DDR Ram on Gigabyte

I have a new motherboard
(http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400%20Pro.h
tm) that takes DDR Ram. It has four DIMM slots and takes upto 3GB.
I probably will never need more than 1GB of PC3200 (DDR 400) Ram.
My question is would you (at the same time) purchase one stick of 1GB; or 2
sticks of 512mb; or 4 sticks of 256mb.
Does 1GB or RAM using 1,2 or 4 sticks affect the performance at all.

Also just another quick question; can I still run the above Ram (DDR 400) OK
with a FSB 200 CPU (XP2000) or should the CPU ideally be 400

Thanks

JS

get 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR400 and run them in dual channel mode ... you're
then getting the best performance you can atm but if you ever need more ram
(there's always something that does!) you can add more later. If you get 1x
1Gb you won't get dual channel mode (obviously) and if you get 2x 256Mb then
you won't have any room left for expansion.

I don't think there would be much, if any, difference running dual channel
between 2x 512Mb and 4x 256Mb.

HTH

Mal

"Jolly Sailor" <dancing_queen4u@nospambtopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I have a new motherboard

(http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400%20Pro.h
> tm) that takes DDR Ram. It has four DIMM slots and takes upto 3GB.
> I probably will never need more than 1GB of PC3200 (DDR 400) Ram.
> My question is would you (at the same time) purchase one stick of 1GB; or
2
> sticks of 512mb; or 4 sticks of 256mb.
> Does 1GB or RAM using 1,2 or 4 sticks affect the performance at all.
>
> Also just another quick question; can I still run the above Ram (DDR 400)
OK
> with a FSB 200 CPU (XP2000) or should the CPU ideally be 400
>
> Thanks
>
> JS

Thanks Mal

"Mal" <mincer2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> get 2 sticks of 512Mb DDR400 and run them in dual channel mode ... you're
> then getting the best performance you can atm but if you ever need more
ram
> (there's always something that does!) you can add more later. If you get
1x
> 1Gb you won't get dual channel mode (obviously) and if you get 2x 256Mb
then
> you won't have any room left for expansion.
>
> I don't think there would be much, if any, difference running dual channel
> between 2x 512Mb and 4x 256Mb.
>
> HTH
>
> Mal
>

> "Jolly Sailor" <dancing_queen4u@nospambtopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > I have a new motherboard

(http://uk.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7N400%20Pro.h
> > tm) that takes DDR Ram. It has four DIMM slots and takes upto 3GB.
> > I probably will never need more than 1GB of PC3200 (DDR 400) Ram.
> > My question is would you (at the same time) purchase one stick of 1GB;
or
> 2
> > sticks of 512mb; or 4 sticks of 256mb.
> > Does 1GB or RAM using 1,2 or 4 sticks affect the performance at all.
> >
> > Also just another quick question; can I still run the above Ram (DDR
400)
> OK
> > with a FSB 200 CPU (XP2000) or should the CPU ideally be 400
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > JS

Agree with Mal on the two sticks of PC3200 running in mem slot 1 and 3.
**** Some food for thought....
Use caution adding more mem.... insure you meet the single and
double sided mem stick requirements in the manual. As a rule, I haven't
seen much success running four sticks.
You'll notice most other mobo's have only three slots..."wonder why..."
I am running 2X512 PC2700's Mushkin Extreme....it's plenty!!! with an XP2800
(FSB333)
Also about running your mem @ 400.... all i've read says the best
performance comes from running it
synchronous with the cpu. Means your ram is at the same speed as your FSB
..... Put it at 100% in the BIOS. If you overclock...then your mem
will increase the same as your FSB.
Just looked....your running an xp2000 with a FSB of 200. Which means you
need to set the clk switch to
"OFF" on your mobo. You will not be able to run your memory at 400 with
this 200 fsb cpu.
But you can run it at 200 all day long..... Your mem will be good if you
upgrade your processor to either an
XP 2500-3200 with a FSB at 333 OR an XP 2800-3200 with a FSB at 400.
If you could get the memory to run at 400(not!!) it will be competly
outrunning the cpu fsb speed...CRASH!!
Get you a new processor... the XP2500 (FSB) is $80 with free shipping at
Newegg. That will
provide some substancial gain over the xp2000.

Cheers Bro....