Video Problems prevent (block) upgrade from Win98 to WinXP..

Greetings,

I am trying to upgrade my daughter's computer from Windows 98se to
Windows XP Home (with Service Pack 2). I keep getting blocked from
doing the upgrade with a message that my video card and my motherboard
do not get along. The video card in question was contained within the
motherboard - MS-6734 with all current MSI drivers. It works great
under Windows 98.

I'm trying the upgrade because I just failed on doing the upgrade with a
full
version of Windows XP Home. It did not want to upgrade. Anyway, I got
it installed on the same motherboard without problems. Granted, I upgraded
to Windows 2000 Professional first, but Windows XP would not upgrade, but
did successfully work as a fresh install. So, I know Windows XP will work on
this Motherboard. I ghosted a copy of her drive onto another drive before I
started, so her original drive is still intact. I'm very cautious.

Thinking there might be something to the video problem, I installed Another
drive in yet another computer - another MSI Motherboard MS-6368 Vers 5.

It too refuses to upgrade, and it has an even different video driver.

Now - what do I use to identify the problem with the Windows 98
installation?

Granted it might have originated as a Windows 95 system before it got
upgraded,
and that might have come from a Windows 3.11 system. I have been very
careful
to try to maintain my daughter's data.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks,

Larry Hazel

Hardware compatibility issues? Is the hardware Windows XP compatible?

"Homer L. Hazel" <hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my daughter's computer from Windows 98se to
> Windows XP Home (with Service Pack 2). I keep getting blocked from
> doing the upgrade with a message that my video card and my motherboard
> do not get along. The video card in question was contained within the
> motherboard - MS-6734 with all current MSI drivers. It works great
> under Windows 98.
>
> I'm trying the upgrade because I just failed on doing the upgrade with a
> full
> version of Windows XP Home. It did not want to upgrade. Anyway, I got
> it installed on the same motherboard without problems. Granted, I
upgraded
> to Windows 2000 Professional first, but Windows XP would not upgrade, but
> did successfully work as a fresh install. So, I know Windows XP will work
on
> this Motherboard. I ghosted a copy of her drive onto another drive before
> started, so her original drive is still intact. I'm very cautious.
>
> Thinking there might be something to the video problem, I installed
Another
> drive in yet another computer - another MSI Motherboard MS-6368 Vers 5.
>
> It too refuses to upgrade, and it has an even different video driver.
>
> Now - what do I use to identify the problem with the Windows 98
> installation?
>
> Granted it might have originated as a Windows 95 system before it got
> upgraded,
> and that might have come from a Windows 3.11 system. I have been very
> careful
> to try to maintain my daughter's data.
>
> Any suggestions at all?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry Hazel

Kevin,

Yes - I have done an installation of Windows XP - non upgrade on the same
hardware
works like a champ. Unfortunately, it killed all of my daughters programs.

Don't know if the hardware is in the 'approved' list or not, but it did
work.

Thanks,

Larry Hazel

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hardware compatibility issues? Is the hardware Windows XP compatible?
>
> "Homer L. Hazel" <hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am trying to upgrade my daughter's computer from Windows 98se to
>> Windows XP Home (with Service Pack 2). I keep getting blocked from
>> doing the upgrade with a message that my video card and my motherboard
>> do not get along. The video card in question was contained within the
>> motherboard - MS-6734 with all current MSI drivers. It works great
>> under Windows 98.
>>
>> I'm trying the upgrade because I just failed on doing the upgrade with a
>> full
>> version of Windows XP Home. It did not want to upgrade. Anyway, I got
>> it installed on the same motherboard without problems. Granted, I
> upgraded
>> to Windows 2000 Professional first, but Windows XP would not upgrade, but
>> did successfully work as a fresh install. So, I know Windows XP will work
> on
>> this Motherboard. I ghosted a copy of her drive onto another drive
>> before
>> started, so her original drive is still intact. I'm very cautious.
>>
>> Thinking there might be something to the video problem, I installed
> Another
>> drive in yet another computer - another MSI Motherboard MS-6368 Vers 5.
>>
>> It too refuses to upgrade, and it has an even different video driver.
>>
>> Now - what do I use to identify the problem with the Windows 98
>> installation?
>>
>> Granted it might have originated as a Windows 95 system before it got
>> upgraded,
>> and that might have come from a Windows 3.11 system. I have been very
>> careful
>> to try to maintain my daughter's data.
>>
>> Any suggestions at all?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Larry Hazel

Usually, the included drivers with the XP install CD are not the latest
available for the hardware. It was true that there were drivers conflicts
with hardware when XP first came out. If the hardware is still supported by
the manufacturer, they would have since created revised drivers so as to fix
the conflicts.

