GA 8KNXP RH9 Linux problems (repost)

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 5:50:15 PM

(sorry posted to thread, when I mean to post as new thread)

Hi all

I'm running Red Hat 9 on an 8knxp which I bought recently. I have noticed that:
RH9 refuses to acknowledge the existence of the onboard lan (despite loading e1000.o as a module) or of the onboard sound. Also, (under kde 3.2.2) I get intermittent problems with my mouse/keyboard. All of a sudden the keyboard will stop responding (but the mouse will continue to work) or the mouse will go haywire (as soon as the pointer stops moving it resets to bottom left hand corner) and the keyboard will continue to work. If I log out and log in the problem resolves. I can repeat it if I move the mouse before kde has finished loading, otherwise it seems random.
Seems to work on win2k pro, so probably not a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 6:44:33 PM

For those who are interested, the onboard lan needs to use a newer version of e1000.o than the one shipped with RH9.

Download e1000-5.2.52.tar.bz from intel site, make install, reboot.

So now looking for ideas on keyboard etc.

Brendan S (Scratch User) wrote:
> (sorry posted to thread, when I mean to post as new thread)
>
> Hi all
>
> I'm running Red Hat 9 on an 8knxp which I bought recently. I have
> noticed that:
> RH9 refuses to acknowledge the existence of the onboard lan (despite
> 3.2.2) I get intermittent problems with my mouse/keyboard. All of a
> sudden the keyboard will stop responding (but the mouse will continue to
> work) or the mouse will go haywire (as soon as the pointer stops moving
> it resets to bottom left hand corner) and the keyboard will continue to
> work. If I log out and log in the problem resolves. I can repeat it if I
> move the mouse before kde has finished loading, otherwise it seems random.
> Seems to work on win2k pro, so probably not a hardware issue.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2004 11:02:01 AM

> For those who are interested, the onboard lan needs to use a newer version of
> e1000.o than the one shipped with RH9.

An easier way is just to download a newer kernel 2.4 series kernel and
recompile it .... I think that RH9 shipped with 2.4.21, if I'm not
mistaken, and the fixed e1000 driver didn't make it in until 2.4.22.

(It would probably be advisable for you to upgrade and patch your
kernel anyway, due to that critical FPU security issue identified a
few weeks ago ...)

Kris
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2004 11:08:54 AM

Hi,

> RH9 refuses to acknowledge the existence of the onboard lan (despite loading
> e1000.o as a module) or of the onboard sound. Also, (under kde 3.2.2) I get

Download/obtain a more recent kernel... (I've successfully run 2.4.x
series and 2.6.x series on my 8KNXP-based system for some time now,
without any problems.) That will fix your e1000 problem.

> intermittent problems with my mouse/keyboard. All of a sudden the keyboard
> will stop responding (but the mouse will continue to work) or the mouse
> will go haywire (as soon as the pointer stops moving it resets to bottom

Hmm. Odd. You didn't mention if the mouse/keyboard were PS2 or USB,
or whether or not your problem appeared strictly in X or at the
console (under, say, gpm). (Not to mention the fact that you didn't
really mention what kind of keyboard or mouse you had ;)  .... Given
the lack of info, it's hard to say for sure where the problem might
be. I'd probably begin by going through the XF86Config file and
checking to make sure that it's setup correctly. (A quick way to
check the mouse is probably to run 'redhat-config-mouse' ...)

Kris
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 10:09:23 PM

Kris Vorwerk wrote:
>>For those who are interested, the onboard lan needs to use a newer version of
>>e1000.o than the one shipped with RH9.
>

> An easier way is just to download a newer kernel 2.4 series kernel and
> recompile it .... I think that RH9 shipped with 2.4.21, if I'm not
> mistaken, and the fixed e1000 driver didn't make it in until 2.4.22.
>
> (It would probably be advisable for you to upgrade and patch your
> kernel anyway, due to that critical FPU security issue identified a
> few weeks ago ...)

Yes, I would like to upgrade my kernel, but am too scared, and unqualified, to do so at the moment. I'm trying to judge reactions to FC2 and maybe will install that. However I run KDE3.2.2 and don't want it to be blown away by an upgrade. I guess I could reinstall it.

Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 28, 2004 10:23:52 PM

Kris Vorwerk wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>RH9 refuses to acknowledge the existence of the onboard lan (despite loading
>>e1000.o as a module) or of the onboard sound. Also, (under kde 3.2.2) I get
>

> Download/obtain a more recent kernel... (I've successfully run 2.4.x
> series and 2.6.x series on my 8KNXP-based system for some time now,
> without any problems.) That will fix your e1000 problem.

Does your onboard audio work?

>>intermittent problems with my mouse/keyboard. All of a sudden the keyboard
>>will stop responding (but the mouse will continue to work) or the mouse
>>will go haywire (as soon as the pointer stops moving it resets to bottom
>
> Hmm. Odd. You didn't mention if the mouse/keyboard were PS2 or USB,
> or whether or not your problem appeared strictly in X or at the
> console (under, say, gpm). (Not to mention the fact that you didn't

Hmmm.. .don't know. I think it's just under X. Every once in a while the keyboard generates a repeating character until I hit another key (like a string of 8s)

> really mention what kind of keyboard or mouse you had ;)  .... Given
> the lack of info, it's hard to say for sure where the problem might
> be. I'd probably begin by going through the XF86Config file and
> checking to make sure that it's setup correctly. (A quick way to
> check the mouse is probably to run 'redhat-config-mouse' ...)

They are both PS2 devices. The keyboard is an old dell quietkey US layout. Mouse is a logistar minimouse (although same thing happens on my samsung optical mouse). redhat-config-mouse just lists it as generic ps/2, which I guess it is.

Brendan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 3:31:35 PM

> Does your onboard audio work?

Yuppers -- everything on my 8KNXP system works fine under linux
(audio, SATA, IDE RAID, etc.). I've presently got Fedora Core 2
running on an IDE RAID0 array (using the rather nasty ITE 8212F kernel
driver).

If you're a little hesitant about compiling your own kernel, you could
always install "apt" and then "apt-get" a precompiled kernel. (See
http://apt.freshrpms.net ...) But the simplest solution is probably
just to download the latest 2.4 series kernel and compile it.

> Hmmm.. .don't know. I think it's just under X. Every once in a while
> the keyboard generates a repeating character until I hit another key (like
> a string of 8s)

Weird. Can't say I've seen that before.

Kris
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2004 3:34:33 PM

> Yes, I would like to upgrade my kernel, but am too scared, and unqualified,
> to do so at the moment. I'm trying to judge reactions to FC2 and maybe will
> install that. However I run KDE3.2.2 and don't want it to be blown away by an
> upgrade. I guess I could reinstall it.

RedHat didn't ship with KDE 3.2.2, if I recall -- which, I'm assuming,
means that you installed it yourself. Building your own kernel isn't
much more difficult than downloading and compiling the entire KDE
suite. :)

Or, as I mentioned in the previous post, you could get a copy of
"apt", and then "apt-get upgrade" your kernel.

Kris
!