Number of MAME games that use Spinner controls?

Mike

Splendid

I was looking at finishing up purchasing all the parts for my control panel.
I'm still debating on the spinner.

Does anyone know exactly how many games in MAME actually use a Spinner?

I see the Push Kit option as well for the spinners...is it worth it to get
this too?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:52:05 GMT, "Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I was looking at finishing up purchasing all the parts for my control panel.
>I'm still debating on the spinner.
>
>Does anyone know exactly how many games in MAME actually use a Spinner?
>
>I see the Push Kit option as well for the spinners...is it worth it to get
>this too?
>
>Just looking for some input.
>
>Thanks.

If you're on the fence about a spinner, the trackball works OK in a
lot of spinner games. If you're not a diehard fan of a spinner game,
you might find you can live without it. I play a lot of Tempest and
Cameltry with a trackball, and it's not too bad.

Tim

"Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com>after crossing the finish line at the
Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

> Does anyone know exactly how many games in MAME actually use a
> Spinner?

247 use a dial type spinner. 90 use a dial type spinner. (At least the
last time I checked (Mame .80?) I couldn't live without a spinner and
Tempest.

I have an spinner ini file that CK made for me and could email it or post
it in a.b.e.mame. You place it in the folders folder and it displays all
the spinner games in Mame32.

--
FSogol

FSogol <fsogol@nomorespamplease.nu> wrote in

> "Mike" <moparmaniac@hotmail.com>after crossing the finish line at the
> Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>

>> Does anyone know exactly how many games in MAME actually use a
>> Spinner?
>
> 247 use a dial type spinner. 90 use a dial type spinner. (At least the
> last time I checked (Mame .80?) I couldn't live without a spinner and
> Tempest.

- any number of Breakout and Arkanoid clones/spinoffs, including Off The
Wall! (3 simultaneous players) and Warlords (4 simultaneous)

- Tempest

- Championship Sprint (3 sim), Badlands (2 sim), APB, Danny Sullivan's Indy
Heat (3 sim?), Ironman Stewart's Super Off-Road (3 sim), other games using
360-degree steering wheels

- Caliber .50, Guerilla War, Heavy Barrel, Ikari Warriors, Forgotten Worlds
(all 2 sim), Tron, other games using combination stick-plus-dial or rotary-
stick hybrid controls

Conclusion: just put the damn thing in, and consider two while you're at it!
:)

Mike

Splendid

OK, well looks like the spinner is a go then...what about the push kit to
act like a button?? Needed / Not needed???

Mike wrote:
> I was looking at finishing up purchasing all the parts for my control panel.
> I'm still debating on the spinner.
>
> Does anyone know exactly how many games in MAME actually use a Spinner?
>
> I see the Push Kit option as well for the spinners...is it worth it to get
> this too?
>
> Just looking for some input.
>
> Thanks.

As of v.90, 269 use some form of dial, and 167 use a paddle. (I'm not
sure exactly what the difference is.)

--

Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX>after crossing the finish line at
the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:

> As of v.90, 269 use some form of dial, and 167 use a paddle. (I'm not
> sure exactly what the difference is.)

I'm wrong a lot, but don't paddles only turn 180 degrees?
--
FSogol

FSogol wrote:
> Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX>after crossing the finish line at
> the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>

>>As of v.90, 269 use some form of dial, and 167 use a paddle. (I'm not
>>sure exactly what the difference is.)
>>

> I'm wrong a lot, but don't paddles only turn 180 degrees?

BINGO! That's right. Paddle = pot. I'd forgotten about that.

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

FSogol wrote:
> Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX>after crossing the finish line
> at the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>

>> As of v.90, 269 use some form of dial, and 167 use a paddle. (I'm
>> not sure exactly what the difference is.)
>>

> I'm wrong a lot, but don't paddles only turn 180 degrees?

Not really, they do have a stop and start point, dial just spins. Most
paddles have more than a 180 degrees of change, I'm not sure about the
ones in MAME but it would be nice to know what the degree of arc they do
have....

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Sune Salminen wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Mike wrote:
>> OK, well looks like the spinner is a go then...what about the push
>> kit to act like a button?? Needed / Not needed???

> I wouldn't do it. Imagine controlling the bat in Arkanoid and having to
> fire the laser by pressing down on the spinner. Impossible!

Blasphemer! How is one to play Discs of Tron? Mad Planets?

Set it up to be a different button and GET the spinner with the button.

> I would definately use buttons instead. I can't think of any spinner
> controlled game where i would want to use the push down function as
> primary button instead of a seperate button next to the spinner.

Who says it has to be primary ;)

--
David
Four fifths of the perjury in the world is expended on tombstones, women

Dead_Dad's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> FSogol wrote:
>> Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX>after crossing the finish line at
>> the Special Olympics proudly proclaimed:
>>>As of v.90, 269 use some form of dial, and 167 use a paddle. (I'm not
>>>sure exactly what the difference is.)
>> I'm wrong a lot, but don't paddles only turn 180 degrees?
> BINGO! That's right. Paddle = pot. I'd forgotten about that.

I've seen some that could turn 270 or more degrees, but dials/spinners the
difference is one has stopping points, the other doesn't. Thats the most
simplistic explanation.