Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disappering AC97 with BIOS F10 on 8KNXP rev 1.0

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2004 2:46:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hello all

After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP doesn't
recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in BIOS doesn't
make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1) installations on the
machine and it is the same on both. It's like the hardware just isn't
there. It's not even in Device Manager anymore.

Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
appears as it should again.


MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
GC: Geforce4 Ti4200

Hard drives:
2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5

DVD drives/recorders
1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player

PCI Cards:
1 x RME HDSP 9652
1 x TC Powercore


Anyone else had this?

Regards
MuteMan
July 20, 2004 9:40:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the sound chip.

Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios (which is
something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact that it is not F10
and flashed it?

I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not had any
problems with the sound...

- Tim




"MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
> Hello all
>
> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP doesn't
> recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in BIOS doesn't
> make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1) installations on the
> machine and it is the same on both. It's like the hardware just isn't
> there. It's not even in Device Manager anymore.
>
> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
> appears as it should again.
>
>
> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>
> Hard drives:
> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>
> DVD drives/recorders
> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>
> PCI Cards:
> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
> 1 x TC Powercore
>
>
> Anyone else had this?
>
> Regards
> MuteMan
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2004 9:40:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".

I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach F10.

Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?

/ MuteMan




"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the sound
> chip.
>
> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact that
> it is not F10 and flashed it?
>
> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not had
> any problems with the sound...
>
> - Tim
>
>
>
>
> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>> Hello all
>>
>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's like
>> the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device Manager
>> anymore.
>>
>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
>> appears as it should again.
>>
>>
>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>
>> Hard drives:
>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>
>> DVD drives/recorders
>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>
>> PCI Cards:
>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>
>>
>> Anyone else had this?
>>
>> Regards
>> MuteMan
>
>
>
Related resources
July 21, 2004 2:40:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I wouldn't do that - its tempting fate.

F6 was an "OK" bios - at least it worked with the bugs it had.
F7, F8, F9 were buggy and few reported even putting them in - those that did
said they had troubles.
A couple daid things were OK, but they may not have had problems before (EG
memory timing issues, RAID / SATA config issues and so on).

Did you have a good reason to upgrade?

IE F7 to f9 are no goers.
F10 cleared all the gruesome bugs & goes well.

Did you get the file straight off GB in Taiwan? If not, go there for it.

I would either get a fresh F10, revert to F6, stick where you are, or look
for another solution... Your file name is exactly as per mine...

I do recall that the flash program that came with the bios was over powered
in that it gave bios merge-editing capabilities (IE load modules, save,
remove?). Could you have inadvertantly removed the sound part of the bios?

The BIOS may not be the solution of course...

- Tim


"MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
news:Xns952C7537185A7mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
> I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
> file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
> name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".
>
> I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
> F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach F10.
>
> Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?
>
> / MuteMan
>
>
>
>
> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the sound
>> chip.
>>
>> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
>> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact that
>> it is not F10 and flashed it?
>>
>> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not had
>> any problems with the sound...
>>
>> - Tim
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's like
>>> the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device Manager
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
>>> appears as it should again.
>>>
>>>
>>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>>
>>> Hard drives:
>>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>>
>>> DVD drives/recorders
>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>>
>>> PCI Cards:
>>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>>
>>>
>>> Anyone else had this?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> MuteMan
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 2:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

You are probably right Tim. In fact, the reason I skipped F7 to F9 was
because of all the problems people were having. Not worth the risk trying
them. F10 seems OK though, so that's why I decided to go with it.

I have no reason to upgrade really since F6 has been working well for me.
If it ain't broken... I know.

But still, since F10 seems to be working so well for everybody it would
have been nice to figure out why I get this problem. I always download
from Gigabyte in Taiwan, and I flash with Q-Flash from within the BIOS
setup. It's just a straight forward and complete flash with no merge-
editing or other editing capabilities. I did the same when going from F5
to F6 with no problem.

I very much appreciate your time and suggestions Tim. I will investigate
futher to see if I come up with something. I'll let you know if I do.

