where's the network key?

I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network. Wizard asks
me for the network key. Where do I find it?
2 answers Last reply
More about where network

    On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:04 -0800, weywallace wrote:

    > I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network. Wizard asks
    > me for the network key. Where do I find it?

    If you have not already created it, you make it up. All wireless devices on
    your network will need the same key. Read your router manual for details.
    You may want to create and test your wireless network before creating the
    key.

    BobC wrote:

    > On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:15:04 -0800, weywallace wrote:
    >
    >> I"m trying to add a laptop to my home linksys wireless network.
    >> Wizard asks
    >> me for the network key. Where do I find it?
    >
    > If you have not already created it, you make it up. All wireless
    > devices on your network will need the same key. Read your router
    > manual for details. You may want to create and test your wireless
    > network before creating the key.

    Just to fill in some details to BobC's excellent advice:

    Weywallace, you need to properly configure your Linksys. To get to its
    configuration, from a wired computer open your browser and enter in the
    addressbar: http://192.168.1.1 [enter]

    This will bring you to the Linksys configuration settings. Refer to the
    manual for the default username and password. It might be a blank for
    the username and "Admin" for the password, but you should check. Once
    you are in, go to the Wireless settings. Change the SSID from the
    default "Linksys" to something unique. Set the encryption. To start
    with, use WEP (if all works and your hardware supports it, WPA is
    better and you should change to that method). If there is a passphrase
    generator, enter something in there and generate the key. The key is
    what will get entered into the laptop's wireless settings. You will not
    use the passphrase again. Here are some links to help you:

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    Linksys networking information
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -