Epson printer

I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
black. Other colours are fine.

Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
no improvement.

How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
please? TIA.
11 answers Last reply
More about epson printer

    Mick wrote:

    > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > black. Other colours are fine.
    >
    > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > no improvement.
    >
    > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > please? TIA.

    It is time to retire the old 400! The cost of refilling tanks of ink for
    head cleaning will almost exceed the price of a newer, faster, more
    advanced quality printer. Check out the C44UX printer.

    If memory serves me your old 400 was a double 12+ digit picoliter
    printer w/ 1440x 720. Check out a suggested $49 C44UX with 2880x720, 6
    picoliter ink droplet. 3-4 times faster, 50%+ quiter, and improved
    drivers for the newer photo priumfor the older 400. Check out:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=33279426

    I've had to clean the heads about 10 to 12 times in a row. Also be sure you
    turn the printer off at the power button on the printer. Dont turn it off at
    a surge protector. The print heads need to be "parked" and this only happens
    at the printers power switch. If you dont the print heads will get clogged.
    (speaking from experience!). If that doesn't work consider buying a new
    printer, they are cheap enough.
    \

    "Mick" <dinamic_mail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > black. Other colours are fine.
    >
    > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > no improvement.
    >
    > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > please? TIA.

    The final way is to use an old empty cartridge and fill it with cleaning
    fluid and run that with the cleaning cycle. I did this with a friends Epson
    400 and it cleared the blockage.. I forgotten what the recommended cleaning
    fluid is but I'm sure any window cleaning fluid would do
    Blair
    "JohnQPublic" <jqp@jqp.com> wrote in message
    > I've had to clean the heads about 10 to 12 times in a row. Also be sure
    you
    > turn the printer off at the power button on the printer. Dont turn it off
    at
    > a surge protector. The print heads need to be "parked" and this only
    happens
    > at the printers power switch. If you dont the print heads will get
    clogged.
    > (speaking from experience!). If that doesn't work consider buying a new
    > printer, they are cheap enough.
    > \
    >
    > "Mick" <dinamic_mail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > > black. Other colours are fine.
    > >
    > > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > > no improvement.
    > >
    > > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > > please? TIA.

    "Mick" <dinamic_mail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > black. Other colours are fine.
    >
    > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > no improvement.
    >
    > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > please? TIA.

    None. I had an Epson 400 - my first colour printer - paid about $350 for it.
    Used it for years then gave it away to a colleague who used it for a few
    more years. It died. It's not worth spending any time on. You can get a nerw
    printer so cheaply these days - $69 or $99 and better than the 400.

    Mick wrote:
    > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > black. Other colours are fine.
    >
    > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > no improvement.
    >
    > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > please? TIA.

    By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
    the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
    there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -

    1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
    Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
    running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean. When
    the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
    ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.

    Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
    cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
    should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
    cleaning cycles to get things going again.

    2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
    outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
    cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
    Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
    above.

    Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
    should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

    Running a cleaning cycle uses 1 to 2% of the ink for each cycle.

    > Mick wrote:
    > > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > > black. Other colours are fine.
    > >
    > > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > > no improvement.
    > >
    > > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > > please? TIA.
    >
    > By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
    > the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
    > there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
    >
    > 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
    > Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
    > running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.
    When
    > the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
    > ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
    >
    > Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
    > cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
    > should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
    > cleaning cycles to get things going again.
    >
    > 2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
    > outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
    > cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
    > Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
    > above.
    >
    > Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
    > should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

    Thanks to everyone for all the replies on this. I had a reply from
    Epson saying I should run two head cleaning cycles, power the printer
    off, wait a minute, then power it on and do two cleaning cyles again.
    I've done that whole process twice with a very small improvement but
    it's not good. I have now ordered a cleaning cartridge to try that
    next.

