GA-8IPE1000-G sometimes does not detect CD-ROM on startup

bobthebuilder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004

Hello there
My PC sometimes (i.e. not always!) does not detect the existence of my
CD-ROM which is kind of frustrating - anyone have any ideas please or
perhaps experiences with the same problem??

There doesn't seem to be a pattern which I can pin down in case you're
wondering.

Thanks alot in advance for anybody's suggestions.
Bob "I can't fix this" the Builder

==============

BobtheBuilder wrote:
> Hello there
> My PC sometimes (i.e. not always!) does not detect the existence of my
> CD-ROM which is kind of frustrating - anyone have any ideas please or
> perhaps experiences with the same problem??
>
> There doesn't seem to be a pattern which I can pin down in case you're
> wondering.
>
> Thanks alot in advance for anybody's suggestions.
> Bob "I can't fix this" the Builder
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

what IDE port do you have the optical drive plugged into? You might
also check your power plug to the CD Rom and also the data cable.

I'm using a GA8-IPE1000G, 1 gig PC3200 @ dual, two optical drives on the
secondary IDE port, two WD HD's on the primary IDE port. SATA is
disabled, serial and parallel ports are disabled, all onboard sound
features are disabled. I'm using a TB Santa Cruz sound card. I'm not
having any of the problems listed in either of your posts.

For the pause glitch; it could be something in your software
environment that is polling and causing the video and sound pause. I've
heard of something like this, though I've never seen it happen myself.

McG.