ZIO does not support their products in Windows XP SP2?

I have a ZIO Smart Media card reader. I use this reader to recover my smart
media card when my camera no longer recognizes it. I use the SMPREP utility
to do a low level format and my camera can now read the card.

The last week I needed to reformat my card and found that I could not access
the reader under Windows XP SP2. I had an old image of SP1, so I reverted
back to SP1. The card reader worked.

I then email ZIO requesting a SP2 compatible driver/SMPREP utility. This
was their response...

----------------------------

Hello,
We do not support our devices on Windows SP.2.
Thank you,
Zio Corp Technical Support

-------------------------

To me, this makes no sense. I understand that Windows has its own drivers
for the card reader, but the SMPREP utility looks for the ZIO drivers.

Anyone have a solution? (BTW, the camera is an Olympus 3030Z) Is there a
way to prevent windows from writing to the SM card? I have check the option
to disable thumbnail caching in explorer. I am only copying the pictures
from the card and not cutting.

Corey H

Mr Helper wrote:
> I have a ZIO Smart Media card reader. I use this reader to recover my smart
> media card when my camera no longer recognizes it. I use the SMPREP utility
> to do a low level format and my camera can now read the card.
>
> The last week I needed to reformat my card and found that I could not access
> the reader under Windows XP SP2. I had an old image of SP1, so I reverted
> back to SP1. The card reader worked.
>
> I then email ZIO requesting a SP2 compatible driver/SMPREP utility. This
> was their response...
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Hello,
> We do not support our devices on Windows SP.2.
> Thank you,
> Zio Corp Technical Support
>
> -------------------------
>
> To me, this makes no sense. I understand that Windows has its own drivers
> for the card reader, but the SMPREP utility looks for the ZIO drivers.
>
> Anyone have a solution? (BTW, the camera is an Olympus 3030Z) Is there a
> way to prevent windows from writing to the SM card? I have check the option
> to disable thumbnail caching in explorer. I am only copying the pictures
> from the card and not cutting.
>
> Corey H

No problem - always use the camera to format the card, instead of XP.
I have a ZIO CF reader on my XP Pro SP2 PC, and it works fine for reads and
for writes.
--
Cheers, Bob

They will have to support SP2, since it is the current shipping version.
Check back periodically so as to see if any updates become available. In
the mean time, use the work around solution mentioned before.