Upgrading processor or motherboard better?

Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I have
the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new motherboard
& a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of
dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack
of cash, lol

So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrading processor motherboard better

    Vik wrote:
    > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD
    > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz
    > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make much
    > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the faster Athlon or
    > would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster processor, I
    > don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of dvd & photo
    > editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack of
    > cash, lol
    >
    > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?

    A processor upgrade and more RAM (if you have below 768MB) would make your
    system faster. Actually, for what you say you use it for, the same speed
    processor in non-duron format would even make a difference. So if you maxed
    out the motherboard with the fastest processor it could handle and had
    enough RAM, I would bet you would see almost a doubling in noticable speed.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Great, I might take the motherboard manual down to the computer shop & ask
    how much it costs for a faster processor, hope I don't need to buy a new
    heatsink as well, I prefer to add things to my computer myself instead of
    paying someone else to do it & I am not confident of adding a motherboard to
    my list of upgrading talents yet ;)

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Vik wrote:
    > > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    > > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD
    > > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz
    > > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make much
    > > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the faster Athlon or
    > > would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster processor, I
    > > don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of dvd & photo
    > > editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to lack of
    > > cash, lol
    > >
    > > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
    >
    > A processor upgrade and more RAM (if you have below 768MB) would make your
    > system faster. Actually, for what you say you use it for, the same speed
    > processor in non-duron format would even make a difference. So if you maxed
    > out the motherboard with the fastest processor it could handle and had
    > enough RAM, I would bet you would see almost a doubling in noticable speed.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in your
    use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM so
    you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
    speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and buy
    a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
    cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
    scarce due to being long out of production.

    You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you might
    get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz machine.
    The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and you
    would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
    drive would also speed up your computer and would be the one
    item that could be used with a really new machine.

    On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
    well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is very
    useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are faster
    than what you now likely have.

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in your
    > use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM so
    > you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
    > speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and buy
    > a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
    > cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
    > scarce due to being long out of production.
    >
    > You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you might
    > get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz machine.
    > The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and you
    > would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
    > drive would also speed up your computer and would be the one
    > item that could be used with a really new machine.
    >
    > On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
    > well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is very
    > useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are faster
    > than what you now likely have.

    Jim,

    You missed the fact the OP posted concerning the ATHLON processors the
    current board accepted. Yes, the OP could go from an 800 Duron to a 850
    Duron, but they could also go to a 1.33ghz Athlon. 500MHz jump in speed.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
    > 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I
    > have
    > the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
    > processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new
    > motherboard
    > & a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit
    > of
    > dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to
    > lack
    > of cash, lol
    >
    > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
    >
    > Thanks

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-156&depa=1
    AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 266MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM

    $41.00 CPU. They don't get much cheaper than that! Add as much RAM as
    your motherboard can handle & you will be surprised at the difference.
    Getting a large, fast hard drive is a good idea also. This is a hot running
    CPU so do not skimp on the heatsink/fan.

    You really would be better off getting a new motherboard, CPU & RAM. Most
    likely you will need a new case or at least a new power supply. How much
    RAM do you currently have? The SD RAM you will need won't be usable with
    any new machine, as they all take DDR SD RAM.

    Good luck!

    Yes, I did miss that, but I don't think that even the 500
    MHz jump is a worthwhile cost when you add in the cost of
    other upgrades needed to get the performance he wants. At
    some point a new computer becomes more cost effective.

    The OP can do "their thing" but I was playing Devil's
    Advocate so that all the factors would be in mind.

    Thanks for pointing out my error, I just shouldn't read late
    at night.

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    | Vik wrote:
    | > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    | > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it
    supports AMD
    | > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron
    600mhz-850mhz
    | > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make
    much
    | > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the
    faster Athlon
    | > or would it be better to get a new motherboard & a
    faster
    | > processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do
    a bit of
    | > dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on
    upgrading
    | > due to lack of cash, lol
    | >
    | > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth
    the hassle?

