CPU temp differences?

Just loaded Motherboard Monitor 5, to try to track down an annoying
problem. Thought it might be a heat issue, but now I can't tell. First,
here are my system specs:
GA7-N400 Pro2 (Rev1)
AthlonXP 2400+ (not overclocked)
Vantec AeroFlow heatsink / fan
Antec TruePower 550w
Case has two additional exhaust fans, and one intake fan
36GB Western Digital Raptor
2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDs (RAID-0)
1x120GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
ATI Radeon 9700Pro (stock fan)

Now for the problem.
Immediatly after rebooting, going into the BIOS, the BIOS reports a CPU
temp of 51c (after some game playing) MBM5 is right now reporting a CPU
temp of 75c. The system has only been running since the reboot for about
5-10 minutes, and I have done in the meantime is to start this post...

Is it possible MBM is misreading the CPU temp? Or does the GA7N-400 not
read from the CPUs on-die temp sensor?

Thanks,
Jason A.

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

Are you sure you are specifying the proper sensor type in MBM?

"Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Just loaded Motherboard Monitor 5, to try to track down an annoying
> problem. Thought it might be a heat issue, but now I can't tell. First,
> here are my system specs:
> GA7-N400 Pro2 (Rev1)
> AthlonXP 2400+ (not overclocked)
> Vantec AeroFlow heatsink / fan
> Antec TruePower 550w
> Case has two additional exhaust fans, and one intake fan
> 36GB Western Digital Raptor
> 2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDs (RAID-0)
> 1x120GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
> ATI Radeon 9700Pro (stock fan)
>
> Now for the problem.
> Immediatly after rebooting, going into the BIOS, the BIOS reports a CPU
> temp of 51c (after some game playing) MBM5 is right now reporting a CPU
> temp of 75c. The system has only been running since the reboot for about
> 5-10 minutes, and I have done in the meantime is to start this post...
>
> Is it possible MBM is misreading the CPU temp? Or does the GA7N-400 not
> read from the CPUs on-die temp sensor?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason A.
>
> --
> -------------------------------------
> Reply to for SPAM only
>
> All others use:
> m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk
>
> Remove spaces to send
> Thank you
> -------------------------------------

I believe so. MBM gives 2x3 choices for the temp sensors:
ITE8712-F-X or ITE8712-F-X-diode.
If I set it to diode, it reports my CPU temp as about -75-77c. Sensor 1
seems to be the case temp (reports 34c), and sensor 3 I have no clue what
or where, but it reports about 29-30c.

Or it could be that I'm a dufus...
I just ran through the config wizard for MBM, and selected the rev2 GA7-
N400 Pro2. Now my CPU is reporting 52c, 34c case, and 0 for sensor 3.

D'oh!

;)

Thanks,
Jason A.

"Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> waxed eloquent in

> Are you sure you are specifying the proper sensor type in MBM?
>
> "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> Just loaded Motherboard Monitor 5, to try to track down an annoying
>> problem. Thought it might be a heat issue, but now I can't tell.
>> First, here are my system specs:
>> GA7-N400 Pro2 (Rev1)
>> AthlonXP 2400+ (not overclocked)
>> Vantec AeroFlow heatsink / fan
>> Antec TruePower 550w
>> Case has two additional exhaust fans, and one intake fan
>> 36GB Western Digital Raptor
>> 2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDs (RAID-0)
>> 1x120GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
>> ATI Radeon 9700Pro (stock fan)
>>
>> Now for the problem.
>> Immediatly after rebooting, going into the BIOS, the BIOS reports a
>> CPU temp of 51c (after some game playing) MBM5 is right now
>> reporting a CPU temp of 75c. The system has only been running since
>> the reboot for about 5-10 minutes, and I have done in the meantime is
>> to start this post...
>>
>> Is it possible MBM is misreading the CPU temp? Or does the GA7N-400
>> not read from the CPUs on-die temp sensor?

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

The MBM site should have a list of mobos and their proper sensor settings.
I'm not familiar with the Wizard, and I don't recall seeing that option on
the version I'm running (v5.3.4). The 52° CPU temp you now see sounds
fairly normal. My P4 (I know, apples and oranges) runs about 41°C in this
26-27° room (summer) with a Zalman 7000Cu installed.

Touch the CPU heatsink, and if it is truly running at 75°C it should feel
*very* hot.

