GA-7N400-Pro - memory

Hello all:

Having trouble figuring out what memory to use in a GA 7N400-Pro
It is revision 2
Processor - AMD 2600 Barton

Memory is an issue ... 3 GB maximum?
Anyone tried this?

DIMM 1 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double banked
DIMM 2 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double banked

DIMM 3 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)
DIMM 4 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)

There is vague information about how to set the channels up except for
channel identification and a lot of "bewares"

Tia

"HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Hello all:
>
> Having trouble figuring out what memory to use in a GA 7N400-Pro
> It is revision 2
> Processor - AMD 2600 Barton
>
> Memory is an issue ... 3 GB maximum?
> Anyone tried this?
>
> DIMM 1 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double banked
> DIMM 2 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double banked
>
> DIMM 3 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)
> DIMM 4 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)
>
> There is vague information about how to set the channels up except for
> channel identification and a lot of "bewares"
>
> Tia

It sure looks correct, is there a problem?
JPS

Thanks JPS:

Just trying to find the appropriate arrangement of modules from a single
source.
I'm accustomed to using Crucial memory (I'm buried in them), but no single
banked units.
Crucial, has not responded regarding availability of their production 512MB
single banked modules.
Kingston, Geil, OCZ & Corsair are everywhere :-o
Is there any preference?
I've never mixed manufacturer's modules before and don't want to.

HMGI

> Thanks JPS:
>
> Just trying to find the appropriate arrangement of modules from a single
> source.
> I'm accustomed to using Crucial memory (I'm buried in them), but no single
> banked units.
> Crucial, has not responded regarding availability of their production
512MB
> single banked modules.
> Kingston, Geil, OCZ & Corsair are everywhere :-o
> Is there any preference?
> I've never mixed manufacturer's modules before and don't want to.
>
> HMGI
>

> "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Hello all:
> > >
> > > Having trouble figuring out what memory to use in a GA 7N400-Pro
> > > It is revision 2
> > > Processor - AMD 2600 Barton
> > >
> > > Memory is an issue ... 3 GB maximum?
> > > Anyone tried this?
> > >
> > > DIMM 1 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double
banked
> > > DIMM 2 - 1 GB / PC 2700 unbuffered / Non ECC - 128meg x 64 double
banked

> > > DIMM 3 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)
> > > DIMM 4 - 512MB / PC 2700 unbuffered / single banked (matched)
> > >
> > > There is vague information about how to set the channels up except for
> > > channel identification and a lot of "bewares"
> > >
> > > Tia
> > >

> > It sure looks correct, is there a problem?
> > JPS

I went for the Corsair CMX512-3700. They are in DIMM 1 and 3.
I *cannot* tell that I am totally satisfied. I get errors setting them to
CAS 2.5. This well could be my problem since I tinkered with the other
timings.
OCZ is popular and I have heard little complaint.

Kinston and Geil are mentioned on occasion without complaint.

BTW I too was a Crucial user. Loved them. However it appears they have a
problem with this size and speed.

..

JPS

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

OCZ is great, I bought 2 x 512 for my GA-8KNXP, one of them had a problem
on boot & in windows Memory Diagnostic tests but seemed to run fine once
they booted (lotta beeps for 2 min, then OK)...Anyway, they gave me an
RMA number, held it for 2 months while I fought with My bank, Tested the
new ones in their 8KNXP, all is well. Super Support.

Good luck figuring out the Mem issue if Your manual is anything like mine!

Rick

jpsga wrote:
> "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks JPS:
>>
>>Just trying to find the appropriate arrangement of modules from a single
>>source.
>>I'm accustomed to using Crucial memory (I'm buried in them), but no single
>>banked units.
>>Crucial, has not responded regarding availability of their production
>
> 512MB
>
>>single banked modules.
>>Kingston, Geil, OCZ & Corsair are everywhere :-o
>>Is there any preference?
>>I've never mixed manufacturer's modules before and don't want to.
>>
>>HMGI
>>