Thanks again
MuteMan



"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdisnl$bg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> I wouldn't do that - its tempting fate.
>
> F6 was an "OK" bios - at least it worked with the bugs it had.
> F7, F8, F9 were buggy and few reported even putting them in - those
> that did said they had troubles.
> A couple daid things were OK, but they may not have had problems
> before (EG memory timing issues, RAID / SATA config issues and so on).
>
> Did you have a good reason to upgrade?
>
> IE F7 to f9 are no goers.
> F10 cleared all the gruesome bugs & goes well.
>
> Did you get the file straight off GB in Taiwan? If not, go there for
> it.
>
> I would either get a fresh F10, revert to F6, stick where you are, or
> look for another solution... Your file name is exactly as per mine...
>
> I do recall that the flash program that came with the bios was over
> powered in that it gave bios merge-editing capabilities (IE load
> modules, save, remove?). Could you have inadvertantly removed the
> sound part of the bios?
>
> The BIOS may not be the solution of course...
>
> - Tim
>
>
> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
> news:Xns952C7537185A7mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>> I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
>> file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
>> name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".
>>
>> I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
>> F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach
>> F10.
>>
>> Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?
>>
>> / MuteMan
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>
>>> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the sound
>>> chip.
>>>
>>> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
>>> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact
>>> that it is not F10 and flashed it?
>>>
>>> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not
>>> had any problems with the sound...
>>>
>>> - Tim
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>> Hello all
>>>>
>>>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>>>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>>>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>>>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's like
>>>> the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device Manager
>>>> anymore.
>>>>
>>>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
>>>> appears as it should again.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>>>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>>>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>>>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>>>
>>>> Hard drives:
>>>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>>>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>>>
>>>> DVD drives/recorders
>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>>>
>>>> PCI Cards:
>>>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>>>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Anyone else had this?
>>>>
>>>> Regards
>>>> MuteMan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
July 21, 2004 8:24:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Hi,

If you read the read me with the bios update it does say to use the included
flash program....
If the Q-Flash is coded to flash size X part of bios and the update is X +
n, then that could explain it.
- Tim

"MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
news:Xns952D19A912663mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
> You are probably right Tim. In fact, the reason I skipped F7 to F9 was
> because of all the problems people were having. Not worth the risk trying
> them. F10 seems OK though, so that's why I decided to go with it.
>
> I have no reason to upgrade really since F6 has been working well for me.
> If it ain't broken... I know.
>
> But still, since F10 seems to be working so well for everybody it would
> have been nice to figure out why I get this problem. I always download
> from Gigabyte in Taiwan, and I flash with Q-Flash from within the BIOS
> setup. It's just a straight forward and complete flash with no merge-
> editing or other editing capabilities. I did the same when going from F5
> to F6 with no problem.
>
> I very much appreciate your time and suggestions Tim. I will investigate
> futher to see if I come up with something. I'll let you know if I do.
>
> Thanks again
> MuteMan
>
>
>
> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdisnl$bg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> I wouldn't do that - its tempting fate.
>>
>> F6 was an "OK" bios - at least it worked with the bugs it had.
>> F7, F8, F9 were buggy and few reported even putting them in - those
>> that did said they had troubles.
>> A couple daid things were OK, but they may not have had problems
>> before (EG memory timing issues, RAID / SATA config issues and so on).
>>
>> Did you have a good reason to upgrade?
>>
>> IE F7 to f9 are no goers.
>> F10 cleared all the gruesome bugs & goes well.
>>
>> Did you get the file straight off GB in Taiwan? If not, go there for
>> it.
>>
>> I would either get a fresh F10, revert to F6, stick where you are, or
>> look for another solution... Your file name is exactly as per mine...
>>
>> I do recall that the flash program that came with the bios was over
>> powered in that it gave bios merge-editing capabilities (IE load
>> modules, save, remove?). Could you have inadvertantly removed the
>> sound part of the bios?
>>
>> The BIOS may not be the solution of course...
>>
>> - Tim
>>
>>
>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>> news:Xns952C7537185A7mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>> I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
>>> file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
>>> name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".
>>>
>>> I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
>>> F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach
>>> F10.
>>>
>>> Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?
>>>
>>> / MuteMan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>>
>>>> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the sound
>>>> chip.
>>>>
>>>> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
>>>> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact
>>>> that it is not F10 and flashed it?
>>>>
>>>> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not
>>>> had any problems with the sound...
>>>>
>>>> - Tim
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>>> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>>> Hello all
>>>>>
>>>>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>>>>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>>>>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>>>>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's like
>>>>> the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device Manager
>>>>> anymore.
>>>>>
>>>>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and it
>>>>> appears as it should again.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>>>>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>>>>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>>>>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>>>>
>>>>> Hard drives:
>>>>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>>>>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>>>>
>>>>> DVD drives/recorders
>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>>>>
>>>>> PCI Cards:
>>>>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>>>>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyone else had this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards
>>>>> MuteMan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2004 8:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

To me that sounds highly unlikely. The Q-Flash flashes 512 kb (524288
bytes) which is exactly the size of the bin file for all the BIOS
versions.

None of the BIOS versions I've downloaded ever came with a readme. Where
did you get the readme? I've never got more than three files, 8knxp.fxx,
autoexec.bat and FLASH8xx.EXE. Did you find a readme somewhere else? I
didn't. Could you please share its content with me, or point to where I
can find it.