> I believe so. MBM gives 2x3 choices for the temp sensors:
> ITE8712-F-X or ITE8712-F-X-diode.
> If I set it to diode, it reports my CPU temp as about -75-77c. Sensor 1
> seems to be the case temp (reports 34c), and sensor 3 I have no clue what
> or where, but it reports about 29-30c.

> Or it could be that I'm a dufus...
> I just ran through the config wizard for MBM, and selected the rev2 GA7-
> N400 Pro2. Now my CPU is reporting 52c, 34c case, and 0 for sensor 3.
>
> D'oh!
>
> ;)
>
> Thanks,
> Jason A.
>
> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> waxed eloquent in
>

> > Are you sure you are specifying the proper sensor type in MBM?
> >
> > "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >> Just loaded Motherboard Monitor 5, to try to track down an annoying
> >> problem. Thought it might be a heat issue, but now I can't tell.
> >> First, here are my system specs:
> >> GA7-N400 Pro2 (Rev1)
> >> AthlonXP 2400+ (not overclocked)
> >> Vantec AeroFlow heatsink / fan
> >> Antec TruePower 550w
> >> Case has two additional exhaust fans, and one intake fan
> >> 36GB Western Digital Raptor
> >> 2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDs (RAID-0)
> >> 1x120GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
> >> ATI Radeon 9700Pro (stock fan)
> >>
> >> Now for the problem.
> >> Immediatly after rebooting, going into the BIOS, the BIOS reports a
> >> CPU temp of 51c (after some game playing) MBM5 is right now
> >> reporting a CPU temp of 75c. The system has only been running since
> >> the reboot for about 5-10 minutes, and I have done in the meantime is
> >> to start this post...
> >>
> >> Is it possible MBM is misreading the CPU temp? Or does the GA7N-400
> >> not read from the CPUs on-die temp sensor?
> >>

> --
> -------------------------------------
> Reply to for SPAM only
>
> All others use:
> m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk
>
> Remove spaces to send
> Thank you
> -------------------------------------

whats is ur ambient temp.?

==============

MBM 5.3.7.0

Has a setup wizard, that lists all the boards supported by MBM. You pick
yours, and all the sensors are pre-setup.

Thanks..

> The MBM site should have a list of mobos and their proper sensor
> settings. I'm not familiar with the Wizard, and I don't recall seeing
> that option on the version I'm running (v5.3.4). The 52° CPU temp you
> now see sounds fairly normal. My P4 (I know, apples and oranges) runs
> about 41°C in this 26-27° room (summer) with a Zalman 7000Cu
> installed.
>
> Touch the CPU heatsink, and if it is truly running at 75°C it should
> feel *very* hot.
>
> "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> I believe so. MBM gives 2x3 choices for the temp sensors:
>> ITE8712-F-X or ITE8712-F-X-diode.
>> If I set it to diode, it reports my CPU temp as about -75-77c.
>> Sensor 1 seems to be the case temp (reports 34c), and sensor 3 I have
>> no clue what or where, but it reports about 29-30c.

>> Or it could be that I'm a dufus...
>> I just ran through the config wizard for MBM, and selected the rev2
>> GA7- N400 Pro2. Now my CPU is reporting 52c, 34c case, and 0 for
>> sensor 3.
>>
>> D'oh!
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason A.
>>
>> "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net> waxed eloquent in
>>

>> > Are you sure you are specifying the proper sensor type in MBM?
>> >
>> > "Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote in message

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

Wish I could be more specific, but I helped a friend set up one of those
boards and the Wizard is all messed up. We finally got it right, but it
took us quite a long time to do it. In the end, you can pretty much trust
what the BIOS is telling you. When you have MBM saying the same thing as
BIOS, you've found the right combination. From what I can recall, we found
that settings for a different Gigabyte board worked - I wish I could tell
you what board that was.
d.
==
> MBM 5.3.7.0
>
> Has a setup wizard, that lists all the boards supported by MBM. You pick
> yours, and all the sensors are pre-setup.

If the BIOS shows a temp of 51 and MBM says something much higher, what
possible effect could the ambient temp have? It is totally unrelated to
this problem.
d.
====

"German News Server" <dsterner1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Wish I could be more specific, but I helped a friend set up one of those
> boards and the Wizard is all messed up. We finally got it right, but it
> took us quite a long time to do it. In the end, you can pretty much trust
> what the BIOS is telling you.

Yes, of course...

When you have MBM saying the same thing as
> BIOS, you've found the right combination.

MBM is discontinued! - get Speedfan if u want an intelligent monitor ( for a
change)

:)
steve