Another USB HDD problem: can't see drive in Disk Management

I pulled my WD 80 GB hard drive out of my old desktop and successfully used
it as an external drive on my Toshiba laptop. I then installed SP2 and
didn't try the drive for awhile; now, the drive appears in my Device Manager,
which claims it is working correctly. The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon also
appears in my system tray. I cannot, however, see the drive in either Disk
Management or My Computer. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the
drivers for both the drive and my USB ports several times as well as simply
disconnecting the drive and then reconnecting it. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

I had the same issue and Partition Magic fixed the problem.

"smallasdust" <smallasdust@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I pulled my WD 80 GB hard drive out of my old desktop and successfully used
> it as an external drive on my Toshiba laptop. I then installed SP2 and
> didn't try the drive for awhile; now, the drive appears in my Device
> Manager,
> which claims it is working correctly. The "Safely Remove Hardware" icon
> also
> appears in my system tray. I cannot, however, see the drive in either
> Disk
> Management or My Computer. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the
> drivers for both the drive and my USB ports several times as well as
> simply
> disconnecting the drive and then reconnecting it. Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a law student and can't afford extra
software. Is there any good free version that you're aware of?