GA-7VAXP new Barton 2500+ CPU erratic temp readings

MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
speed)

System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.

I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
Any suggestions would be welcome!

Robert Butler

LOl! my friend had this problem too and we juz fixed it, remove the
JP1 connector on ur motherboard, its somewhere near your batt. refer
to your mobo manual for more..

==============

Thanks for the advice, but there is no jumper J1 on this board anywhere,
only header with jumpers on it is for surround sound settings.

"Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
> CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
> Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
> System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
> speed)
>
> System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
> temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
> temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.
>
> I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
> Any suggestions would be welcome!
>
> Robert Butler

I had one of these boards for a year and ended up with a XP 2600+ 2.08GHz
processor in it. I am assuming you are reading the temperature via the BIOS.
I have a good heatsing on mine - Q-TEC Model 13724 - using heatsink compound
(the white stuff). I have heard that Artic Silver is better but have not
found any so far. The Q-TEC is about £7 at computer fairs. It has to be put
on the right way round as it partly misses the processor if it is the wrong
way round; usually the processor shuts down. To get the correct speed with
mine SW1 had to be set to 166MHz.

HOLD ON! its your jumper, like i said JP1 or something like that, if
you cant find it refer to your manual and find this 2 pin thingy near
your batt, i should have a connector shorting the 2 pins, setting it
to auto, remove it and it would be set to manual and you would be
able to config your fsb to 333, please believe me..

==============

John Hardaker wrote:
> "Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
>>CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
>>Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
>>System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
>>speed)
>>
>>System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
>>temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
>>temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.
>>
>>I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
>>Any suggestions would be welcome!
>>
>>Robert Butler
>

> I had one of these boards for a year and ended up with a XP 2600+ 2.08GHz
> processor in it. I am assuming you are reading the temperature via the BIOS.
> I have a good heatsing on mine - Q-TEC Model 13724 - using heatsink compound
> (the white stuff). I have heard that Artic Silver is better but have not
> found any so far. The Q-TEC is about £7 at computer fairs. It has to be put
> on the right way round as it partly misses the processor if it is the wrong
> way round; usually the processor shuts down. To get the correct speed with
> mine SW1 had to be set to 166MHz.

166Mhz is what I assumed too, but system won't post unless I have it set
to 100 Mhz. I think It has something to do with DDR doubling the
frequency. Also, I found a little blurb that said you must have DDR333
RAM in order to run 333Mhz FSB. Well, I have DDR400 on it, and I don't
think I want to spend money to downgrade. Also Ctrl-F1 in the bios
doesn't give me any kind of expert mode. (Bios rev. F14). The CPU was
in a retail box that had been opened and the heat sink compund was
missing, you could tell that it had been installed and removed. I'm
thinking I may just have a bad CPU here.

Went through the entire manual several times and can't find it anywhere.
There are 2 DIP switches to set bus freq. to 100, 133 or 166, and a 6
switch DIP to set multiplier, but no JP!. If you find it in your
manual, let me know what it is. There is an unlabeled jumper on the
board w/2 pins, but no jumper connected to it. Thanks.

LaNc3r wrote:
> HOLD ON! its your jumper, like i said JP1 or something like that, if
> you cant find it refer to your manual and find this 2 pin thingy near
> your batt, i should have a connector shorting the 2 pins, setting it
> to auto, remove it and it would be set to manual and you would be
> able to config your fsb to 333, please believe me..
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Looks like he has v1.1 of this board.
JPS

> Went through the entire manual several times and can't find it anywhere.
> There are 2 DIP switches to set bus freq. to 100, 133 or 166, and a 6
> switch DIP to set multiplier, but no JP!. If you find it in your
> manual, let me know what it is. There is an unlabeled jumper on the
> board w/2 pins, but no jumper connected to it. Thanks.
>

> LaNc3r wrote:
> > HOLD ON! its your jumper, like i said JP1 or something like that, if
> > you cant find it refer to your manual and find this 2 pin thingy near
> > your batt, i should have a connector shorting the 2 pins, setting it
> > to auto, remove it and it would be set to manual and you would be
> > able to config your fsb to 333, please believe me..
> >
> > ==============
> > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

sw1 to 166
Multiplier to 11
JPS

"Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
> CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
> Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
> System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
> speed)
>
> System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
> temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
> temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.
>
> I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
> Any suggestions would be welcome!
>
> Robert Butler

err.. no i dont have this board, its my friend's. i have a 8KNXP.
anyways, how is it now?

==============

jpsga wrote:
> sw1 to 166
> Multiplier to 11
> JPS
>
> "Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
>>CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
>>Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
>>System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
>>speed)
>>
>>System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
>>temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
>>temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.
>>
>>I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
>>Any suggestions would be welcome!
>>
>>Robert Butler

New problem: the northbridge fan is getting very noisy, sometimes stops
spinning. Cleaned it with air, no diff. Is there someplace other than
gigabyte that I can get a replacemement fan?

Robert Butler wrote:
> System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
> speed)
>
> jpsga wrote:
>
>> sw1 to 166
>> Multiplier to 11
>> JPS
>>
>> "Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> MB: GA-7VAXP Rev 1.0
>>> CPU: AMD Barton 2500+
>>> Clock Ratio DIP Switch Setting: Default (auto)
>>> System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
>>> speed)
>>>
>>> System will post, but shows a 1100 Mhz CPU, and shows very erratic
>>> temperature readings, from normal to 225f! Doesn't say at one
>>> temperature long, but moves up and down very erratically.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what multiplier, ect. settings to use for Barton 2500+.
>>> Any suggestions would be welcome!
>>>
>>> Robert Butler

Jim

I found a heatsink kit with much larger fins and no fan.
It's very quiet now and has been for about 6 months.
The secret is the taller fins (abt 4X). Then forget the fan.
Jim

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:59:42 GMT, Robert Butler <butler@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>New problem: the northbridge fan is getting very noisy, sometimes stops
>spinning. Cleaned it with air, no diff. Is there someplace other than
>gigabyte that I can get a replacemement fan?
>
>Robert Butler wrote:
>> System Bus Frequency DIP switch setting: 100Mhz (won't post at any other
>> speed)
>>
>> jpsga wrote:
>>
>>> sw1 to 166
>>> Multiplier to 11
>>> JPS
>>>
>>> "Robert Butler" <butler@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

Thanks, Jim. do you remember where you found this kit?

> Thanks, Jim. do you remember where you found this kit?
>

> Jim wrote:
> > I found a heatsink kit with much larger fins and no fan.
> > It's very quiet now and has been for about 6 months.
> > The secret is the taller fins (abt 4X). Then forget the fan.
> > Jim
> >
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 15:59:42 GMT, Robert Butler <butler@austin.rr.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>New problem: the northbridge fan is getting very noisy, sometimes stops
> >>spinning. Cleaned it with air, no diff. Is there someplace other than
> >>gigabyte that I can get a replacemement fan?

JSP is right . SW1 to auto ( off ) position
Clock Ratio to 11 means all 6 little white switches to ON position.
The heat issue could be wrong installation of the heatsink or thermal paste.
I have the same board . My athlon xp 2000+ runs great with TT silent boost.
35 to 38 degrees C and not too noisy. Good luck !

And if you really want a replacement from Gigabyte, they'll send you one,
takes a week. They will suggest that you take it to the vendor for
replacement. Insist that you are capable of removing and replaceing 4
screws:)