I have attempted to restore my boot drive with PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 but
now I can't get the new drive to boot. When the computer tries to boot, I
get a black screen with "Boot failure".

The old drive is a 60Gb drive. Prior to the upgrading to the new drive
(120Gb), the old drive was a second drive (drive E:). Drive C: had a
have the single 120Gb drive. When I restored the drive using DriveImage,
DriveImage would not let me select the advanced option for "Copy MBR". I
couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me. Using DriveImage, I connected
both the old and new drives to the PC and just moved the data across.

DriveImage appears to have moved everthing from the 60Gb drive to the new
120Gb drive without error.

I can boot from the WinXP Setup CD and choose the NT Console Repair option
and successfully log onto the C:\WINDOWS installation.

I have tried running BOOTCFG /REBUILD to get the boot menu to recognise that
the Windows installlation was no longer on the second drive. BOOTCFG
successfully finds the installation at C:\WINDOWS and I choose to Add it to
the menu. Still get "Boot failure"

I have tried FIXMBR. I got the warning message about inaccessable partitions
and I chose to continue. Still get "Boot failure"

I have tried FIXBOOT C:. Still get "Boot failure"

Is there anything else that I can check or try?

Regards,

Troy..

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Troy Cox wrote:
> I have attempted to restore my boot drive with PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0 but
> now I can't get the new drive to boot. When the computer tries to boot, I
> get a black screen with "Boot failure".
>
> The old drive is a 60Gb drive. Prior to the upgrading to the new drive
> (120Gb), the old drive was a second drive (drive E:). Drive C: had a
> have the single 120Gb drive. When I restored the drive using DriveImage,
> DriveImage would not let me select the advanced option for "Copy MBR". I
> couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me. Using DriveImage, I connected
> both the old and new drives to the PC and just moved the data across.
>
> DriveImage appears to have moved everthing from the 60Gb drive to the new
> 120Gb drive without error.
>
> I can boot from the WinXP Setup CD and choose the NT Console Repair option
> and successfully log onto the C:\WINDOWS installation.
>
> I have tried running BOOTCFG /REBUILD to get the boot menu to recognise that
> the Windows installlation was no longer on the second drive. BOOTCFG
> successfully finds the installation at C:\WINDOWS and I choose to Add it to
> the menu. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> I have tried FIXMBR. I got the warning message about inaccessable partitions
> and I chose to continue. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> I have tried FIXBOOT C:. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> Is there anything else that I can check or try?
>
> Regards,
>
> Troy..

What do you mean by "moved the data across"? Unless you made a clone of
the old drive that has the OS on it, you will not get a bootable OS on
the new drive.

jimbo

"Troy Cox" <troycox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have attempted to restore my boot drive with PowerQuest DriveImage 7.0
but
> now I can't get the new drive to boot. When the computer tries to boot, I
> get a black screen with "Boot failure".
>
> The old drive is a 60Gb drive. Prior to the upgrading to the new drive
> (120Gb), the old drive was a second drive (drive E:). Drive C: had a
> have the single 120Gb drive. When I restored the drive using DriveImage,
> DriveImage would not let me select the advanced option for "Copy MBR". I
> couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me. Using DriveImage, I connected
> both the old and new drives to the PC and just moved the data across.
>
> DriveImage appears to have moved everthing from the 60Gb drive to the new
> 120Gb drive without error.
>
> I can boot from the WinXP Setup CD and choose the NT Console Repair option
> and successfully log onto the C:\WINDOWS installation.
>
> I have tried running BOOTCFG /REBUILD to get the boot menu to recognise
that
> the Windows installlation was no longer on the second drive. BOOTCFG
> successfully finds the installation at C:\WINDOWS and I choose to Add it
> the menu. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> I have tried FIXMBR. I got the warning message about inaccessable
partitions
> and I chose to continue. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> I have tried FIXBOOT C:. Still get "Boot failure"
>
> Is there anything else that I can check or try?
>
> Regards,
>
> Troy..

- What's your system partition: FAT32 or NTFS?
- Did you check if your system partition is set to "active"?
- What happens when you boot with a WinXP boot floppy disk?
- Have you considered using a small partition (10..15 GBytes)
for your OS & apps and reserving the rest for data? It makes
life much, much easier! Some releases of Win2000 would
not boot if the boot files were outside a certain area on the
hard disk. I do not know if this is still an issue with WinXP.
If it is then you could easily solve it by reducing the size of
your system partition.

How to make a WinXP boot disk:
- Format a floppy disk on some Win2000/XP PC.
Don't do it on a Win9x PC - it won't work.
- Copy these files from the \i386 folder of your WinXP CD
to A:\
ntldr
ntdetect.com
- Create a file a:\boot.ini with these lines
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=3
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
Professional" /fastdetect