SATA hard drive and WinXP install problem

I have a Hitachi SATA drive with Windows XP Home installed. I have 2
lite-on optical drives, a CD-RW and a DVD-Rom. I have always been able
to boot off the cd drives. That's how I installed Windows in the first
place. I wanted to format my C drive and reinstall Windows. I put the
Windows cd in my cd drive and it no longer boots. It gets to the "setup
is inspecting your hardware" screen and just hangs there. The only thing
I changed recently is to upgrade the SATA driver from the Windows Update
site. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

DS

Open the BIOS,device boot priority (or similiar),chk which drive you want
to boot to,then save changes and exit BIOS.Are all pin jumpers set properly
on all drives (master,slave etc.).

"David Sweeney" wrote:

> I have a Hitachi SATA drive with Windows XP Home installed. I have 2
> lite-on optical drives, a CD-RW and a DVD-Rom. I have always been able
> to boot off the cd drives. That's how I installed Windows in the first
> place. I wanted to format my C drive and reinstall Windows. I put the
> Windows cd in my cd drive and it no longer boots. It gets to the "setup
> is inspecting your hardware" screen and just hangs there. The only thing
> I changed recently is to upgrade the SATA driver from the Windows Update
> site. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
>
> DS

Most SATA controllers require a driver install during Windows XP setup for
the setup to see the SATA drive. When Windows Setup first begins it should
say "hit F6 to install third party driver", hit F6 at this point. A few
moments later you will get a prompt to hit S (i think) to install the driver
and will then ask you to insert a floopy disk with the driver. Make sure you
have a floppy with the SATA controller driver on it and insert it at this
point. Leave the disk in the floppy until Windows is finished installing.

Hope this helps.

Jay

"David Sweeney" wrote:

> I have a Hitachi SATA drive with Windows XP Home installed. I have 2
> lite-on optical drives, a CD-RW and a DVD-Rom. I have always been able
> to boot off the cd drives. That's how I installed Windows in the first
> place. I wanted to format my C drive and reinstall Windows. I put the
> Windows cd in my cd drive and it no longer boots. It gets to the "setup
> is inspecting your hardware" screen and just hangs there. The only thing
> I changed recently is to upgrade the SATA driver from the Windows Update
> site. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
>
> DS

He doesn't get that far.....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

Andrew E. wrote:
> Open the BIOS,device boot priority (or similiar),chk which drive you
> want to boot to,then save changes and exit BIOS.Are all pin jumpers
> set properly on all drives (master,slave etc.).

Andrew you win the Moron of the Month award every month. If it gets as far
as "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" - it *IS* booting from
the CD drive you eejit! Read the damned question, don't /guess/!

on salads.

He does get that far otherwise he wouldn't get the "setup is inspecting your
hardware". You have to press F6 within the first few seconds of booting to
the CD.

"Thomas Wendell" wrote:

> He doesn't get that far.....
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "JayF" <JayF@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > Most SATA controllers require a driver install during Windows XP setup for
> > the setup to see the SATA drive. When Windows Setup first begins it should
> > say "hit F6 to install third party driver", hit F6 at this point. A few
> > moments later you will get a prompt to hit S (i think) to install the
> driver
> > and will then ask you to insert a floopy disk with the driver. Make sure
> you
> > have a floppy with the SATA controller driver on it and insert it at this
> > point. Leave the disk in the floppy until Windows is finished installing.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Jay
> >

> > "David Sweeney" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Hitachi SATA drive with Windows XP Home installed. I have 2
> > > lite-on optical drives, a CD-RW and a DVD-Rom. I have always been able
> > > to boot off the cd drives. That's how I installed Windows in the first
> > > place. I wanted to format my C drive and reinstall Windows. I put the
> > > Windows cd in my cd drive and it no longer boots. It gets to the "setup
> > > is inspecting your hardware" screen and just hangs there. The only thing
> > > I changed recently is to upgrade the SATA driver from the Windows Update
> > > site. Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
> > >
> > > DS

Has the hard drive been reformatted? If not, reboot using the option of
last hardware settings that worked option and see if it boots.

If the hard drive has been reformatted then the CD-ROM drive or disk itself
may have a problem. http://www.bootdisk.com has a setup file to make a set
of six floppies to install XP.

Nospam

btw, Miss Perspicacia Tick is a moron for flaming a legitimate response. It
IS possible the bios settings may not be correct depending upon SATA
configuration. It may need to be set to PATA instead of SATA. Also is the
SATA drive connected to the mobo or is it connected to a seperate PCI SATA
controller board?

> Andrew E. wrote:
>> Open the BIOS,device boot priority (or similiar),chk which drive you
>> want to boot to,then save changes and exit BIOS.Are all pin jumpers
>> set properly on all drives (master,slave etc.).
>
> Andrew you win the Moron of the Month award every month. If it gets as far
> as "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" - it *IS* booting
> from the CD drive you eejit! Read the damned question, don't /guess/!
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Thanks, Andrew....I have the boot order set to boot first from floppy,
then cd, then sata. I neglected to say earlier that I can boot from any
cd except my Windows XP disk. That's why I posted to this newsgroup.
Sorry I didn't provide more complete information.

Dave