    "Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<NuHBc.720$sM4.156@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Running a cleaning cycle uses 1 to 2% of the ink for each cycle.
    >

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > > Mick wrote:
    > > > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > > > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > > > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > > > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > > > black. Other colours are fine.
    > > >
    > > > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > > > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > > > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > > > no improvement.
    > > >
    > > > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > > > please? TIA.
    > >
    > > By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
    > > the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
    > > there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
    > >
    > > 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
    > > Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
    > > running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.
    > When
    > > the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
    > > ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
    > >
    > > Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
    > > cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
    > > should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
    > > cleaning cycles to get things going again.
    > >
    > > 2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
    > > outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
    > > cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
    > > Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
    > > above.
    > >
    > > Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
    > > should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

    The cleaning cartridge did the trick, thank you! I'd recommend
    www.e-inkjet.co.uk for quick service (and the Royal Mail for quick
    delivery). Worked a treat. I even replaced the current black
    cartridge and it seems to work fine (anyone know why this is not
    recommended please?).

    dinamic_mail@yahoo.co.uk (Mick) wrote in message news:<21d86311.0406230246.43505344@posting.google.com>...
    > Thanks to everyone for all the replies on this. I had a reply from
    > Epson saying I should run two head cleaning cycles, power the printer
    > off, wait a minute, then power it on and do two cleaning cyles again.
    > I've done that whole process twice with a very small improvement but
    > it's not good. I have now ordered a cleaning cartridge to try that
    > next.
    >
    > "Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<NuHBc.720$sM4.156@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
    > > Running a cleaning cycle uses 1 to 2% of the ink for each cycle.
    > >

    > > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message

    > > > By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. All
    > > > the 'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already
    > > > there, and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -
    > > >
    > > > 1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
    > > > Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
    > > > running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean.
    > When
    > > > the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
    > > > ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
    > > >
    > > > Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
    > > > cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
    > > > should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
    > > > cleaning cycles to get things going again.
    > > >
    > > > 2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
    > > > outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
    > > > cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
    > > > Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
    > > > above.
    > > >
    > > > Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a fifth of a cartridge. It
    > > > should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

    Hi Mick,

    Chances are your Epson printer is experiencing nozzle clogging or
    underhead ink buildup. The problem can occur after a while, especially
    in drier climates, and it often cannot be fixed by standard head
    cleaning cycles.

    I would suggest you email me privately and request my Epson Cleaning
    Manual. It is free for the asking, and it explains a simple and very
    inexpensive set of instructions for cleaning under the head or to
    explains how to make cleaning cartridges for next to nothing.

    Email me at: artistic(at)telus(dot)net

    Replace (at) with @
    Replace (dot) with .

    Art

    Mick wrote:

    > I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    > for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    > with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    > tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    > black. Other colours are fine.
    >
    > Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    > be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    > should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    > no improvement.
    >
    > How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    > please? TIA.

    Not everyone uses their printer(s) in a business or professional setting
    where they can and maybe even must justify time versus costs.

    Chances are there is nothing wrong with the 400 printer, although I
    believe it was 720 x 720 dpi. However, the output is fine for many
    applications, the printer does not require a chipped cartridge, which
    keeps cost of refills or generics very low, and for many it's fast enough.

    Also, keeping it out of the landfill saves more than direct dollars, it
    saves the environment. Likely, this printer can be made nearly good as
    new with a cleaning, and cleaning cartridges can be made for pennies.

    Art

    sundance wrote:

    > Mick wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Epson Stylus Colour 400 printer. It has been working fine
    >> for a few years but has suddenly started printing black characters
    >> with gaps in them appearing as white lines across the page. I have
    >> tried changing the ink cartridge with no effect. This only applies to
    >> black. Other colours are fine.
    >>
    >> Everything I can find tells me that the jets are clogged and need to
    >> be cleaned and that if the cleaning process does not fix the problem I
    >> should clean them again. However, I have tried this many times with
    >> no improvement.
    >>
    >> How many times is it reasonable to try the cleaning? Any other ideas
    >> please? TIA.
    >

    > It is time to retire the old 400! The cost of refilling tanks of ink for
    > head cleaning will almost exceed the price of a newer, faster, more
    > advanced quality printer. Check out the C44UX printer.
    >
    > If memory serves me your old 400 was a double 12+ digit picoliter
    > printer w/ 1440x 720. Check out a suggested $49 C44UX with 2880x720, 6
    > picoliter ink droplet. 3-4 times faster, 50%+ quiter, and improved
    > drivers for the newer photo priumfor the older 400. Check out:
    > http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=33279426

    Just so others are aware, you can make your own for next to nothing from
    old ink carts filled with ammoniated window cleaner. Or a mix of about
    20% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and the rest window cleaner.

    Art

Printers Stylus Epson Peripherals