bluetooth com port

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi all.
Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
them.
How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth port
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I am just going to throw out a guess on this one. My guess is the bluetooth
    adapter has it's own com port which is added when it is installed. Therefore
    the way to disable the com port would be to disable the adapter. No other
    device would be able to use the com port provided by the adapter. I suggest
    not messing the the com ports, there is usually a better fix. What is the
    problem by the way? Maybe we can find an alternative solution to your
    problem.

    Thanks,

    John
    americantechie.com

    "Alberto" wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
    > I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
    > but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
    > them.
    > How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:54:12 +0100, "Alberto"
    <a.forlai@nospam.virgilio.it> wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
    >I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
    >but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
    >them.
    >How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23

    With your gizmo installed, go to device manager and open the
    propertys of comport it has been assigned to, and click on the
    advanced button. In the lower left is the comport drop down that
    has comports 1 thru 256. Open the list and scroll up to the
    comport you want to use, like 5. It may say it is in use (it
    shouldn't be if you have nothing else connected), but just ignore
    the conflict warning and chose ok. XP has a flaw where it
    assigns a new comport number to USB comport port devices each
    time they are plugged in.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ok this is not a big problem.
    The fact is, if I add a portable phone to bluetooth devices I can see it on
    COM10.
    If i delete the phone for bluetooth devices and add it again I see it on
    COM11
    and so on. (com port numer increse always. if I go to see in HW resorces I
    still see COM10 is use but nothing is connected of it, becuase the only
    phone I'm using is on COM11)
    At the end I can find the end of com ports .....
    "AmericanTechie" <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:9A09AA86-7798-4D82-BC17-2AFC92D6E724@microsoft.com...
    >I am just going to throw out a guess on this one. My guess is the
    >bluetooth
    > adapter has it's own com port which is added when it is installed.
    > Therefore
    > the way to disable the com port would be to disable the adapter. No other
    > device would be able to use the com port provided by the adapter. I
    > suggest
    > not messing the the com ports, there is usually a better fix. What is the
    > problem by the way? Maybe we can find an alternative solution to your
    > problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John
    > americantechie.com
    >
    > "Alberto" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >> Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
    >> I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
    >> but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
    >> them.
    >> How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I _think_ those COM ports should be found in device manager (Start->Run:
    devmgmt.msc and Ports) delete them from there...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Alberto" <a.forlai@nospam.virgilio.it> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Ok this is not a big problem.
    > The fact is, if I add a portable phone to bluetooth devices I can see it
    on
    > COM10.
    > If i delete the phone for bluetooth devices and add it again I see it on
    > COM11
    > and so on. (com port numer increse always. if I go to see in HW resorces I
    > still see COM10 is use but nothing is connected of it, becuase the only
    > phone I'm using is on COM11)
    > At the end I can find the end of com ports .....
    > "AmericanTechie" <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel
    > messaggio news:9A09AA86-7798-4D82-BC17-2AFC92D6E724@microsoft.com...
    > >I am just going to throw out a guess on this one. My guess is the
    > >bluetooth
    > > adapter has it's own com port which is added when it is installed.
    > > Therefore
    > > the way to disable the com port would be to disable the adapter. No
    other
    > > device would be able to use the com port provided by the adapter. I
    > > suggest
    > > not messing the the com ports, there is usually a better fix. What is
    the
    > > problem by the way? Maybe we can find an alternative solution to your
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > John
    > > americantechie.com
    > >
    > > "Alberto" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi all.
    > >> Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter
    ?
    > >> I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to
    COM26
    > >> but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu
    use
    > >> them.
    > >> How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I am having the same problem. I am now at com 11. I am using my bluetooth in
    conjunction with activesync. Activesync is on'y able to connect to ports 1-9
    it appears and I can no loger connect. Has anyone figured out how to reclaim
    those ports?

    "Alberto" wrote:

    > Hi all.
    > Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
    > I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
    > but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
    > them.
    > How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23
    >
    > Thanks

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=bluetooth%20com%20ports&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.Windowsxp.*&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2001&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bluetooth+com+ports&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Captain" <Captain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having the same problem. I am now at com 11. I am using my bluetooth
    >in
    > conjunction with activesync. Activesync is on'y able to connect to ports
    > 1-9
    > it appears and I can no loger connect. Has anyone figured out how to
    > reclaim
    > those ports?
    >
    > "Alberto" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >> Is it possible to cancel/delete the com port used by bluetooth adapter ?
    >> I have done some attempt with two phone and now I am using COM24 to COM26
    >> but from COM3 to COM 23 thay are all free but Is impossible for me tu use
    >> them.
    >> How can I reuse or delete COM3 -> COM23
    >>
    >> Thanks

Comm Port Microsoft Bluetooth Windows XP