> Kevin,
>
> Yes - I have done an installation of Windows XP - non upgrade on the same
> hardware
> works like a champ. Unfortunately, it killed all of my daughters
> programs.
>
> Don't know if the hardware is in the 'approved' list or not, but it did
> work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry Hazel
>
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hardware compatibility issues? Is the hardware Windows XP compatible?
>>
>> "Homer L. Hazel" <hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I am trying to upgrade my daughter's computer from Windows 98se to
>>> Windows XP Home (with Service Pack 2). I keep getting blocked from
>>> doing the upgrade with a message that my video card and my motherboard
>>> do not get along. The video card in question was contained within the
>>> motherboard - MS-6734 with all current MSI drivers. It works great
>>> under Windows 98.
>>>
>>> I'm trying the upgrade because I just failed on doing the upgrade with a
>>> full
>>> version of Windows XP Home. It did not want to upgrade. Anyway, I got
>>> it installed on the same motherboard without problems. Granted, I
>> upgraded
>>> to Windows 2000 Professional first, but Windows XP would not upgrade,
>>> but
>>> did successfully work as a fresh install. So, I know Windows XP will
>>> work
>> on
>>> this Motherboard. I ghosted a copy of her drive onto another drive
>>> before
>>> started, so her original drive is still intact. I'm very cautious.
>>>
>>> Thinking there might be something to the video problem, I installed
>> Another
>>> drive in yet another computer - another MSI Motherboard MS-6368 Vers 5.
>>>
>>> It too refuses to upgrade, and it has an even different video driver.
>>>
>>> Now - what do I use to identify the problem with the Windows 98
>>> installation?
>>>
>>> Granted it might have originated as a Windows 95 system before it got
>>> upgraded,
>>> and that might have come from a Windows 3.11 system. I have been very
>>> careful
>>> to try to maintain my daughter's data.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions at all?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Larry Hazel

Maybe you need to remove the graphics drivers before doing an upgrade
installation.

(Install the generic VGA drivers instead.) You may need to manually remove
the offending drivers, even if they aren't operating the onboard graphics.
The trick will be in identifying them.

(I had to do something similar a few years ago. I was installing XP on a
PIII mainboard with a built-in Highpoint HPT366 IDE controller. The XP
installer wasn't detecting the controller itself; it was detecting the
drivers. Once those were gone, I was able to install XP.)

You may be able to find newer versions of the graphics drivers at
www.msi.com.tw, or www.s3graphics.com.

I hope that a clean install of XP is an option for you. It may be a lot of
work, but it ultimately may give a system with the fewest glitches.

Regards,

Bob Knowlden

"Homer L. Hazel" <hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to upgrade my daughter's computer from Windows 98se to
> Windows XP Home (with Service Pack 2). I keep getting blocked from
> doing the upgrade with a message that my video card and my motherboard
> do not get along. The video card in question was contained within the
> motherboard - MS-6734 with all current MSI drivers. It works great
> under Windows 98.
>
> I'm trying the upgrade because I just failed on doing the upgrade with a
> full
> version of Windows XP Home. It did not want to upgrade. Anyway, I got
> it installed on the same motherboard without problems. Granted, I
> upgraded
> to Windows 2000 Professional first, but Windows XP would not upgrade, but
> did successfully work as a fresh install. So, I know Windows XP will work
> on
> this Motherboard. I ghosted a copy of her drive onto another drive before
> started, so her original drive is still intact. I'm very cautious.
>
> Thinking there might be something to the video problem, I installed
> Another
> drive in yet another computer - another MSI Motherboard MS-6368 Vers 5.
>
> It too refuses to upgrade, and it has an even different video driver.
>
> Now - what do I use to identify the problem with the Windows 98
> installation?
>
> Granted it might have originated as a Windows 95 system before it got
> upgraded,
> and that might have come from a Windows 3.11 system. I have been very
> careful
> to try to maintain my daughter's data.
>
> Any suggestions at all?
>
> Thanks,