GA-8KNXP won't format 160Gig IDE drive

Hi folks,

Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate ST316002
160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives are
connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the drives
up, they only show 128gig available.

If I connect the drives to the ITE controller though, they show up as having
145 Gig available.

Is there any fix to enable the drives to be formatted to 145G under the ICH5
controller?

TIA

Regards,

JSC.

Please respond via newsgroup.

> Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate ST316002
> 160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives are
> connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the drives
> up, they only show 128gig available.

Are they auto-detected correctly in the BIOS? (i.e., do the
auto-detected C/H/S in your CMOS settings match the specs supplied on
the labels of the drives?)

Kris

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Hi,

I have the same drive, only I'm using XP Pro. I had to run the Seagate disk prep application, then I went into XP's disk management. This will show the rest of the drive space and allow you to partition accordingly. I do not know if 2000 has such an app but I would assume so. (taking the risks of assuming....)

Rick

jsc wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate ST316002
> 160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives are
> connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the drives
> up, they only show 128gig available.
>
> If I connect the drives to the ITE controller though, they show up as having
> 145 Gig available.
>
> Is there any fix to enable the drives to be formatted to 145G under the ICH5
> controller?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards,
>
> JSC.
>
> Please respond via newsgroup.

Updated the bios to the latest version on the gigabyte site, and the drives
are showing up correctly in the bios...

"Kris Vorwerk" <spam@vorwerk.ca> wrote in message
> > Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate
ST316002
> > 160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives
are
> > connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the
drives
> > up, they only show 128gig available.
>

> Are they auto-detected correctly in the BIOS? (i.e., do the
> auto-detected C/H/S in your CMOS settings match the specs supplied on
> the labels of the drives?)
>

> Kris

Have you applied the proper patch to Win2K to enable support for HD's over
137gig?

It's a simple registry change if you know what to do, or you should be able
to go to Seagates web site and follow their instructions.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/os/win2000.html

"jsc" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Updated the bios to the latest version on the gigabyte site, and the
drives
> are showing up correctly in the bios...
>

> "Kris Vorwerk" <spam@vorwerk.ca> wrote in message
> > > Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate
> ST316002
> > > 160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives
> are
> > > connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the
> drives
> > > up, they only show 128gig available.
> >

> > Are they auto-detected correctly in the BIOS? (i.e., do the
> > auto-detected C/H/S in your CMOS settings match the specs supplied on
> > the labels of the drives?)
> >

> > Kris

Thanks for the help folks - using the seagate discwizard, this applied the
registry patch which allowed me to prep the drives on the ICH5 channel to
their full capacity.