Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Mouse Battery Warning

Tags:
  • Battery
  • Microsoft
  • Wireless Mouse
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:08:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

Every half hour or so, I get informed that I should change the batteries
in my mouse (Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0) as they are low.
However, the batteries are brand new, and the Mouse Control Panel shows
Battery Status - "Wireless mouse battery level: Good". I'm using the
latest IntelliMouse software. I didn't have this problem running under
Windows Server 2003 with the same IntelliMouse software, on the exact
same PC.

Ideas please? This is very annoying when I'm using the PC, and also when
not as it switches the monitor on out of power save mode, and won't let
it switch off again until I dismiss the warning.

Regards,

Alex.

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Computing Service
University of Kent

More about : wireless mouse battery warning

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:37:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

Wireless, anything, have the biggest problems. Even when you are not using
them, they are still powered on, unless they have a power switch. So it can
very well be the fact the the batteries are drained of their power.


"Alex Meaden" <alex@xelamNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:ulZT6sxzEHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Every half hour or so, I get informed that I should change the batteries
> in my mouse (Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0) as they are low. However,
> the batteries are brand new, and the Mouse Control Panel shows Battery
> Status - "Wireless mouse battery level: Good". I'm using the latest
> IntelliMouse software. I didn't have this problem running under Windows
> Server 2003 with the same IntelliMouse software, on the exact same PC.
>
> Ideas please? This is very annoying when I'm using the PC, and also when
> not as it switches the monitor on out of power save mode, and won't let it
> switch off again until I dismiss the warning.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex.
>
> --
> Alex Meaden
> Technical Support Officer
> Computing Service
> University of Kent
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.mshardware.product (More info?)

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> Wireless, anything, have the biggest problems. Even when you are not using
> them, they are still powered on, unless they have a power switch. So it can
> very well be the fact the the batteries are drained of their power.

The messages appear when the batteries are in a near-new condition, and
the Mouse Control Panel shows this as so. So the messages should *not*
appear!

Alex.

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Computing Service
University of Kent
Related resources
March 18, 2008 8:56:07 AM

I'm with Alex. Looking into the mouse properties, I find that my mouse batteries are good, and signal strength excellent.

All TOO often, a warning box pops up and warns that the mouse batteries are critically low. I keep on dismissing the box, and my mouse keeps working.

Personally, I don't care if the mouse's batteries DIE. I don't want to be warned of the event, I will simply insert new batteries when I can no longer move the cursor.

Please, there MUST be a way to turn-off that stupid annoying warning....
March 21, 2008 8:31:40 AM

I have 3 of these exact same mice. They are absolutely the BEST in my opinion. The batteries usually last 2 to 3 months using them several hours a day. I like them over rechargeable mice because the rechargeable ones batteries eventually go bad. Then you have to buy special replacements costing $$$ in 2 or 3 years. Just 2AA batteries last for weeks or months of uses.

On your error, Did you reboot your computer? I get that low battery warning even after putting in new batteries until I reboot. Why? Because it won't retest the battery voltage until you reboot the computer. So you put new ones in and the windows software doesn't realize it. It thinks they are low, so it warns you every few minutes. So rebooting might solve it. Only, I'm guessing you probably already tried that, lol.

If that doesn't work, then there could be a software incompatibility or a corrupt windows install. Or there could be something wrong with the mouse since none of my intelli-mouse explorers 2.0 have any problems. But if it keeps doing it, you can uninstall the mouse software and your mouse will still work just fine since that software isn't really needed. But if you happen to like the mouse softwares features, then you do need it. In that case, maybe you should uninstall it and reinstall it. It could also happen depending what version of windows you are using.
February 1, 2009 2:57:04 PM

jzjz said:
I have 3 of these exact same mice. They are absolutely the BEST in my opinion. The batteries usually last 2 to 3 months using them several hours a day. I like them over rechargeable mice because the rechargeable ones batteries eventually go bad. Then you have to buy special replacements costing $$$ in 2 or 3 years. Just 2AA batteries last for weeks or months of uses.

On your error, Did you reboot your computer? I get that low battery warning even after putting in new batteries until I reboot. Why? Because it won't retest the battery voltage until you reboot the computer. So you put new ones in and the windows software doesn't realize it. It thinks they are low, so it warns you every few minutes. So rebooting might solve it. Only, I'm guessing you probably already tried that, lol.

If that doesn't work, then there could be a software incompatibility or a corrupt windows install. Or there could be something wrong with the mouse since none of my intelli-mouse explorers 2.0 have any problems. But if it keeps doing it, you can uninstall the mouse software and your mouse will still work just fine since that software isn't really needed. But if you happen to like the mouse softwares features, then you do need it. In that case, maybe you should uninstall it and reinstall it. It could also happen depending what version of windows you are using.




Yes, I've done all that and much more...

Since this thread, I've replaced my OS with XP Pro x64, installed the LATEST intellimouse drivers, and it still pops-up that stupid annoying and COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY "Critically Low Battery" warning.

If the cursor stops moving, change the effin' batteries... a simple fix for most intelligent individuals

I really don't care what might be causing this to happen.

