GA-8PE667 Ultra Peculiarity

I've been happily computing along using the on board RAID controller for
over a year. I have a DVD and CDR set up as master/slave on the primary IDE
channel. I needed some extra storage and installed a internal harddrive, set
as master on the secondary IDE channel. Now when I boot, after the RAID
initializes and the "verifying DMI pool data" is displayed, I get a message
stating that I'm missing an operating system. If I disconnect the newly
installed harddrive, everything is back to normal. It seems to me, that for
some reason, my computer insists on wanting to boot from the harddrive
connected to my secondary IDE channel, rather than the RAID harddrives.
I've disabled the boot sequence in the BIOS (after trying every concievable
combo), to no avail. Any ideas as to why this machine wants to boot to a
harddrive on the secondary IDE channel and not from the RAID harddrives?,
yet when I disconnect the harddrive connected to the secondary IDE channel,
my machine boots fine? Am I overlooking a BIOS setting? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

"Scott Clugston" <scottclugston@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been happily computing along using the on board RAID controller for
> over a year. I have a DVD and CDR set up as master/slave on the primary
IDE
> channel. I needed some extra storage and installed a internal harddrive,
set
> as master on the secondary IDE channel. Now when I boot, after the RAID
> initializes and the "verifying DMI pool data" is displayed, I get a
message
> stating that I'm missing an operating system. If I disconnect the newly
> installed harddrive, everything is back to normal. It seems to me, that
for
> some reason, my computer insists on wanting to boot from the harddrive
> connected to my secondary IDE channel, rather than the RAID harddrives.
> I've disabled the boot sequence in the BIOS (after trying every
concievable
> combo), to no avail. Any ideas as to why this machine wants to boot to a
> harddrive on the secondary IDE channel and not from the RAID
harddrives?,
> yet when I disconnect the harddrive connected to the secondary IDE
channel,
> my machine boots fine? Am I overlooking a BIOS setting? Any help would
be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Make sure that the BIOS boot order is still set to have SCSI (the RAID
array is treated as a SCSI device) first. By default an IDE HD will be set
as the first boot device, unless this is the case. After this point (which
is a BIOS setting), you might also see a problem with some OS's (NT used
to insist on switching to treating the IDE drive as the boot drive, even
when the boot tracks were being loaded from a SCSI drive). The way round
this was to set the IDE drive to 'none' in the BIOS. This didn't stop the
drive being used in NT, which still finds it via it's own IDE driver. This
trick can also be applied in latter NT based OS's (W2K, WXP), if the BIOS
doesn't offer a 'SCSI first' option.

Best Wishes