There's a statement saying 'Please use Q-Flash utility to update BIOS' on
Gigabytes site. It's on the same page as from where you download the
BIOS. It points to a PDF document which describes the whole Q-Flash
process. Here's the link to it:

http://tw.giga-
byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/pdf/flashbios_qflash.pdf

Regards
MuteMan



"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdkr2m$8o3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:

> Hi,
>
> If you read the read me with the bios update it does say to use the
> included flash program....
> If the Q-Flash is coded to flash size X part of bios and the update is
> X + n, then that could explain it.
> - Tim
>
> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
> news:Xns952D19A912663mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>> You are probably right Tim. In fact, the reason I skipped F7 to F9
>> was because of all the problems people were having. Not worth the
>> risk trying them. F10 seems OK though, so that's why I decided to go
>> with it.
>>
>> I have no reason to upgrade really since F6 has been working well for
>> me. If it ain't broken... I know.
>>
>> But still, since F10 seems to be working so well for everybody it
>> would have been nice to figure out why I get this problem. I always
>> download from Gigabyte in Taiwan, and I flash with Q-Flash from
>> within the BIOS setup. It's just a straight forward and complete
>> flash with no merge- editing or other editing capabilities. I did the
>> same when going from F5 to F6 with no problem.
>>
>> I very much appreciate your time and suggestions Tim. I will
>> investigate futher to see if I come up with something. I'll let you
>> know if I do.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> MuteMan
>>
>>
>>
>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdisnl$bg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>
>>> I wouldn't do that - its tempting fate.
>>>
>>> F6 was an "OK" bios - at least it worked with the bugs it had.
>>> F7, F8, F9 were buggy and few reported even putting them in - those
>>> that did said they had troubles.
>>> A couple daid things were OK, but they may not have had problems
>>> before (EG memory timing issues, RAID / SATA config issues and so
>>> on).
>>>
>>> Did you have a good reason to upgrade?
>>>
>>> IE F7 to f9 are no goers.
>>> F10 cleared all the gruesome bugs & goes well.
>>>
>>> Did you get the file straight off GB in Taiwan? If not, go there for
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I would either get a fresh F10, revert to F6, stick where you are,
>>> or look for another solution... Your file name is exactly as per
>>> mine...
>>>
>>> I do recall that the flash program that came with the bios was over
>>> powered in that it gave bios merge-editing capabilities (IE load
>>> modules, save, remove?). Could you have inadvertantly removed the
>>> sound part of the bios?
>>>
>>> The BIOS may not be the solution of course...
>>>
>>> - Tim
>>>
>>>
>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>> news:Xns952C7537185A7mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>> I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
>>>> file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
>>>> name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".
>>>>
>>>> I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
>>>> F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach
>>>> F10.
>>>>
>>>> Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?
>>>>
>>>> / MuteMan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>>>
>>>>> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the
>>>>> sound chip.
>>>>>
>>>>> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
>>>>> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact
>>>>> that it is not F10 and flashed it?
>>>>>
>>>>> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not
>>>>> had any problems with the sound...
>>>>>
>>>>> - Tim
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>>>> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>>>> Hello all
>>>>>>
>>>>>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>>>>>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>>>>>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>>>>>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's
>>>>>> like the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device
>>>>>> Manager anymore.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and
>>>>>> it appears as it should again.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>>>>>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>>>>>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>>>>>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hard drives:
>>>>>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>>>>>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>>>>>
>>>>>> DVD drives/recorders
>>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>>>>>
>>>>>> PCI Cards:
>>>>>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>>>>>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Anyone else had this?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Regards
>>>>>> MuteMan
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
July 22, 2004 4:27:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

Fair enough. There was no read me sorry.

The download i have came with:

8knxp.f10
autoexec.bat
flash879.exe

Since you read instructions on the GA web site, then that is Gospel.

When I looked at the above - it was an implicit readme. IE it said to me:
run autoexec to run flash879......

I get your point about the file size vs. the flash memory size & so on. But
if you read around, the bios file may or may not contain *all* of the new
bios - it may exclude a boot block, its actual code size may differ so the
actual mechanism to flash the bios may change. We as consumers are not to
know - so following instructions becomes very important.

I suspect this is not getting you any closure to solving your problem.


