I have installed an ASUS P4VP-MX motherboard and have loaded XP Pro
SP2 but when I installed a firewire card, I have tried 3 different
cards, it is using the same IRQ as USB leading to the machine hanging
every time I try to capture video. Windows is happy that the card is
working and it recognises the video camera when it is connected.
Anyone have any thoughts as to why the firewire card is not taking its
own IRQ .

Any help thankfully received

Dave

Nowadays, Windows XP is using ACPI to assign IRQ lines to devices. This
allows IRQs > 15 and can cause conflicts. The only way, normally, to
separate IRQs is to change the PCI slots of the card. Move the firewire
card to a different slot.

"Dave Bolan" <dbolan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have installed an ASUS P4VP-MX motherboard and have loaded XP Pro
> SP2 but when I installed a firewire card, I have tried 3 different
> cards, it is using the same IRQ as USB leading to the machine hanging
> every time I try to capture video. Windows is happy that the card is
> working and it recognises the video camera when it is connected.
> Anyone have any thoughts as to why the firewire card is not taking its
> own IRQ .
>
> Any help thankfully received
>
> Dave

Thanks for the reply ,
sorry I forgot to mention that I have tried all 3 slots on the board
but windows seems determined only to use irq's < 15 , although ACPI
was enabled on the motherboard I am beginning to wonder if it was when
windows was installed and whether windows has 'remembered' the
original setting.
I think a format and reinstall may be in order

Dave