Tick Tick in HDD?

Hi,
My 8GB Samsung Hard Disk is 5 years old. I am having Windows 2000Pro.
Yesterday, when I tred to boot my PC, i heard the tick-tick.. sound
followed by the message of harddisk failure. I restarted and tried to
auto detect hard disk from setup after pressing the <DEL> key (F2 in
some PCs). It is not detecting the HDD. I tried in manually setting
the parameters for HD and it also failed. I realized that some thing
is very serious in my HDD and started to hear the hard disk sound with
my ear very very close to the hard disk surface. I got the following
observation:
1. mild sound of disk rotation startup and speedup
2. the strong tick-tick (some times trick-trick or trilck-trilck)
sound.
3. mild sound of disk rotation slowing down.
these three sounds repeat and repeat.. this very unusual.

What can be the possible problem in my hard drive.. Is it in a dead
condition.. can ti be recovered or can the data inside recovered?
Please help me

Yours
R.Padmakumar

That is why doing back ups for the important data is
important. Your best bet is to buy a new hard drive and
install your operating system on that hard drive. Set the
jumpers on the old drive to slave and the new drive as
master. After you have the computer running on the new
drive see if you can read the data files from the old drive
and copy them to the new drive.
Sometimes you can make a worn old drive read if you put it
in a freezer (in a sealed bag) for an hour.

You can boot the computer from a floppy or a CD and see if
you can read the hard drive and copy the data to what ever
media you can, but I think that after 5 years a new drive
may be in order.

R.Padmakumar wrote:
> Hi,
> My 8GB Samsung Hard Disk is 5 years old. I am having Windows 2000Pro.

So why are you posting to a Windows XP group?!

> Yesterday, when I tred to boot my PC, i heard the tick-tick.. sound
> followed by the message of harddisk failure. I restarted and tried to
> auto detect hard disk from setup after pressing the <DEL> key (F2 in
> some PCs). It is not detecting the HDD. I tried in manually setting
> the parameters for HD and it also failed. I realized that some thing
> is very serious in my HDD and started to hear the hard disk sound with
> my ear very very close to the hard disk surface. I got the following
> observation:
> 1. mild sound of disk rotation startup and speedup
> 2. the strong tick-tick (some times trick-trick or trilck-trilck)
> sound.
> 3. mild sound of disk rotation slowing down.
> these three sounds repeat and repeat.. this very unusual.
>
> What can be the possible problem in my hard drive..

What do you reckon the "possible problem" is?! Or can't you understand a
simple error message?!

Is it in a dead
> condition..

You stupid or something?!

can ti be recovered or can the data inside recovered?

Of course it can - you can recover it from the weekly back-ups you so
religiously made...What, you didn't make any? Then you better be prepared to
shell out £1000s to a data recovery company...

on salads.

R.Padmakumar wrote:
> Hi,
> My 8GB Samsung Hard Disk is 5 years old. I am having Windows 2000Pro.
> Yesterday, when I tred to boot my PC, i heard the tick-tick.. sound
> followed by the message of harddisk failure. I restarted and tried to
> auto detect hard disk from setup after pressing the <DEL> key (F2 in
> some PCs). It is not detecting the HDD. I tried in manually setting
> the parameters for HD and it also failed. I realized that some thing
> is very serious in my HDD and started to hear the hard disk sound with
> my ear very very close to the hard disk surface. I got the following
> observation:
> 1. mild sound of disk rotation startup and speedup
> 2. the strong tick-tick (some times trick-trick or trilck-trilck)
> sound.
> 3. mild sound of disk rotation slowing down.
> these three sounds repeat and repeat.. this very unusual.
>
> What can be the possible problem in my hard drive.. Is it in a dead
> condition.. can ti be recovered or can the data inside recovered?
> Please help me
>
> Yours
> R.Padmakumar

See the many replies to your other post. Please don't multipost - if you
need to post to multiple groups, it's best to crosspost instead, by posting
a single message to a handful of relevant groups (separate the NG names with
commas) so that everyone can follow the thread. This makes it easier for
everyone, including you.