Help! Flashed Bios - machine now inert (GA-6BXC)

I used @Bios to update the BIOS on my friend's machine (well, he's currently
a friend), hoping to fix power-down problems - I'd tried everything else. I
was careful to choose the right version F3 (avoiding the Beta) at:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-6BXC.htm
assuming that it was a couple of years old so must be stable. The process
went without a hitch apparently, but on reboot, no POST, some CD activity
(but won't boot from it) and no floppy activity.

Are there things I can try, or must I replace the board?

--
####################
## PH, London

If I have to replace it, what model should I replace it with? Any of these?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=924712636&action=c2hvd2JyYW5k&mfr_uid=69

--
####################
## PH, London
"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> I used @Bios to update the BIOS on my friend's machine (well, he's
currently
> a friend), hoping to fix power-down problems - I'd tried everything else.
> was careful to choose the right version F3 (avoiding the Beta) at:
> http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-6BXC.htm
> assuming that it was a couple of years old so must be stable. The process
> went without a hitch apparently, but on reboot, no POST, some CD activity
> (but won't boot from it) and no floppy activity.
>
> Are there things I can try, or must I replace the board?
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Bit over the top?

--
####################
## PH, London

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48557

In article <cddudh$7gh$1@titan.btinternet.com>, Philip Herlihy
<foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> writes

>I used @Bios to update the BIOS on my friend's machine (well, he's currently
>a friend), hoping to fix power-down problems - I'd tried everything else. I
>was careful to choose the right version F3 (avoiding the Beta) at:
>http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-6BXC.htm
>assuming that it was a couple of years old so must be stable. The process
>went without a hitch apparently, but on reboot, no POST, some CD activity
>(but won't boot from it) and no floppy activity.

Does this model not have DualBIOS? The same thing happened to me with a
7VRXP, fortunately the DualBIOS kicked in and saved the day.

--
A. Top posters.

No dual BIOS, alas, or I'd have had a working machine. I've found that
these people:
http://www.upgradestore.co.uk/acatalog/BIOS_Upgrades.html
can supply a replacement BIOS chip inexpensively, so that's the solution for
me.

I prefer top-posting, and vote with my posts. I believe it'll eventually
become the norm. Tolerance of diversity is a sign of a mature mind :)

--
####################
## PH, London

> No dual BIOS, alas, or I'd have had a working machine. I've found that
> these people:
> http://www.upgradestore.co.uk/acatalog/BIOS_Upgrades.html
> can supply a replacement BIOS chip inexpensively, so that's the solution
for
> me.
>
> I prefer top-posting, and vote with my posts. I believe it'll eventually
> become the norm. Tolerance of diversity is a sign of a mature mind :)

Insistence upon top posting is a sign of someone who refuses to accept the
norm. This issue got started years ago when the Internet became public.
When it was mostly government and college lab work, top-posting was never
encountered. Everyone used bottom posting because it retained the sequence
of the exchange. It was a simple single keystroke to jump to the bottom to
read the most recent entry. Or, if one was entering into a topic that had
been ongoing for a while, it was easy to read from top to bottom.
Everything was in sequence, so it was always easy to follow. When people
began to use top-posting, threads became a hodgepodge of entries. Now it is
nearly impossible to follow some threads which contain both top and bottom
posting. Thank goodness the practice isn't very common.

I might also suggest that the person who does this is less likely to receive
help from others if his posting habits are a nuisance for others to deal
with.

The attempt to manipulate others by implying that they aren't mature if they
don't agree with you is surely one of the most childish manipulative stunts
I've encountered in some time. That said, I feel free to say that:
Those who insist upon using top posting are a small minority and always
have been. "tis a bit like the 4-year old who, standing there in his shorts
and beanie cap with his arms defiantly folded across his chest; stomps his
foot while issuing the emphatic declaration that he'll do it his way. No
matter that he's the only one on the block who does it that way and that
everyone else considers him to be a bit of a nutcase who is throwing a
childish tantrum.
ww