GA-7N400 Pro 2 - Computer Won't Post

Al

Unfortunately I can't leave my computer alone and I end up creating
problems for myself. I like the motherboard - lots of features and not
too expensive.

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev 1 + latest BIOS revision
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Twinmos 512 MB 3200 dual channel
Enermax Whisper 350W power supply
Antec Plusview 1000AMG case
Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste
Windows XP Pro
US Robotics wireless lan

My computer was working fine until I changed the fan/heatsink. I
wanted to lower the temperature although it wasn't too bad. I replaced
the stock fan with a Thermaltake Silent Boost. I had to cut off part
of the fan to fit it on to the motherboard but it still wasn't an easy
install.

For two weeks everything was fine. The new fan lowered the temp from
50 to 43 which was good but now it won't post. I just get a repeating
beep and no video. Everything powers up OK and I tested the power
supply which is OK. I didn't touch the memory which is good quality so
it shouldn't be the problem. I removed the CPU and fan and replaced
with the old fan. I removed the battery for awhile to clear the CMOS
but it still won't post.

I think this leaves the CPU and/or motherboard as the problem. My
questions are:

- How do I determine if it's the CPU or motherboard? I don't feel like
replacing both.
- If I buy a new CPU first will I just mess up another CPU with a bad
motherboard?
- If I buy a new motherboard first I still may not solve the problem.
(Any suggestions on alternatives - ASUS, Abit?) Can a bad CPU damage a
good motherboard? Regrettably a possibly bad installation may have
done some damage.
- Should I forget the new fan which is difficult to fit on the
GA-7N400?

I think I've messed around with my PC once too often. Any suggestions?

Al

Al <ajman51@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<v7fkd0tsehp5lisvvl32j7qo3ssc458v9k@4ax.com>...
> Unfortunately I can't leave my computer alone and I end up creating
> problems for myself. I like the motherboard - lots of features and not
> too expensive.
>
> Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev 1 + latest BIOS revision
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
> Twinmos 512 MB 3200 dual channel
> Enermax Whisper 350W power supply
> Antec Plusview 1000AMG case
> Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste
> Windows XP Pro
> US Robotics wireless lan
>
> My computer was working fine until I changed the fan/heatsink. I
> wanted to lower the temperature although it wasn't too bad. I replaced
> the stock fan with a Thermaltake Silent Boost. I had to cut off part
> of the fan to fit it on to the motherboard but it still wasn't an easy
> install.
>
> For two weeks everything was fine. The new fan lowered the temp from
> 50 to 43 which was good but now it won't post. I just get a repeating
> beep and no video. Everything powers up OK and I tested the power
> supply which is OK. I didn't touch the memory which is good quality so
> it shouldn't be the problem. I removed the CPU and fan and replaced
> with the old fan. I removed the battery for awhile to clear the CMOS
> but it still won't post.
>
> I think this leaves the CPU and/or motherboard as the problem. My
> questions are:
>
> - How do I determine if it's the CPU or motherboard? I don't feel like
> replacing both.
> - If I buy a new CPU first will I just mess up another CPU with a bad
> motherboard?
> - If I buy a new motherboard first I still may not solve the problem.
> (Any suggestions on alternatives - ASUS, Abit?) Can a bad CPU damage a
> good motherboard? Regrettably a possibly bad installation may have
> done some damage.
> - Should I forget the new fan which is difficult to fit on the
> GA-7N400?
>

> I think I've messed around with my PC once too often. Any suggestions?
>
> Al
You have to put cpu in another mobo.
Also it depends what sort of beeps do you get. If it is two short
beeps then it is graphic card, if they are followed by a continuous
beep then it is memory. Search for beep codes in google and in these
forums to get more.
It might be memory or graphic card to blame afterall.

Page 95 in the manual has the beep codes.
It sounds like a memory problem.
If it was the board or the CPU it couldn't give you beep codes.

Getting the CPU down to 43° C was good 'messin' around'

JPS

"Al" <ajman51@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Unfortunately I can't leave my computer alone and I end up creating
> problems for myself. I like the motherboard - lots of features and not
> too expensive.
>
> Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev 1 + latest BIOS revision
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
> Twinmos 512 MB 3200 dual channel
> Enermax Whisper 350W power supply
> Antec Plusview 1000AMG case
> Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste
> Windows XP Pro
> US Robotics wireless lan
>
> My computer was working fine until I changed the fan/heatsink. I
> wanted to lower the temperature although it wasn't too bad. I replaced
> the stock fan with a Thermaltake Silent Boost. I had to cut off part
> of the fan to fit it on to the motherboard but it still wasn't an easy
> install.
>
> For two weeks everything was fine. The new fan lowered the temp from
> 50 to 43 which was good but now it won't post. I just get a repeating
> beep and no video. Everything powers up OK and I tested the power
> supply which is OK. I didn't touch the memory which is good quality so
> it shouldn't be the problem. I removed the CPU and fan and replaced
> with the old fan. I removed the battery for awhile to clear the CMOS
> but it still won't post.
>
> I think this leaves the CPU and/or motherboard as the problem. My
> questions are:
>
> - How do I determine if it's the CPU or motherboard? I don't feel like
> replacing both.
> - If I buy a new CPU first will I just mess up another CPU with a bad
> motherboard?
> - If I buy a new motherboard first I still may not solve the problem.
> (Any suggestions on alternatives - ASUS, Abit?) Can a bad CPU damage a
> good motherboard? Regrettably a possibly bad installation may have
> done some damage.
> - Should I forget the new fan which is difficult to fit on the
> GA-7N400?
>

> I think I've messed around with my PC once too often. Any suggestions?
>
> Al

TRENDING THREADS