"Serious Error" on startup

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have a system that we have just reinstalled WinXP Home SP1 onto. Clean
install, only needed to salvage some documents and internet favorites.

System is a white box, with a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE board, with an Athlon 1400
CPU. While I had the system here, ran beautifully. Attached was an HP K60,
and standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Returned to owner, who has the MS
Internet USB Keyboard.

After installing the keyboard in safe mode, we now get a Serious Error has
occured screen just after the system seems to stabilize within XP. The
details are as follows:

BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 804EDBDB
BCP3: F8BFFAA8
BCP4: F8BFF7A8
OSVer: 5_1_2600
SP: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I cannot find any details within this screen to indicate what specifically
is generating this message. It just started appearing after the USB
keyboard was attached. The keyboard seems to be a few years old, so I am
(my bad) assuming XP SP1 knows about it.

What is this error message telling me, other than the obvious?

By "installing the (USB) keyboard" do you mean you installed the drivers
first?

r.

"-" <dspamnourbane@novoyagerspam.net> wrote in message
>I have a system that we have just reinstalled WinXP Home SP1 onto. Clean
> install, only needed to salvage some documents and internet favorites.
>
> System is a white box, with a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE board, with an Athlon 1400
> CPU. While I had the system here, ran beautifully. Attached was an HP
> K60,
> and standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Returned to owner, who has the MS
> Internet USB Keyboard.
>
> After installing the keyboard in safe mode, we now get a Serious Error has
> occured screen just after the system seems to stabilize within XP. The
> details are as follows:
>
> BCCode: 1000007e
> BCP1: C0000005
> BCP2: 804EDBDB
> BCP3: F8BFFAA8
> BCP4: F8BFF7A8
> OSVer: 5_1_2600
> SP: 1_0
> Product: 768_1
>
> I cannot find any details within this screen to indicate what specifically
> is generating this message. It just started appearing after the USB
> keyboard was attached. The keyboard seems to be a few years old, so I am
> (my bad) assuming XP SP1 knows about it.
>
> What is this error message telling me, other than the obvious?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I had the system boot into safe mode, then I connected the keyboard so it
could "install" it, then when it finished, I rebooted normally.

Hope that helps,

Dan

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> By "installing the (USB) keyboard" do you mean you installed the drivers
> first?
>
> r.
>

> "-" <dspamnourbane@novoyagerspam.net> wrote in message
> >I have a system that we have just reinstalled WinXP Home SP1 onto. Clean
> > install, only needed to salvage some documents and internet favorites.
> >
> > System is a white box, with a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE board, with an Athlon
1400
> > CPU. While I had the system here, ran beautifully. Attached was an HP
> > K60,
> > and standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Returned to owner, who has the MS
> > Internet USB Keyboard.
> >
> > After installing the keyboard in safe mode, we now get a Serious Error
has
> > occured screen just after the system seems to stabilize within XP. The
> > details are as follows:
> >
> > BCCode: 1000007e
> > BCP1: C0000005
> > BCP2: 804EDBDB
> > BCP3: F8BFFAA8
> > BCP4: F8BFF7A8
> > OSVer: 5_1_2600
> > SP: 1_0
> > Product: 768_1
> >
> > I cannot find any details within this screen to indicate what
specifically
> > is generating this message. It just started appearing after the USB
> > keyboard was attached. The keyboard seems to be a few years old, so I
am
> > (my bad) assuming XP SP1 knows about it.
> >
> > What is this error message telling me, other than the obvious?

"-" <dspamnourbane@novoyagerspam.net> wrote:

>I have a system that we have just reinstalled WinXP Home SP1 onto. Clean
>install, only needed to salvage some documents and internet favorites.
>
>System is a white box, with a Gigabyte GA-7ZXE board, with an Athlon 1400
>CPU. While I had the system here, ran beautifully. Attached was an HP K60,
>and standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Returned to owner, who has the MS
>Internet USB Keyboard.
>
>After installing the keyboard in safe mode, we now get a Serious Error has
>occured screen just after the system seems to stabilize within XP. The
>details are as follows:
>
>BCCode: 1000007e
>BCP1: C0000005
>BCP2: 804EDBDB
>BCP3: F8BFFAA8
>BCP4: F8BFF7A8
>OSVer: 5_1_2600
>SP: 1_0
>Product: 768_1
>
>I cannot find any details within this screen to indicate what specifically
>is generating this message. It just started appearing after the USB
>keyboard was attached. The keyboard seems to be a few years old, so I am
>(my bad) assuming XP SP1 knows about it.
>
>What is this error message telling me, other than the obvious?

See MVP Jim Eshelman's STOP errors page at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm and click on the "7E: System
Thread..." link in the left side column.

Is USB keyboard support enabled in the System BIOS setup? It may be
called "legacy USB devices" or similar.

Does the problem disappear if the USB keyboard is removed and a
regular PS/2 keyboard connected instead?

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Problem is less intermittent with PS/2 keyboard attached. Bios setting is
for Kybd/Mouse/Floppy for legacy USB.

I am looking into the Event Viewer for hints as to what is going on, as
well. I cannot find references to when the "Serious Error" happens, but
there is a bugcheck that is causing the machine to reboot. I need to get
the minidump info and see if it hints at any causes.