I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed cable internet
connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted to be able to connect my
PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.

I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe software
for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear instructed me to
allow their software to install the device, not Microsoft. Everything
installed fine; I have a blue light on the USB Adapter (antenna) and the
Netgear software shows good signal strength. However, when I go to use
Internet Explorer, I can't connect to the internet.

I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for awhile, found
that in the Network Connections (in the Control Panel) that for some reason
the Wireless Network wasn't installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld connectects
to the WAP fine)

I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was the same.

FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
workstation, and everything installed fine.

ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't appearing in
Network Connections?

Thanks!

Matt
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection network connection

    Hi
    Quote: "I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed cable
    internet
    connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC".
    The above does not really describe your connection.
    Is it a Wireless Cable/DSL Router? or Just an Access Point connected to
    what?
    As for the Wireless itself may be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "motomanmatt" <motomanmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed cable
    internet
    > connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted to be able to connect
    my
    > PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.
    >

    > I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe software
    > for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear instructed me
    > allow their software to install the device, not Microsoft. Everything
    > installed fine; I have a blue light on the USB Adapter (antenna) and the
    > Netgear software shows good signal strength. However, when I go to use
    > Internet Explorer, I can't connect to the internet.
    >
    > I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for awhile,
    found
    > that in the Network Connections (in the Control Panel) that for some
    reason
    > the Wireless Network wasn't installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld
    connectects
    > to the WAP fine)
    >
    > I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was the
    same.

    > FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
    > workstation, and everything installed fine.
    >
    > ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't appearing in
    > Network Connections?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Matt

    I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides our
    television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is in turn
    connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my downstairs PC, as well as
    my Netgear access point.

    Matt

    motomanmatt wrote:
    > I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides
    > our television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is
    > in turn connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my
    > downstairs PC, as well as my Netgear access point.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Quote: "I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a
    >> highspeed cable internet
    >> connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC".
    >> The above does not really describe your connection.
    >> Is it a Wireless Cable/DSL Router? or Just an Access Point connected
    >> to what?
    >> As for the Wireless itself may be this can Help.
    >> Wireless - Basic Configuration:
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html Wireless Security -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "motomanmatt" <motomanmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:CD87C6A7-81EE-47EA-A541-640921655CF5@microsoft.com...
    >>> I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed
    >>> cable internet connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted
    >>> to be able to connect my PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.
    >>>

    >>> I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe
    >>> software for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear
    >>> instructed me to allow their software to install the device, not
    >>> Microsoft. Everything installed fine; I have a blue light on the
    >>> USB Adapter (antenna) and the Netgear software shows good signal
    >>> strength. However, when I go to use Internet Explorer, I can't
    >>> connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for
    >>> awhile, found that in the Network Connections (in the Control
    >>> Panel) that for some reason the Wireless Network wasn't
    >>> installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld connectects to the WAP fine)
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was
    >>> the same.
    >>>
    >>> FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
    >>> workstation, and everything installed fine.
    >>>
    >>> ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't
    >>> appearing in Network Connections?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Matt

    You have to deliberately set up a wireless connection. Try running the
    wireless connection setup wizard in Control Panel.

    motomanmatt wrote:
    > I receive my internet through a cable, the same cable that provides
    > our television.. It terminates at a Motorola cable modem, which is
    > in turn connected to a Netgear router. The router serves my
    > downstairs PC, as well as my Netgear access point.
    >
    > Matt

    Also make sure that Wireless Zero Configuration service is set to
    automatic startup and is started.

    > "Jack (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Quote: "I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a
    >> highspeed cable internet
    >> connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC".
    >> The above does not really describe your connection.
    >> Is it a Wireless Cable/DSL Router? or Just an Access Point connected
    >> to what?
    >> As for the Wireless itself may be this can Help.
    >> Wireless - Basic Configuration:
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html Wireless Security -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "motomanmatt" <motomanmatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:CD87C6A7-81EE-47EA-A541-640921655CF5@microsoft.com...
    >>> I have a Netgear wireless accesspoint connected to a highspeed
    >>> cable internet connection and my downstairs Windows XP PC. I wanted
    >>> to be able to connect my PC in an upstairs bedroom wirelessly.
    >>>

    >>> I purchased a Netgear WG111 USB Wireless Adapter and installedthe
    >>> software for the the upstairs PC (runing XP Home edition). Netgear
    >>> instructed me to allow their software to install the device, not
    >>> Microsoft. Everything installed fine; I have a blue light on the
    >>> USB Adapter (antenna) and the Netgear software shows good signal
    >>> strength. However, when I go to use Internet Explorer, I can't
    >>> connect to the internet.
    >>>
    >>> I got on the phone with a Netgear tech who, after working for
    >>> awhile, found that in the Network Connections (in the Control
    >>> Panel) that for some reason the Wireless Network wasn't
    >>> installed/visible. (FYI: My handheld connectects to the WAP fine)
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled and re-installed as he instructed, but the result was
    >>> the same.
    >>>
    >>> FYI: I went to my office and installed the software on my XP PRO
    >>> workstation, and everything installed fine.
    >>>
    >>> ANyone have any idea why the Wireless Network option isn't
    >>> appearing in Network Connections?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Matt

Wireless Connection Netgear Wireless Networking