Athlon temperatures

Hello,

I have upgraded my 1Ghz Athlon to a 2600xp Athlon but in the bios
screen at boot the temperature of the 2600 is 70C and Windows will not
load (I suspect it gets too hot halfway through). The cooler master
heat sink is rated up to xp3200, and it is fitted properly. I have
replaced the cpu with my old 1GHz and that is showing 55C on boot.
These seem high. Is there a table on line of what the temperatures
should be?

Thanks.

nospam@nospam.org wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded my 1Ghz Athlon to a 2600xp Athlon but in the bios
> screen at boot the temperature of the 2600 is 70C and Windows will not
> load (I suspect it gets too hot halfway through). The cooler master
> heat sink is rated up to xp3200, and it is fitted properly. I have
> replaced the cpu with my old 1GHz and that is showing 55C on boot.
> These seem high. Is there a table on line of what the temperatures
> should be?

I'd be concerned about 70C. If your CPU heatsink is indeed adequate and
properly installed with the correct amount of heatsink compound, then
you need to increase airflow in your case.

-WD

<nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have upgraded my 1Ghz Athlon to a 2600xp Athlon but in the bios
> screen at boot the temperature of the 2600 is 70C and Windows will not
> load (I suspect it gets too hot halfway through). The cooler master
> heat sink is rated up to xp3200, and it is fitted properly. I have
> replaced the cpu with my old 1GHz and that is showing 55C on boot.
> These seem high. Is there a table on line of what the temperatures
> should be?

Temps are too high - there are two positions a heatsink fits on the CPU but
only one is the right way making full contact. How about the case's air
throughput? Here is a useful link showing proper installations:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

hth

I recently started having temperature issues. I am running a 3000XP on a
GA-N700Pro2. Never had any problems with temps even under heavy loads. Then
one day, about a month ago, I turned on the comp and after only 5 minutes
the temp warning started beeping (temp hit 70C). CPU fan was working (same
RPM's as always). So I pulled the CPU and checked the heatsink for dust. Was
clean. Cleaned off old thermal paste and replaced it. Funny thing is ..
sometimes I turn on the comp and it runs at 55C to 60C. Then some days I
turn it on and it heats up to 70C in a few minutes (even under small loads
like reading newsgroups only). Room temp has always been constant (at about
70 to 75F). I opened the case and even with a house fan blasting air into
the case it still heats up sometimes (not always). Like I said, it wont heat
up every time I turn it on.

Any ideas? Is CPU going bad? MB? (CPU fan and heatsink are the ones that
came with the CPU retail). I checked for apps running in the background but
it doesn't seem so (Speedfan shows no unusual CPU usage). I am NOT
overclocking and have even lowered the FSB a bit. Still happens on and off.
Odd??

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have upgraded my 1Ghz Athlon to a 2600xp Athlon but in the bios
> > screen at boot the temperature of the 2600 is 70C and Windows will not
> > load (I suspect it gets too hot halfway through). The cooler master
> > heat sink is rated up to xp3200, and it is fitted properly. I have
> > replaced the cpu with my old 1GHz and that is showing 55C on boot.
> > These seem high. Is there a table on line of what the temperatures
> > should be?
> >

> Temps are too high - there are two positions a heatsink fits on the CPU
but
> only one is the right way making full contact. How about the case's air
> throughput? Here is a useful link showing proper installations:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html

> hth

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

RGVGuy,

Just a thought, can You tell if the CPU is actually hotter when this happens? Sensor failure? Space Aliens?

Rick

RGVGuy wrote:

> I recently started having temperature issues. I am running a 3000XP on a
> GA-N700Pro2. Never had any problems with temps even under heavy loads. Then
> one day, about a month ago, I turned on the comp and after only 5 minutes
> the temp warning started beeping (temp hit 70C). CPU fan was working (same
> RPM's as always). So I pulled the CPU and checked the heatsink for dust. Was
> clean. Cleaned off old thermal paste and replaced it. Funny thing is ..
> sometimes I turn on the comp and it runs at 55C to 60C. Then some days I
> turn it on and it heats up to 70C in a few minutes (even under small loads
> like reading newsgroups only). Room temp has always been constant (at about
> 70 to 75F). I opened the case and even with a house fan blasting air into
> the case it still heats up sometimes (not always). Like I said, it wont heat
> up every time I turn it on.
>
> Any ideas? Is CPU going bad? MB? (CPU fan and heatsink are the ones that
> came with the CPU retail). I checked for apps running in the background but
> it doesn't seem so (Speedfan shows no unusual CPU usage). I am NOT
> overclocking and have even lowered the FSB a bit. Still happens on and off.
> Odd??
>
> "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>
>><nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have upgraded my 1Ghz Athlon to a 2600xp Athlon but in the bios
>>>screen at boot the temperature of the 2600 is 70C and Windows will not
>>>load (I suspect it gets too hot halfway through). The cooler master
>>>heat sink is rated up to xp3200, and it is fitted properly. I have
>>>replaced the cpu with my old 1GHz and that is showing 55C on boot.
>>>These seem high. Is there a table on line of what the temperatures
>>>should be?
>>>

>>Temps are too high - there are two positions a heatsink fits on the CPU
>
> but
>
>>only one is the right way making full contact. How about the case's air
>>throughput? Here is a useful link showing proper installations:
>>

> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348^6678,00.html
>

>>hth

i have the same problem and i think it's the gigabyte sensor. (GA7N400-Pro).
2 Cpu's (barton 2500xp -3200xp) both read at 52c nominal and upwards of
60c-70c during stress. no problems with performance, just that annoying
beep.

how do you read from the CPU temp diode?