What happens if I upgrade from Windows XP Home?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what happens to my computer's system if I upgrade from
Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro? What I mean is, will everything on my
hard drive be wiped out if I install XP Pro? Will I loose all the programs
that I currently have on my hard drive?

Thank you for the help!
Anthony

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Anthony Marlow" <aomarlow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can anyone tell me what happens to my computer's system if I upgrade
> from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro? What I mean is, will
> everything on my hard drive be wiped out if I install XP Pro? Will I
> loose all the programs that I currently have on my hard drive?
>
> Thank you for the help!
> Anthony

Should work. But more importantly, you actually commit huge and
monsterously drastic changes to your system without backing it up, like
saving a drive image, or, at least, backing up your data files?

Rockets to moon with some buddies. Looks around and then says, "Hey,
guys, there ain't no rocket refill stations up here. Oh oh, how we
getting back?"

If you choose to format and partition your drive, then yes. You will lose
everything with a format.
An upgrade does not (in theory) do anything to your data, it only upgrades
the operating system.

"Anthony Marlow" <aomarlow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can anyone tell me what happens to my computer's system if I upgrade from
> Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro? What I mean is, will everything on my
> hard drive be wiped out if I install XP Pro? Will I loose all the
programs
> that I currently have on my hard drive?
>
> Thank you for the help!
> Anthony

Anthony:
If you upgrade from Home to Pro all data and settings should remain
intact.
Back-up important data just in case.

Do you really need Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
Most home users do not need the added features of Pro.

Home and Pro are identical in performance and stability.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message news:<eEuolv4zEHA.3784@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Anthony:
> If you upgrade from Home to Pro all data and settings should remain
> intact.
> Back-up important data just in case.
>
> Do you really need Pro:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
> Most home users do not need the added features of Pro.
>
> Home and Pro are identical in performance and stability.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Anthony Marlow" <aomarlow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what happens to my computer's system if I upgrade
> > from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Pro? What I mean is, will
> > everything on my hard drive be wiped out if I install XP Pro? Will
> > I loose all the programs that I currently have on my hard drive?
> >
> > Thank you for the help!
> > Anthony

Are you on dialup? When I upgraded to Pro I lost my dialup internet
connection and even the patches from MS didn't help (though I suspect
that SP2 would). You don't need Pro. After you install SP2 the
Home/Pro start up page doesn't show either one, just XP.

The start-up page you refer is a cosmetic change only.
That page is now the same on all 4 versions of windows XP simplifying
the code for Microsoft programmers.
That change has nothing to do with any other changes in Windows XP.