Fastest CPU for a GA7DX

Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I'm trying to find out whether I can run a Thoroughbred 2400 or 2600 on
a Gigabyte GA-7DX (AMD761 chipset). Gigabyte haven't tested those
combinations, but they have on what I think are almost identical boards
apart from having RAID etc (eg GA-7DXR) and given them the OK.

But they also seem to say the CPU multiplier only goes up to 12.5, which
gives a maximum of 1666MHz ie XP 2000. Would faster CPUs normally
override that, or would they be limited to 2000 speed?

--
The address in the Reply-To is genuine and should not be edited.
See <http://www.realh.co.uk/contact.html> for more reliable contact addresses.

ME

Tony Houghton wrote:

> I'm trying to find out whether I can run a Thoroughbred 2400 or 2600 on
> a Gigabyte GA-7DX (AMD761 chipset). Gigabyte haven't tested those
> combinations, but they have on what I think are almost identical boards
> apart from having RAID etc (eg GA-7DXR) and given them the OK.
>
> But they also seem to say the CPU multiplier only goes up to 12.5, which
> gives a maximum of 1666MHz ie XP 2000. Would faster CPUs normally
> override that, or would they be limited to 2000 speed?

As noted in your GA-7DX manual the motherboard would be limited to the
2000 speed. If you can update your bios however, then the cpu could be
fine tuned and then have a greater 'clock speed'.