External USB2.0 Hard drive enclosure

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2004 8:09:44 PM

Hi all,

How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP pro
with service packs?

The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.

My setup are:-
Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...

Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.

Thanks in advance.

eltan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2004 9:16:33 PM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:09:44 GMT, "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> waffled
on about something:

>Hi all,
>
>How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP pro
>with service packs?
>
>The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
>
>My setup are:-
>Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
>
>Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
>Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.

That's odd, never had a problem with USB drive enclosures before, with
usb 1.1 or usb 2 on XP or win2k.

Things to check,
1) Is there any kind of power light on the drive enclosure to show the
unit is turned on? I assume it has it's own power supply, usb doesn't
have the guts to run a real hard drive.
2) Are you using a usb port you have proved works? Some motherboard
allow you to enable and disable the individual usb buses. Plug your
mouse into the socket you're using and see if you can still use it.
You might be using a usb socket that someone has unplugged from (or
never connected to) the motherboard.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous

The usb enclosure work if I dont install WinXP service packs.

"Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:09:44 GMT, "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> waffled
> on about something:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP
pro
> >with service packs?
> >
> >The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
> >
> >My setup are:-
> >Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
> >
> >Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
> >Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.
>
> That's odd, never had a problem with USB drive enclosures before, with
> usb 1.1 or usb 2 on XP or win2k.
>
> Things to check,
> 1) Is there any kind of power light on the drive enclosure to show the
> unit is turned on? I assume it has it's own power supply, usb doesn't
> have the guts to run a real hard drive.
> 2) Are you using a usb port you have proved works? Some motherboard
> allow you to enable and disable the individual usb buses. Plug your
> mouse into the socket you're using and see if you can still use it.
> You might be using a usb socket that someone has unplugged from (or
> never connected to) the motherboard.
>
> D0d6y.
> --
> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2004 10:38:10 PM

"eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> wrote in message
> The usb enclosure work if I dont install WinXP service packs.
>

> "Dodgy" <Dodgy@earth.planet.universe> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:09:44 GMT, "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> waffled
> > on about something:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in
WinXP
> pro
> > >with service packs?
> > >
> > >The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
Have a look in drive administrator.

> > >My setup are:-
> > >Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
> > >
> > >Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed
(v4.51),
> > >Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.
> >
> > That's odd, never had a problem with USB drive enclosures before, with
> > usb 1.1 or usb 2 on XP or win2k.
> >
> > Things to check,
> > 1) Is there any kind of power light on the drive enclosure to show the
> > unit is turned on? I assume it has it's own power supply, usb doesn't
> > have the guts to run a real hard drive.
> > 2) Are you using a usb port you have proved works? Some motherboard
> > allow you to enable and disable the individual usb buses. Plug your
> > mouse into the socket you're using and see if you can still use it.
> > You might be using a usb socket that someone has unplugged from (or
> > never connected to) the motherboard.
Funnily, I have exactly the same problem with three machines, and four
different drive enclosures. All are seen fine under W2K. I have tried two
with a 'bare' XP, and these are seen. However on a version of XP with all
the latest patches and service packs, the drives are not seen. Go to dsik
administrator, and the drives are visible, and are even reported as having
a drive letter. Right click on the drive, and I can select 'explore', and
explore it. I can also 'share' it.
To get round the problem at present, I have 'shared' the problem drives
with names like 'USBF', and can explore these from network neighborhood...
However nothing has yet made the drives appear in 'My Computer'...
Something recent on XP, is causing this problem.

Best Wishes
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2004 10:50:41 PM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:52:02 GMT, "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> waffled
on about something:

>The usb enclosure work if I dont install WinXP service packs.

Oh, that's odd... I think I had better leave this one to someone who
knows your particular motherboard.

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 3:26:54 PM

What I would do is go to the microsoft knowledge base and have a look at
KB822603. A lot of USB troubles with XP went away after that update/hotfix.
You could also do a check in your add/remove programs in control panel to
see if the fix has already been applied to your system. Then go to the
windows update site and get updated.

Try this link below if it is all here, plug in that KB822603 number and mash
the arrow button. It will take you where you want to go.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];kbjump

Regards, Bob "Hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

> Hi all,
>
> How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP pro
> with service packs?
>
> The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
>
> My setup are:-
> Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
>
> Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
> Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> eltan

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 3:41:32 PM

Here is a list of the files for a XP system not XP64 that come with this
update mentioned previously. If your files are dated earlier than these, you
need the update. Check in device manager usb section for these drivers.

03-Jul-2003 17:53 5.1.2600.1243 28,160 Usbccgp.sys
03-Jul-2003 17:50 5.1.2600.1243 25,216 Usbehci.sys
03-Jul-2003 17:52 5.1.2600.1243 53,120 Usbhub.sys
03-Jul-2003 17:51 5.1.2600.1243 16,000 Usbohci.sys
03-Jul-2003 17:49 5.1.2600.1243 138,752 Usbport.sys
03-Jul-2003 17:51 5.1.2600.1243 19,328 Usbuhci.sys

I have a GA-7VAX and I just realised I never even checked to see if the USB
works at all on it! LOL!!! But in any case check for a bios update for your
mainboard at the Gigabyte site too.

Good Luck Mate!

