Upgrade CPU and Memory in GA 8KNXP - Advice Needed

At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
worth it?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
3 answers Last reply

    Si wrote:
    > At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
    > installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea
    > of upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB
    > of PC 3200 to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to
    > know is, will I see a noticeable difference in performance for my
    > money? In other words, is it worth it?

    I did exactly this, and yes it is faster; noticeable, but not
    earth-shattering! You will perhaps enable hyperthreading, which does make a
    difference in speed, especially when doing two or more tasks at once.
    However I have had a few odd crashes, which I think may be due to enabling
    hyperthreading. ( I also changed my graphics card from a Nvidia 5600FX to an
    ATI 9800 pro, and that made a lot of difference).

    John.

    I would just upgrade the memory to dual chanel pc3200 and make it 2GB

    I just did this and the system is much faster. Use Kingston Value ram.
    It was $100 a stick here in the U.S.

    The benifit is if you still want the faster cpu then thats all you
    will have to change

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:58:22 +0100, "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
    >installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
    >upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
    >to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
    >a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
    >worth it?
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Si

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:58:22 +0100, "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
    >installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
    >upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
    >to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
    >a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
    >worth it?
    >
    >Cheers.
    >
    >Si

    Why not set it up for Dual Channel Memory..???..

    You just need 2 Rams like 512mb ones..

    That board does not support Faster Rams, so P 3200 is fast enough..

Gigabyte CPUs Memory Motherboards