>>"jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message

> banked

> banked

>>>It sure looks correct, is there a problem?
>>>JPS
>>>

> I went for the Corsair CMX512-3700. They are in DIMM 1 and 3.
> I *cannot* tell that I am totally satisfied. I get errors setting them to
> CAS 2.5. This well could be my problem since I tinkered with the other
> timings.
> OCZ is popular and I have heard little complaint.
>
> Kinston and Geil are mentioned on occasion without complaint.
>
> BTW I too was a Crucial user. Loved them. However it appears they have a
> problem with this size and speed.
>
> .
>
> JPS

Needless to say, most manufacturers boot out their products as well as their
technical data.
Mr. Gates is notorious for this type of marketing ... but he's made it on
that premise, so who are we to toss dirt ...
Seems to be the thing these "daze", get the consumer to figure it all out
for you ... ;-)

Selecting memory has always been an issue with my systems. (All Abit with
Crucial sticks)
I must say that I never had issues with Crucial memory, only the MBs.
(Abit's a real trip)

This is my first Giga-Byte MB, and I see your point.
Manual translations might as well have been from Mayan to Gandor to English
to Japanese then back to English ...
That's way I'm asking about memory for this MB.

Not to mention the price ... 3GB for just under $1,000.00 ... WOW, such a
deal !
My first car cost $200.00 and lasted 6 years !

I finally got the chance to talk to a Crucial tech about their single banked
sticks.
Seems you have to "mention" that you will be running dual channels and they
will "automatically" provide them ... huh?
Nice of them to say so on their site !!
I've also been told that double banked sticks in the DIMM 3 & 4 - GA
7N400-Pro2 will be read as singles.
Somehow I don't believe that ... gee ... must be the price difference
between the double and the singles, ya think?

Oh well ... I think I'll be seeking an alternate source for memory.
Still lost here ...

HMGI

"Rick" <yamist@tiac.net> wrote in message
> OCZ is great, I bought 2 x 512 for my GA-8KNXP, one of them had a problem
> on boot & in windows Memory Diagnostic tests but seemed to run fine once
> they booted (lotta beeps for 2 min, then OK)...Anyway, they gave me an
> RMA number, held it for 2 months while I fought with My bank, Tested the
> new ones in their 8KNXP, all is well. Super Support.
>
> Good luck figuring out the Mem issue if Your manual is anything like mine!
>
> Rick
>
> jpsga wrote:
> > "HMGI" <res0uemb@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Thanks JPS:
> >>
> >>Just trying to find the appropriate arrangement of modules from a single
> >>source.
> >>I'm accustomed to using Crucial memory (I'm buried in them), but no
single
> >>banked units.
> >>Crucial, has not responded regarding availability of their production
> >
> > 512MB
> >
> >>single banked modules.
> >>Kingston, Geil, OCZ & Corsair are everywhere :-o
> >>Is there any preference?
> >>I've never mixed manufacturer's modules before and don't want to.
> >>
> >>HMGI
> >>

> >>"jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > banked

> > banked

> > I went for the Corsair CMX512-3700. They are in DIMM 1 and 3.
> > I *cannot* tell that I am totally satisfied. I get errors setting them
> > CAS 2.5. This well could be my problem since I tinkered with the other
> > timings.
> > OCZ is popular and I have heard little complaint.
> >
> > Kinston and Geil are mentioned on occasion without complaint.
> >
> > BTW I too was a Crucial user. Loved them. However it appears they have a
> > problem with this size and speed.
> >
> > .
> >
> > JPS

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

'Lo agin,

Last night I had just hooked up a new monitor (17" -> 21"", WOW) so I didn't
"have time" to check My manual. I did this am and as far as I can tell, You only need
single sided modules if You're using all six mem slots. They also all have to be "the
same size and Type", so Your config wouldn't run in my board (8KNXP).

As Yours is a Gigabyte board I suspect Yours is the same. But You're right about
the prices, lotta cash to spend to experiment!

Waiting for my coffee, then I gotta go to work, and the manual for Your board
is 10 mb. I have a dial up connection so I can't download it this am to check
what it says about Dual Channel in the 7N400-Pro.

Rick