Regards, Bob Troll
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 6:45:03 PM

<snip>>
>Funnily, I have exactly the same problem with three machines, and four
> different drive enclosures. All are seen fine under W2K. I have tried two
> with a 'bare' XP, and these are seen. However on a version of XP with all
> the latest patches and service packs, the drives are not seen. Go to dsik
> administrator, and the drives are visible, and are even reported as having
> a drive letter. Right click on the drive, and I can select 'explore', and
> explore it. I can also 'share' it.
> To get round the problem at present, I have 'shared' the problem drives
> with names like 'USBF', and can explore these from network neighborhood...
> However nothing has yet made the drives appear in 'My Computer'...
> Something recent on XP, is causing this problem.
>
> Best Wishes

According to M$ certified network person, the drive enclosure will always
work with Win2k, Win98 & WinME installed with all latest patches & service
packs, except with WinXP. A solution is yet to be found, probably because
of VIA chipset.

Thanks for the above tips.

cheers
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 7:54:50 PM

> <snip>>
> >Funnily, I have exactly the same problem with three machines, and four
> > different drive enclosures. All are seen fine under W2K. I have tried
two
> > with a 'bare' XP, and these are seen. However on a version of XP with
all
> > the latest patches and service packs, the drives are not seen. Go to
dsik
> > administrator, and the drives are visible, and are even reported as
having
> > a drive letter. Right click on the drive, and I can select 'explore',
and
> > explore it. I can also 'share' it.
> > To get round the problem at present, I have 'shared' the problem
drives
> > with names like 'USBF', and can explore these from network
neighborhood...
> > However nothing has yet made the drives appear in 'My Computer'...
> > Something recent on XP, is causing this problem.
> >
> > Best Wishes
> >
> According to M$ certified network person, the drive enclosure will
always
> work with Win2k, Win98 & WinME installed with all latest patches &
service
> packs, except with WinXP. A solution is yet to be found, probably
because
> of VIA chipset.
>
> Thanks for the above tips.
It is not just Via chipsets. One of the machines I am seeing the problem
on is an Intel chipset system!...

Best Wishes
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2004 7:54:51 PM

sorry, Intel too.

Try it on a Fujitsu , Dell & IBM laptop too, & all failed if service packs
or patches is installed.

"Roger Hamlett" <rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> wrote in message
> > <snip>>
> > >Funnily, I have exactly the same problem with three machines, and four
> > > different drive enclosures. All are seen fine under W2K. I have tried
> two
> > > with a 'bare' XP, and these are seen. However on a version of XP with
> all
> > > the latest patches and service packs, the drives are not seen. Go to
> dsik
> > > administrator, and the drives are visible, and are even reported as
> having
> > > a drive letter. Right click on the drive, and I can select 'explore',
> and
> > > explore it. I can also 'share' it.
> > > To get round the problem at present, I have 'shared' the problem
> drives
> > > with names like 'USBF', and can explore these from network
> neighborhood...
> > > However nothing has yet made the drives appear in 'My Computer'...
> > > Something recent on XP, is causing this problem.
> > >
> > > Best Wishes
> > >
> > According to M$ certified network person, the drive enclosure will
> always
> > work with Win2k, Win98 & WinME installed with all latest patches &
> service
> > packs, except with WinXP. A solution is yet to be found, probably
> because
> > of VIA chipset.
> >
> > Thanks for the above tips.
> It is not just Via chipsets. One of the machines I am seeing the problem
> on is an Intel chipset system!...
>
> Best Wishes

July 17, 2004 1:06:39 AM

Does your device manager have a USB2/Enhanced host controller and a USB2
Root Hub listed under USB controllers?

John S.

"eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP pro
> with service packs?
>
> The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
>
> My setup are:-
> Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
>
> Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
> Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> eltan

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2004 1:06:40 AM

Yes, on the device manager its displayed USB Root Hub (4 times); VIA Rev 5
or later USB Universal Host controller (4 times) and VIA USB2.0 enhanced
host controller, but no USB2 root hub listed.]

"Muttley" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does your device manager have a USB2/Enhanced host controller and a USB2
> Root Hub listed under USB controllers?
>
> John S.
>
> "eltan" <eltan@start.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How can I get an external USB2.0 hard drive enclosure working in WinXP
pro
> > with service packs?
> >
> > The USB Hard drive is not detected, & does not appear in My Computer.
> >
> > My setup are:-
> > Gigabyte GA-7VAX1394-A, 1Gb RAM etc...
> >
> > Latest version of KT400 VIA 4-in-one chipset driver installed (v4.51),
> > Installed WinXP pro service pack 1 & 1c.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > eltan

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2004 1:42:42 AM

> sorry, Intel too.
>
> Try it on a Fujitsu , Dell & IBM laptop too, & all failed if service
packs
> or patches is installed.
Yes it is 'fun'.
Annoyingly, half a dozen other devices (scanner, printer, cameras,
keyboard & digitiser & mice), all work fine. It is only the USB hard
drives, and only with the latest fixes in place. The hardware, and USB
stack itself, is working fine, as witnessed by the fact that I can share
the drives from disk manager, and then access these shares!...
I have now put together one machine 'offline', without the latest fixes,
and am using this to access the drives. It appears that MS's latest USB
fixes have introduced this problem.

Best Wishes

!