Hard Drive Size Limit in Bios

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 7:57:53 AM

I am running an 8PE667 Ultra board with the latest available bios
(F3 10-16-02) and Windows XP Home. Will this bios recognize a drive bigger
than 137gb, such
as 160 or 200gb?

Thanks...

Steven
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 10:40:58 AM

"Steven Spiegel" <fixindad@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I am running an 8PE667 Ultra board with the latest available bios
> (F3 10-16-02) and Windows XP Home. Will this bios recognize a drive bigger
> than 137gb, such
> as 160 or 200gb?

I do not know about the board in question but I have just had this
'problem'. If you are going to partition the drive using fdisk you will need
the latest version; I use the one from the ME start-up disk. The last
partition could not be seen in Windows Explorer until I went to Admin Tools
in the control panel and looked at the partitions in the disk management
section. I was able to format the drive - in my case the last partition -
and give it a drive letter. You do need to have installed Service Pack 1 to
get 48 bit addressing, which is what is required.
!