What's the process for replacing a processor?

Here's what Everest showed me:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>
> Motherboard
> CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1600 MHz (12 x 133) 1900+
> Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR
> DIMM, Audio)
> Motherboard Chipset SiS 735
> System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
> BIOS Type AMI (02/06/02)
>
> Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 (64 MB)
> 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
> Monitor Compaq Presario MV500 [15" CRT] (847BF48OWD58)
>
> Multimedia
> Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio DeviceI read in the Motherboard manual that the board supports 200/266 MHz
Front-Side Bus; this means that I'd be getting a different processor
than I'd originally posted (2.0 GHz that fits the 266 MHz speed instead
of the originally considered 2.2 GHz that fits at 400 MHz). That, of
course, if I was still considering replacing the processor and keeping
this motherboard.

I have to say, after having looked through some of the things Everest
has to show...well, you tell me:> Physical Memory
> Total 511 MB
> Used 468 MB
> Free 43 MB
> Utilization 91 %Does it look like someone (currently running the game and a couple web
browsers with the above memory stats given) could use more memory? Me
thinkest I do.

Incorrect Processor : $139.95
Correct 2.0GHZ AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ 266MHZ 256K SOCKET-A AXDC2400DOEM :
$96.75
Correct 512MB DDR PC2100 266MHZ 64X64 184PIN upgrade : $71.56
(AGP card) 128MB GIGABYTE GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV AGP BULK GVN40128TE :
$47.73
(AGP card) 128MB JATON GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV/AGP8X 3DFORCEMX4000 :
$48.92

Given the above prices, it looks like a Video Card upgrade and/or
Memory upgrade would be the best things for me to do (for the lowest
price).

Does that sound about right? (Many many thanks to both of you guys for
helpin' me with this quandary.)

--
Stormbow

Glad to help. EVEREST is a neat program, isn't it.

A graphics upgrade and more RAM would be a good place to
spend a few dollars. Just keep in minds the cost of a
complete upgrade, also keep in mind the cost of software if
your current OS and applications are OEM licensed only to
the old mobo/hardware.

"Stormbow" <Stormbow.1fu9h2@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

| Here's what Everest showed me:
| > Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
| >
| > Motherboard
| > CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1600 MHz (12 x 133) 1900+
| > Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR
DIMM, 2 DDR
| > DIMM, Audio)
| > Motherboard Chipset SiS 735
| > System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
| > BIOS Type AMI (02/06/02)
| >
| > Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 (64 MB)
| > 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
| > Monitor Compaq Presario MV500 [15" CRT] (847BF48OWD58)
| >
| > Multimedia
| > Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio DeviceI read in the
Motherboard manual that the board supports 200/266 MHz
| Front-Side Bus; this means that I'd be getting a different
processor
| than I'd originally posted (2.0 GHz that fits the 266 MHz
speed instead
| of the originally considered 2.2 GHz that fits at 400
MHz). That, of
| course, if I was still considering replacing the processor
and keeping
| this motherboard.
|
| I have to say, after having looked through some of the
things Everest
| has to show...well, you tell me:> Physical Memory
| > Total 511 MB
| > Used 468 MB
| > Free 43 MB
| > Utilization 91 %Does it look like someone (currently
running the game and a couple web
| browsers with the above memory stats given) could use more
memory? Me
| thinkest I do.
|
| Incorrect Processor : $139.95
| Correct 2.0GHZ AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ 266MHZ 256K SOCKET-A
AXDC2400DOEM :
| $96.75
| Correct 512MB DDR PC2100 266MHZ 64X64 184PIN upgrade :
$71.56
| (AGP card) 128MB GIGABYTE GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV AGP BULK
GVN40128TE :
| $47.73
| (AGP card) 128MB JATON GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV/AGP8X
3DFORCEMX4000 :
| $48.92
|
| Given the above prices, it looks like a Video Card upgrade
and/or
| Memory upgrade would be the best things for me to do (for
the lowest
| price).
|
| Does that sound about right? (Many many thanks to both of
you guys for
| helpin' me with this quandary.)
|

| --
| Stormbow

I would skip the CPU upgrade. Your GF Ti is the main bottleneck right now. I
would go with any of the newer GeForce 5000 class GPU's (since you seem to
be budgeted.) Don't go for the 6800's with your CPU, it will be wasted.
Go here to read reviews of each one:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
then you can find the prices here: http://www.newegg.com

The RAM upgrade would be your second best bet. 512 is usually OK for most
games. 1 GB is better :)

"Stormbow" <Stormbow.1fu9h2@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Here's what Everest showed me:
> > Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> >
> > Motherboard
> > CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1600 MHz (12 x 133) 1900+
> > Motherboard Name ECS K7S5A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR
> > DIMM, Audio)
> > Motherboard Chipset SiS 735
> > System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
> > BIOS Type AMI (02/06/02)
> >
> > Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 (64 MB)
> > 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
> > Monitor Compaq Presario MV500 [15" CRT] (847BF48OWD58)
> >
> > Multimedia
> > Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio DeviceI read in the Motherboard manual that
the board supports 200/266 MHz
> Front-Side Bus; this means that I'd be getting a different processor
> than I'd originally posted (2.0 GHz that fits the 266 MHz speed instead
> of the originally considered 2.2 GHz that fits at 400 MHz). That, of
> course, if I was still considering replacing the processor and keeping
> this motherboard.
>
> I have to say, after having looked through some of the things Everest
> has to show...well, you tell me:> Physical Memory
> > Total 511 MB
> > Used 468 MB
> > Free 43 MB
> > Utilization 91 %Does it look like someone (currently running the game
and a couple web
> browsers with the above memory stats given) could use more memory? Me
> thinkest I do.
>
> Incorrect Processor : $139.95
> Correct 2.0GHZ AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ 266MHZ 256K SOCKET-A AXDC2400DOEM :
> $96.75
> Correct 512MB DDR PC2100 266MHZ 64X64 184PIN upgrade : $71.56
> (AGP card) 128MB GIGABYTE GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV AGP BULK GVN40128TE :
> $47.73
> (AGP card) 128MB JATON GEFORCE MX4000 DDR TV/AGP8X 3DFORCEMX4000 :
> $48.92
>
> Given the above prices, it looks like a Video Card upgrade and/or
> Memory upgrade would be the best things for me to do (for the lowest
> price).
>
> Does that sound about right? (Many many thanks to both of you guys for
> helpin' me with this quandary.)
>

> --
> Stormbow

And when you can afford it, a 19 inch CRT will improve the
view and will support better refresh rates (if the graphics
card is properly matched [such as the GF 5000 with 128 MB
GRAM])