I know it's NOT the battery condition that's causing it, because in the Mouse Properties under the "Wireless" tab, it reports that the Mouse Battery Level is Excellent and the Wireless mouse signal quality is also Excellent

I'm ONLY interested to learn if anyone knows how to turn this off, whether it's a registry edit or any other method.

IF you know how, then please reply with the answer.

IF you don't know how to do SPECIFICALLY what I'm asking, then just GO AWAY!!!
March 31, 2009 5:17:35 AM

I am having the same issue. I tried a new battery, the latest intellipoint, etc.

The only thing I could add is re-pairing the device. I am hoping that will work as I am still waiting to see if that is it.

Fabio


djlen said:
Yes, I've done all that and much more...

Since this thread, I've replaced my OS with XP Pro x64, installed the LATEST intellimouse drivers, and it still pops-up that stupid annoying and COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY "Critically Low Battery" warning.

If the cursor stops moving, change the effin' batteries... a simple fix for most intelligent individuals

I really don't care what might be causing this to happen.

I know it's NOT the battery condition that's causing it, because in the Mouse Properties under the "Wireless" tab, it reports that the Mouse Battery Level is Excellent and the Wireless mouse signal quality is also Excellent

I'm ONLY interested to learn if anyone knows how to turn this off, whether it's a registry edit or any other method.

IF you know how, then please reply with the answer.

IF you don't know how to do SPECIFICALLY what I'm asking, then just GO AWAY!!!

March 31, 2009 9:54:50 AM

I doubt that will work either, Fabio.

I really don't know why they don't add a "Don't show this again" checkbox to the low battery warning box... Ok, for the dumbasses who don't know that the mouse batteries are dead when the cursor stops moving - they need a warning box.

For you and me and 95% of everyone else, when the cursor stops, we change the batteries, no??
March 31, 2009 7:26:31 PM

You are right - repairing the device to the base did nothing. :( 

I have a enw trick up my sleeve - I happen to have another mouse. I will report if replacing the mouse will solve the issue.

Fabio
April 5, 2009 12:08:39 AM

Using a different mouse did not work either - too bad that it is not like my Wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0, when the batteries are running low the message come on but there is a check box that you can check to leave you alone FOREVER!

TIP: Examine the desktop environment
Items such as desktop fans, metal furniture, and fluorescent lights can interfere with the signal from the mouse. Test the mouse in a different location.

(Trying this for while), but I am almost tempted to chuck this old mouse.

Fabio
April 11, 2009 7:12:47 AM

I see this all the time and people come up with the obvious stupid replies and not the answer to the question ... the question is ... is there anyone out there that knows how to turn the freakin low battery warning.

If you don't .. tap fingers on the desk instead of the keyboard

and Oh... HAVE A NICE DAY :hello: 
September 25, 2009 4:42:12 AM

top40, do I ever know how you feel. I've had one intellimouse after another. Have the latest one with a red battery low warning light on it but that damned pop up message is still there too and drives me nuts, but as you said, no one ever answers the question; How do you turn the message off? Arggggggg!!!
October 28, 2009 6:09:23 PM

I'm using Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard and the mouse warning appears whenever it damn well feels like. It's not a repeatable error, or something I can force with a view to figuring out how to work around it, it's just completely random. Could be a half hour, an hour, or a couple of hours before it appears, but it will appear without fail, at least once.

It wouldn't be a problem but when I'm in the middle of a FPS online match and the warning appears in the background, especially when running Unreal Tournament 3 or CoD World at War, they're pretty demanding games, and though my rig can handle the switch to desktop at a decent speed... my death count online and my emotions can't. If a small puppy was in the vicinity when this warning appears I could very easily and without remorse tear its head off and send it to Microsoft. lol Quantify the rage... nope. It's infuriating. "And oh look! The batteries and signal are fine."

This is the first wireless combo I've used in my life and it's, quite simply, pathetic. If I had a simple option to turn off the warnings the worst I could expect is a slight lag in-game, and I could at least use the keyboard (beause oddly enough the keyboard never warns of low batteries, even when they are low) to navigate my onscreen avatar to a safe place for a minute or two while the gear figures out the batteries will last another millennia before they need changing.

What is the best solution? Uninstalling the software and drivers and using the basic XP equivalent?
October 31, 2009 1:04:21 PM

Check the BIOS for a PS2 enabled mouse. If it is enabled, disable it.....xsmem
October 31, 2009 2:17:45 PM

I uninstalled the software and as you'd expect haven't had any more warnings whilst playing games. Of course this means that mouse options beyond the default left, right, middle, scroll and bumpers are absent. Like assigning open Window spash across the desktop to a middle mouse click. But I can work without that stuff.

So to gamer's having problems with the warnings, uninstall the IntelliMouse software. You retain the drivers, and you won't have any problems.
March 15, 2011 7:56:41 PM

Ok I have the same problem.... I use the MS KB on a OS X mac system...

I also wanted that annoying pop up batteries message to go away.. I changed my mouse batteries several times.... then realized the keyboard also takes 2 AA batteries and changed them and the message never came up again..

The message said mouse batteries low.. but it's actually the keyboard batteries that are low...

Portland Oregon
!