- Tim




"MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
news:Xns952D9B930E472mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
> To me that sounds highly unlikely. The Q-Flash flashes 512 kb (524288
> bytes) which is exactly the size of the bin file for all the BIOS
> versions.
>
> None of the BIOS versions I've downloaded ever came with a readme. Where
> did you get the readme? I've never got more than three files, 8knxp.fxx,
> autoexec.bat and FLASH8xx.EXE. Did you find a readme somewhere else? I
> didn't. Could you please share its content with me, or point to where I
> can find it.
>
> There's a statement saying 'Please use Q-Flash utility to update BIOS' on
> Gigabytes site. It's on the same page as from where you download the
> BIOS. It points to a PDF document which describes the whole Q-Flash
> process. Here's the link to it:
>
> http://tw.giga-
> byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/pdf/flashbios_qflash.pdf
>
> Regards
> MuteMan
>
>
>
> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdkr2m$8o3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you read the read me with the bios update it does say to use the
>> included flash program....
>> If the Q-Flash is coded to flash size X part of bios and the update is
>> X + n, then that could explain it.
>> - Tim
>>
>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>> news:Xns952D19A912663mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>> You are probably right Tim. In fact, the reason I skipped F7 to F9
>>> was because of all the problems people were having. Not worth the
>>> risk trying them. F10 seems OK though, so that's why I decided to go
>>> with it.
>>>
>>> I have no reason to upgrade really since F6 has been working well for
>>> me. If it ain't broken... I know.
>>>
>>> But still, since F10 seems to be working so well for everybody it
>>> would have been nice to figure out why I get this problem. I always
>>> download from Gigabyte in Taiwan, and I flash with Q-Flash from
>>> within the BIOS setup. It's just a straight forward and complete
>>> flash with no merge- editing or other editing capabilities. I did the
>>> same when going from F5 to F6 with no problem.
>>>
>>> I very much appreciate your time and suggestions Tim. I will
>>> investigate futher to see if I come up with something. I'll let you
>>> know if I do.
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> MuteMan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdisnl$bg$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>>
>>>> I wouldn't do that - its tempting fate.
>>>>
>>>> F6 was an "OK" bios - at least it worked with the bugs it had.
>>>> F7, F8, F9 were buggy and few reported even putting them in - those
>>>> that did said they had troubles.
>>>> A couple daid things were OK, but they may not have had problems
>>>> before (EG memory timing issues, RAID / SATA config issues and so
>>>> on).
>>>>
>>>> Did you have a good reason to upgrade?
>>>>
>>>> IE F7 to f9 are no goers.
>>>> F10 cleared all the gruesome bugs & goes well.
>>>>
>>>> Did you get the file straight off GB in Taiwan? If not, go there for
>>>> it.
>>>>
>>>> I would either get a fresh F10, revert to F6, stick where you are,
>>>> or look for another solution... Your file name is exactly as per
>>>> mine...
>>>>
>>>> I do recall that the flash program that came with the bios was over
>>>> powered in that it gave bios merge-editing capabilities (IE load
>>>> modules, save, remove?). Could you have inadvertantly removed the
>>>> sound part of the bios?
>>>>
>>>> The BIOS may not be the solution of course...
>>>>
>>>> - Tim
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>>> news:Xns952C7537185A7mutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>>> I'm quite sure I downloaded the BIOS for rev 1.0. The name of the
>>>>> file I downloaded is "bios_8knxp_f10.exe", and when unpacked the
>>>>> name of the bin file is "8knxp.f10".
>>>>>
>>>>> I think I'm gonna try going through all BIOS versions from F6 up to
>>>>> F10 and see if it ends up the same, or if it appears before I reach
>>>>> F10.
>>>>>
>>>>> Tim, what BIOS version did you run before you flashed to F10?
>>>>>
>>>>> / MuteMan
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:cdib68$fc0$1@lust.ihug.co.nz:
>>>>>
>>>>>> The only difference between V1 and V2 8knxp is supposedly the
>>>>>> sound chip.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Could you have inadvertantly downloaded the Rev 2 motherboard bios
>>>>>> (which is something like version FH) and somehow ignored the fact
>>>>>> that it is not F10 and flashed it?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've been running F10 since about a week after it came out and not
>>>>>> had any problems with the sound...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> - Tim
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "MuteMan" <mute@man.org> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:Xns952BB4F118EEmutemanorg@216.196.97.138...
>>>>>>> Hello all
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> After going from BIOS F6 to F10 (didn't try F7 to F9) Windows XP
>>>>>>> doesn't recognize the AC97 sound device. Enabling/disabling it in
>>>>>>> BIOS doesn't make any change. I have two Windows XP (PRO SP1)
>>>>>>> installations on the machine and it is the same on both. It's
>>>>>>> like the hardware just isn't there. It's not even in Device
>>>>>>> Manager anymore.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Only way to get it back is to boot from the backup BIOS (F6) and
>>>>>>> it appears as it should again.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> MB: Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev. 1.0
>>>>>>> CPU: Intel P4 3.0 GHz HT
>>>>>>> RAM: 4x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR400
>>>>>>> GC: Geforce4 Ti4200
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hard drives:
>>>>>>> 2 x IDE Seagate 160GB
>>>>>>> 2 x SATA WD Raptor 36GB in RAID 0 on ICH5
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> DVD drives/recorders
>>>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Recorder
>>>>>>> 1 x IDE Pioneer DVD-1205 DVD Player
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> PCI Cards:
>>>>>>> 1 x RME HDSP 9652
>>>>>>> 1 x TC Powercore
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Anyone else had this?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Regards
>>>>>>> MuteMan
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
!