Upgrading processor or motherboard better?

a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 3:47:01 AM

Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I have
the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new motherboard
& a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of
dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack
of cash, lol

So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 7:07:08 AM

Vik wrote:
> Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
> I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD
> Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz
> processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make much
> difference in speed if I changed my processor to the faster Athlon or
> would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster processor, I
> don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of dvd & photo
> editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack of
> cash, lol
>
> So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?

A processor upgrade and more RAM (if you have below 768MB) would make your
system faster. Actually, for what you say you use it for, the same speed
processor in non-duron format would even make a difference. So if you maxed
out the motherboard with the fastest processor it could handle and had
enough RAM, I would bet you would see almost a doubling in noticable speed.

--
<- Shenan ->
a b V Motherboard

Great, I might take the motherboard manual down to the computer shop & ask
how much it costs for a faster processor, hope I don't need to buy a new
heatsink as well, I prefer to add things to my computer myself instead of
paying someone else to do it & I am not confident of adding a motherboard to
my list of upgrading talents yet ;)

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Vik wrote:
> > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
> > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD
> > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz
> > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make much
> > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the faster Athlon or
> > would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster processor, I
> > don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of dvd & photo
> > editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack of
> > cash, lol
> >
> > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
>
> A processor upgrade and more RAM (if you have below 768MB) would make your
> system faster. Actually, for what you say you use it for, the same speed
> processor in non-duron format would even make a difference. So if you maxed
> out the motherboard with the fastest processor it could handle and had
> enough RAM, I would bet you would see almost a doubling in noticable speed.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 8:15:19 AM

A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in your
use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM so
you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and buy
a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
scarce due to being long out of production.

You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you might
get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz machine.
The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and you
would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
drive would also speed up your computer and would be the one
item that could be used with a really new machine.

On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is very
useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are faster
than what you now likely have.

"*vik*" <vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Great, I might take the motherboard manual down to the
computer shop & ask
| how much it costs for a faster processor, hope I don't
need to buy a new
| heatsink as well, I prefer to add things to my computer
myself instead of
| paying someone else to do it & I am not confident of
adding a motherboard to
| my list of upgrading talents yet ;)
|
| "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
|
| > Vik wrote:
| > > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron
processor,
| > > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it
supports AMD
| > > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron
600mhz-850mhz
| > > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make
much
| > > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the
faster Athlon or
| > > would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster
processor, I
| > > don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of
dvd & photo
| > > editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading
due to lack of
| > > cash, lol
| > >
| > > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth
the hassle?

| > A processor upgrade and more RAM (if you have below
768MB) would make your
| > system faster. Actually, for what you say you use it
for, the same speed
| > processor in non-duron format would even make a
difference. So if you maxed
| > out the motherboard with the fastest processor it could
handle and had
| > enough RAM, I would bet you would see almost a doubling
in noticable speed.

| > --
| > <- Shenan ->
| > --
| > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
research for
| > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
| > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
| > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 8:46:43 AM

Jim Macklin wrote:
> A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in your
> use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM so
> you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
> speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and buy
> a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
> cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
> scarce due to being long out of production.
>
> You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you might
> get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz machine.
> The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and you
> would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
> drive would also speed up your computer and would be the one
> item that could be used with a really new machine.
>
> On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
> well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is very
> useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are faster
> than what you now likely have.

Jim,

You missed the fact the OP posted concerning the ATHLON processors the
current board accepted. Yes, the OP could go from an 800 Duron to a 850
Duron, but they could also go to a 1.33ghz Athlon. 500MHz jump in speed.

--
<- Shenan ->
a b V Motherboard

> Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
> I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
> 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I
> have
> the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
> processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new
> motherboard
> & a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit
> of
> dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to
> lack
> of cash, lol
>
> So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
>
> Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 266MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM

$41.00 CPU. They don't get much cheaper than that! Add as much RAM as
your motherboard can handle & you will be surprised at the difference.
Getting a large, fast hard drive is a good idea also. This is a hot running
CPU so do not skimp on the heatsink/fan.

You really would be better off getting a new motherboard, CPU & RAM. Most
likely you will need a new case or at least a new power supply. How much
RAM do you currently have? The SD RAM you will need won't be usable with
any new machine, as they all take DDR SD RAM.

Good luck!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 12:33:17 PM

Yes, I did miss that, but I don't think that even the 500
MHz jump is a worthwhile cost when you add in the cost of
other upgrades needed to get the performance he wants. At
some point a new computer becomes more cost effective.

The OP can do "their thing" but I was playing Devil's
Advocate so that all the factors would be in mind.

Thanks for pointing out my error, I just shouldn't read late
at night.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
| > useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are
faster
| > than what you now likely have.
|
| Jim,
|
| You missed the fact the OP posted concerning the ATHLON
processors the
| current board accepted. Yes, the OP could go from an 800
Duron to a 850
| Duron, but they could also go to a 1.33ghz Athlon. 500MHz
jump in speed.

| --
| <- Shenan ->
| --
| The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
research for
| yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
| responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
| getting into before you jump in with both feet.

November 21, 2004 2:42:02 PM

Hi, the other thing is that your motherboard manual is probably out of date
and bios upgrades may have made it compatible with newer CPU's. Perhaps you
could post up here the actual make and model?
Chris C
"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

> "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
>> I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
>> 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I
>> have
>> the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
>> processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new
>> motherboard
>> & a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit
>> of
>> dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to
>> lack
>> of cash, lol
>>
>> So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 266MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM
>
> $41.00 CPU. They don't get much cheaper than that! Add as much RAM as
> your motherboard can handle & you will be surprised at the difference.
> Getting a large, fast hard drive is a good idea also. This is a hot
> running CPU so do not skimp on the heatsink/fan.
>
> You really would be better off getting a new motherboard, CPU & RAM. Most
> likely you will need a new case or at least a new power supply. How much
> RAM do you currently have? The SD RAM you will need won't be usable with
> any new machine, as they all take DDR SD RAM.
>
> Good luck!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2004 6:27:02 PM

I will be asking about the athlon this week :)
I will have to open the case up to see how much more Ram I can fit in, I
think I have three hundred & something already, & Jim mentioned the
harddrive, I already have 100gb harddrive, since this computer came with a
20gb drive & I added an extra 80 which is partioned.