need help identifying motherboard

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,comp.hardware (More info?)

Sorry for the cross post but i need help.

I'm trying to help out my neighbor with their pc. Since i'm used to dealing
with dells and other pc manufacturers, i've never had to identify specifics
related to motherboards, etc. They have a pc that was built by a friend and
i need to identify the motherboard.

It has award bios and the bios id string is 2A5IMC39.

According to www.wimsbios.com here is what i know:

2A5IM - means SiS 530 chipset
C3 - means chaintech is motherboard manufacturer

So, i just want to get manual and other support information (specs, limits,
etc) and i can't seem to get this from the chaintech web site.

Please help!!

Thanks. Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,comp.hardware (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:34:29 GMT, "Cut"
<ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the cross post but i need help.
>
>I'm trying to help out my neighbor with their pc. Since i'm used to dealing
>with dells and other pc manufacturers, i've never had to identify specifics
>related to motherboards, etc. They have a pc that was built by a friend and
>i need to identify the motherboard.
>
>It has award bios and the bios id string is 2A5IMC39.
>
>According to www.wimsbios.com here is what i know:
>
>2A5IM - means SiS 530 chipset
>C3 - means chaintech is motherboard manufacturer
>
>So, i just want to get manual and other support information (specs, limits,
>etc) and i can't seem to get this from the chaintech web site.
>
>Please help!!
>
>Thanks. Chris

Let's run though a basic procedure to find this info....

1) Take 2A5IMC39 and Google search it,
http://www.google.com/search?q=2A5IMC39

2) 1 hit is returned, with mobo specs matching what you've
listed. Odds are overwhelming that this is what you were looking
for. http://amazingforums.com/forum/PCSME19/16.html
It is reported to be a Chaintech 5ssv

3) Supposing you dont' know Chaintech's website, URL (you can
guess what's coming..........
http://www.google.com/search?q=Chaintech
1st hit returned is the Chaintech website, with a clickthru to
the US 'site, http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/

4) On Chaintech US 'site, follow the links...
Downloads->Motherboard->(nothing, there are no Socket 7
listings).
It was the best place to try first, but having failed, we go back
to Chaintech's homepage and select their Far East 'sites, since
those are the most important and featured to a Far Eastern
Company.
http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/
Unfortunately, the global 'site implies that the US 'site was a
fairly up to date mirror, so odds are low the global 'site has
what we want.
Doing a search on Chaintech 'site for "5ssv" doesn't turn up
anything either, so we hope that some other Chaintech 'sites
aren't up-to-date-mirrors.

By Googling again (or we could just go to ALL the Chaintech
'sites on that first website page) for "5SSV" we see the product
is still listed on one of Chaintech's sites,
http://www.chaintech.de/PRODUCTI/mainboar/socket7/5SSV.htm

This process of finding this seems drawn out but it took less
time to do it that type it here. Since website still has product
info we goto their manual page and get that:

http://www.chaintech.de/QUESTION/Manuals.HTM
and bios,
http://www.chaintech.de/BIOS/Models/5SSV.HTM

Drivers might be better obtained from SIS, and ESS (for audio)
due to likelihood of being several versions newer than on
Chaintech website. You can guess how to find SIS and ESS
websites.
http://www.google.com/search?q=SIS
http://www.google.com/search?q=ESS

Cut wrote:
> Sorry for the cross post but i need help.
>
> I'm trying to help out my neighbor with their pc. Since i'm used to
> dealing with dells and other pc manufacturers, i've never had to
> identify specifics related to motherboards, etc. They have a pc that
> was built by a friend and i need to identify the motherboard.
>
> It has award bios and the bios id string is 2A5IMC39.
>
> According to www.wimsbios.com here is what i know:
>
> 2A5IM - means SiS 530 chipset
> C3 - means chaintech is motherboard manufacturer
>
> So, i just want to get manual and other support information (specs,
> limits, etc) and i can't seem to get this from the chaintech web site.
>
> Please help!!
>
> Thanks. Chris

Since it is a 'clone' type of mobo and somewhat recent vintage; look ON
the mobo itself for the mfgr and model. It should be there. Just like
Gigabyte, Asus and Abit put on theirs.
McG.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,comp.hardware (More info?)

best thing to do go to belarc.com download advisor will tell you about mobo
and a whole lot more.

Not sure if you are going to be able to help the neighbor with your limited
PC knowledge!

Wayne

"Cut" <ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for the cross post but i need help.
>
> I'm trying to help out my neighbor with their pc. Since i'm used to
dealing
> with dells and other pc manufacturers, i've never had to identify
specifics
> related to motherboards, etc. They have a pc that was built by a friend
and
> i need to identify the motherboard.
>
> It has award bios and the bios id string is 2A5IMC39.
>
> According to www.wimsbios.com here is what i know:
>
> 2A5IM - means SiS 530 chipset
> C3 - means chaintech is motherboard manufacturer
>
> So, i just want to get manual and other support information (specs,
limits,
> etc) and i can't seem to get this from the chaintech web site.
>
> Please help!!
>
> Thanks. Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,comp.hardware (More info?)

"Cut" <ccutlip@nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the cross post but i need help.
Perhaps a better crosspost would have been to include the Chaintech
newsgroup alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech where the people are
more used to the chaintech websites than gigabyte users.

I spent a few minutes researching the bios id string and with just one
hit. So did "kony". I then went looking for a 5ssv0 manual. You might
try this URL http://www.chaintech.com.tw:8008/support/manuals.htm

And Wim's Bios page also suggested using CTBIOS v1.5 and CTPCI330.zip.
The German site hosting these was unavailable. They are both available
at http://www.racelinecentral.com/systemtuning.html

Google is a great tool!

On this day, 18/Jul/04 23:34, Cut said the following:
> Sorry for the cross post but i need help.
>
> I'm trying to help out my neighbor with their pc. Since i'm used to dealing
> with dells and other pc manufacturers,
<snip>

Please do not think I am being rude, but if this is your knowledge
please stop now and ask for help from someone who knows a wee bit more.

The mobo will be stamped and also have a serial number telling you this
information, as all internal parts do.

Regards
--
d[®_®]b PK