Adding second SATA drive to GA-8KNXP rev 1.0

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2004 8:47:27 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 MB that I built into a new system
over a year ago. At the time I had some issues with the memory
settings and getting the system to see the SATA drive but I eventually
got it working. Now, a year plus later I need to add more disk space
for my digital photography work (10MB's per pic) and I bought a second
SATA drive 250GB) that I planned on adding to my system, but I can't
get the system to see the second SATA drive and the BIOS and config is
very confusing. So, first I'll detail my system before the new drive:

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 MB
Zalman 400W PS
Corsair DDR RAM 1GB
Seagate 120GB SATA drive (C:)
Sony DVD burner (D:)
IBM 40GB PATA drive (E:)
Western Digital 200GB PATA drive (F:)
Yamaha CDRW burner (G:)
ATI AIW 9800 Pro video board
Viewsonic VX-2000 20" LCD display
USR PCI modem
Windows XP Pro with most updates
Zonealarm Pro
etc software

I had updated the BIOS from rev 3 to rev 5 but had problems ad
reverted back to rev 3. Just yesterday I updated BIOS to rev 10.

When I add the second SATA drive, and I must say I want to use it for
additional capacity so I do not want to use it in RAID mode, the BIOS
would see it but windows explorer would not. When I look for it in
the "device manager" the second SATA drive shows up!!!

In the MB BIOS if I set it to "BASE" instead of "RAID" the PC reboots
itself after all BIOS booting and just as Windows begins to boot -- I
can't get the system to boot in "BASE" so I must set it to "RAID".

Is there anywhere I might find a solution to this soon as I'm on the
road and my disk space is getting critical?

Thanks,

Brian

More about : adding sata drive 8knxp rev

July 15, 2004 3:10:17 PM

Sounds like you need to create a partition on it and format it using Disk
Management.

In the control panel, open Administrative Tools, Computer Management and
under storage, open Disk Management. There you should see you new drive
ready to be formatted. Right click and there you have it...

- Tim

"Brian Stirling" <raptorsys@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 MB that I built into a new system
> over a year ago. At the time I had some issues with the memory
> settings and getting the system to see the SATA drive but I eventually
> got it working. Now, a year plus later I need to add more disk space
> for my digital photography work (10MB's per pic) and I bought a second
> SATA drive 250GB) that I planned on adding to my system, but I can't
> get the system to see the second SATA drive and the BIOS and config is
> very confusing. So, first I'll detail my system before the new drive:
>

> Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 MB
> Zalman 400W PS
> Corsair DDR RAM 1GB
> Seagate 120GB SATA drive (C:)
> Sony DVD burner (D:)
> IBM 40GB PATA drive (E:)
> Western Digital 200GB PATA drive (F:)
> Yamaha CDRW burner (G:)
> ATI AIW 9800 Pro video board
> Viewsonic VX-2000 20" LCD display
> USR PCI modem
> Windows XP Pro with most updates
> Zonealarm Pro
> etc software
>

> I had updated the BIOS from rev 3 to rev 5 but had problems ad
> reverted back to rev 3. Just yesterday I updated BIOS to rev 10.
>

> When I add the second SATA drive, and I must say I want to use it for
> additional capacity so I do not want to use it in RAID mode, the BIOS
> would see it but windows explorer would not. When I look for it in
> the "device manager" the second SATA drive shows up!!!
>

> In the MB BIOS if I set it to "BASE" instead of "RAID" the PC reboots
> itself after all BIOS booting and just as Windows begins to boot -- I
> can't get the system to boot in "BASE" so I must set it to "RAID".
>

> Is there anywhere I might find a solution to this soon as I'm on the
> road and my disk space is getting critical?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 7:46:27 PM

Tim, thanks for your input -- it did the trick!!!

I didn't have to do anything to the IDE drive I added a few months ago
to "see" it though I did have to format it.

I had not been aware of the "Disk Management" tool before and I did
have to do some guessing about the proper options (Dynamic versus
Basic?), but after this my 250GB SATA drive is being put to productive
use!

Once again, THANKS!!!

Brian

!