    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in
    your
    | > use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM
    so
    | > you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
    | > speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and
    buy
    | > a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
    | > cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
    | > scarce due to being long out of production.
    | >
    | > You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you
    might
    | > get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz
    machine.
    | > The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and
    you
    | > would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
    | > drive would also speed up your computer and would be the
    one
    | > item that could be used with a really new machine.
    | >
    | > On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
    | > well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is
    very
    | > useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are
    faster
    | > than what you now likely have.
    |
    | Jim,
    |
    | You missed the fact the OP posted concerning the ATHLON
    processors the
    | current board accepted. Yes, the OP could go from an 800
    Duron to a 850
    | Duron, but they could also go to a 1.33ghz Athlon. 500MHz
    jump in speed.

    | --
    | <- Shenan ->
    | --
    | The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
    research for
    | yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
    ultimately
    | responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
    what you are
    | getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    Hi, the other thing is that your motherboard manual is probably out of date
    and bios upgrades may have made it compatible with newer CPU's. Perhaps you
    could post up here the actual make and model?
    Chris C
    "Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

    > "Vik" <Vik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    >> I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD Athlon
    >> 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz processor. Since I
    >> have
    >> the 800mhz Duron would it make much difference in speed if I changed my
    >> processor to the faster Athlon or would it be better to get a new
    >> motherboard
    >> & a faster processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit
    >> of
    >> dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading due to
    >> lack
    >> of cash, lol
    >>
    >> So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-156&depa=1
    > AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz, 266MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - OEM
    >
    > $41.00 CPU. They don't get much cheaper than that! Add as much RAM as
    > your motherboard can handle & you will be surprised at the difference.
    > Getting a large, fast hard drive is a good idea also. This is a hot
    > running CPU so do not skimp on the heatsink/fan.
    >
    > You really would be better off getting a new motherboard, CPU & RAM. Most
    > likely you will need a new case or at least a new power supply. How much
    > RAM do you currently have? The SD RAM you will need won't be usable with
    > any new machine, as they all take DDR SD RAM.
    >
    > Good luck!

    I will be asking about the athlon this week :)
    I will have to open the case up to see how much more Ram I can fit in, I
    think I have three hundred & something already, & Jim mentioned the
    harddrive, I already have 100gb harddrive, since this computer came with a
    20gb drive & I added an extra 80 which is partioned.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Vik wrote:
    > > Hi, I have a motherboard with a 800mhz duron processor,
    > > I am reading my motherboard manual here & it says it supports AMD
    > > Athlon 600mhz-1.33ghz processor, or AMD Duron 600mhz-850mhz
    > > processor. Since I have the 800mhz Duron would it make much
    > > difference in speed if I changed my processor to the faster Athlon
    > > or would it be better to get a new motherboard & a faster
    > > processor, I don't use my computer for 3d games but do a bit of
    > > dvd & photo editing & don't want to spend too much on upgrading
    > > due to lack of cash, lol
    > >
    > > So basically, is a processor upgrade by itself worth the hassle?
    >
    > Jim Macklin wrote:
    > > A 50 MHz boost in CPU speed will be nearly invisible in your
    > > use. A new mobo and CPU will likely also need new RAM so
    > > you are looking at about $200-250 to get a truly useful
    > > speed boost. I suggest you save your money for now and buy
    > > a more modern system. The old 850 MHz CPU will probably
    > > cost MORE than a 2 GHz CPU since it is now becoming more
    > > scarce due to being long out of production.
    > >
    > > You might investigate more RAM and over-clocking, you might
    > > get a boost to 900 MHz -1 GHz out of your 800 MHz machine.
    > > The RAM would have to support the faster FSB speed and you
    > > would have to adjust your CPU multiplier...A faster hard
    > > drive would also speed up your computer and would be the one
    > > item that could be used with a really new machine.
    > >
    > > On a older system most of the hardware will not upgrade
    > > well. For video/graphics editing a big hard drive is very
    > > useful and the newer 7200 RPM with 8 NB buffer HD are faster
    > > than what you now likely have.
    >
    > Jim,
    >
    > You missed the fact the OP posted concerning the ATHLON processors the
    > current board accepted. Yes, the OP could go from an 800 Duron to a 850
    > Duron, but they could also go to a 1.33ghz Athlon. 500MHz jump in speed.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

Processors Motherboards Duron Windows XP