. On the old version the
> sub page didn't have much of anything and I never bothered with it.
> The new version's page is a lot larger, with more detail. There's
> only one problem, it appears for only about 200 ms, then the whole
> application crashes and closes. Just for gits and shiggles I
> uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same story. Has anyone gotten this
> to work?
>
> ___
>
> Buck Fush

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

8KNXP, 3.0 PIV, yada

Get rid of ET4, it's dangerous. You can do everything it does in bios Yourself. I have also verified that the P IV fan can be controlled using SmartFan, nice little app, as is MotherBoard Monitor, both of which You can use to monitor voltages (SpeedFan's voltage readings are suspect tho), fan RPMs, temps, etc.

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:51:32 GMT, Jim Kent <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote:

>8KNXP, 3.06GHz w/HT enabled, XP pro up to date.
>
>ET4 volunteered to update itself, and in an unguarded moment, I
>thought, 'oh, what the hell'. Wasn't as bad as it could have been,
>looks pretty much the same as the year-old version I'd been using.
>Except for one thing, the SmartFan function. On the old version the
>sub page didn't have much of anything and I never bothered with it.
>The new version's page is a lot larger, with more detail. There's
>only one problem, it appears for only about 200 ms, then the whole
>application crashes and closes. Just for gits and shiggles I
>uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same story. Has anyone gotten this
>to work?
>
>___
>
>Buck Fush

I have a similar board (GA-8I875 Ultra) but only shows the N/B Fan, and it
does not crash..

I have just installed it, as MBM 5 was causing the Bios to alarm the PSU fan
when cold for some 5mins..

Some one posted this info as having the same problem..

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:24:24 GMT, Rick <yamist@tiac.net> wrote:

>8KNXP, 3.0 PIV, yada
>
> Get rid of ET4, it's dangerous. You can do everything it does in bios Yourself. I have also verified that the P IV fan can be controlled using SmartFan, nice little app, as is MotherBoard Monitor, both of which You can use to monitor voltages (SpeedFan's voltage readings are suspect tho), fan RPMs, temps, etc.

MBM 5 was causing the bios to alarm the PSU fan, even when the MBM 5 Alarm
option was disabled..

So I am not to happy about MBM 5..

>Tim wrote:
>> Sorry Jim, but you are the last known user of ET4 in the universe.
>> Note that it won't be much use in later versions of Windows as the
>> architecture of the program falls into the prohibited / useless set.
>> - Tim
>>
>> "Jim Kent" <j.g.kent@markusplace.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>8KNXP, 3.06GHz w/HT enabled, XP pro up to date.
>>>
>>>ET4 volunteered to update itself, and in an unguarded moment, I
>>>thought, 'oh, what the hell'. Wasn't as bad as it could have been,
>>>looks pretty much the same as the year-old version I'd been using.
>>>Except for one thing, the SmartFan function. On the old version the
>>>sub page didn't have much of anything and I never bothered with it.
>>>The new version's page is a lot larger, with more detail. There's
>>>only one problem, it appears for only about 200 ms, then the whole
>>>application crashes and closes. Just for gits and shiggles I
>>>uninstalled and reinstalled it. Same story. Has anyone gotten this
>>>to work?
>>>
>>>___
>>>
>>>Buck Fush

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:52:00 +1200, Dumdedo
<ddd@dumdumland.com> wrote:

>MBM 5 was causing the bios to alarm the PSU fan, even when the MBM 5 Alarm
>option was disabled..
>
>So I am not to happy about MBM 5..

Yeah, I knew about the bias against ET4 a while ago. I tried MBM and
had some anomalous behavior with that, actually worse than ET4. I
don't use ET4 to adjust anything, just to display the processor temp
and fan speed. Maybe it's worth giving MBM another shot though.

___

Buck Fush

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:14:04 GMT, Jim Kent <j.g.kent@markusplace.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:52:00 +1200, Dumdedo
><ddd@dumdumland.com> wrote:
>
>Yeah, I knew about the bias against ET4 a while ago. I tried MBM and
>had some anomalous behavior with that, actually worse than ET4. I
>don't use ET4 to adjust anything, just to display the processor temp
>and fan speed. Maybe it's worth giving MBM another shot though.

If that is all you want to do have a look at Speed Fan.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Will do what you want without many of the problems associated with
MBM.