Upgrade CPU and Memory in GA 8KNXP - Advice Needed

Si

At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
worth it?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Si wrote:
> At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
> installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea
> of upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB
> of PC 3200 to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to
> know is, will I see a noticeable difference in performance for my
> money? In other words, is it worth it?

I did exactly this, and yes it is faster; noticeable, but not
earth-shattering! You will perhaps enable hyperthreading, which does make a
difference in speed, especially when doing two or more tasks at once.
However I have had a few odd crashes, which I think may be due to enabling
hyperthreading. ( I also changed my graphics card from a Nvidia 5600FX to an
ATI 9800 pro, and that made a lot of difference).

John.

Diane

I would just upgrade the memory to dual chanel pc3200 and make it 2GB

I just did this and the system is much faster. Use Kingston Value ram.
It was $100 a stick here in the U.S.

The benifit is if you still want the faster cpu then thats all you
will have to change

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:58:22 +0100, "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
>installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
>upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
>to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
>a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
>worth it?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Si

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:58:22 +0100, "Si" <si@munirs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>At the moment I have a P4 2.53MHz (533 FSB) and 1 GB of PC 2700 memory
>installed on my GA 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo. I've been toying with the idea of
>upgrading the CPU to a P4 3.0MHz (800 FSB) and the memory to 1 GB of PC 3200
>to match the motherboards capabilities. What I wanted to know is, will I see
>a noticeable difference in performance for my money? In other words, is it
>worth it?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Si

Why not set it up for Dual Channel Memory..???..

You just need 2 Rams like 512mb ones..

That board does not support Faster Rams, so P 3200 is fast enough..