I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
with plain tap water.

Can anyone confirm this?

I wouldn't do it, I usually use a soft brush hand a vaccuum cleaner or go
buy a can of air.

--
William

"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
> with plain tap water.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

I smell a troll....make that a wet troll....

For those of you who are new and learning...do not ever pay any attention to
anything this idiot posts.

He couldn't read it in a PC magazine...if he is so stupid as to believe it,
then he is too stupid to read.

Bobby

Bradley Dick wrote:
> I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with
> dust with plain tap water.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

It's normal to clean your hair dryer in the shower...
Right?

(Computer Components - Compressed (MOISTURE-FREE) gas/air.)

--
<- Shenan ->

Yes...it's perfectly acceptable. You'll notice better results if the
motherboard is still plugged it to the PCU with the power turned on. This
will give you a heads-up for any leaking voltages...etc. Voltage drops can
be quickly recognized, by spraying or misting a minute amount of acetone or
naptha near or directly into the PCU (with power on of course). Oh yes,
please ensure that the PCU is warmed up to normal operating
temperatures...the hotter the better.

anyway, results will vary....good luck.

jeffrey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ummmm, no, water and electronics does not mix. If you want to clean your
> MoBo, then just use compressed air that you can buy from any computer or
> electronics store. Only liquid that is used to clean any electronic devices
> is usually cleaning alcohol, that is used to remove any flux residue during
> componet soldiering. Never use water on a electronic componet.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
> >I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
> > with plain tap water.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this?

White spirits is non conductive and I feel pretty safe waving it
around electrical stuff
--
Paul (Lay me place and bake me Pie, I'm starving for me Gravy)
Stop and Look

Hello

Just used compressed air

Alvin

Bradley Dick wrote:

> I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
> with plain tap water.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:51:27 -1000, "NoNoBadDog!"
<mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote:

>I smell a troll....make that a wet troll....

You smell the mess in your own pants. Get back to the subject.

>For those of you who are new and learning...do not ever pay any attention to
>anything this idiot posts.
>
>He couldn't read it in a PC magazine...if he is so stupid as to believe it,
>then he is too stupid to read.

This talks about computer cleaning.

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/features/1153102

But not any water on electronics.

Water to dampen a rag for plastic surfaces is okay.

>Bobby
>

>"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
>> with plain tap water.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this?

papa

Actually a fire hose would be better, or perhaps just dunking the whole
thing in your swimming pool overnight. Chlorine cleans a lot of things.

Now, really, you are joking, aren't you? But in all seriousness, water and
electronics are a very dangerous combination. The only time it should be
used is a few drops on a clean cloth to wipe fingerprints off of the
monitor. For the inside of the case, use compressed air that is sold in cans
at all computer stores.

"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote

>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo
>filled with dust
> with plain tap water.
> Can anyone confirm this?

I can't confirm the plain tap water but I have heard you can
get very good results putting the mobo in the dishwasher on
the "rinse" cycle.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Circuit boards can be cleaned with DE-ionized water in an ultrasound
cleaner. Any other water will leave residue and then you are up a creek.

Opinicus wrote:

> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote
>
>> I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with
>> dust
>> with plain tap water.
>> Can anyone confirm this?
>

> I can't confirm the plain tap water but I have heard you can get very
> good results putting the mobo in the dishwasher on the "rinse" cycle.

No water, and I wouldn't use Alcohol, if it is fairly PURE, it can melt
plastic.

"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
> with plain tap water.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

Distilled water is fine.
Remove all power and batteries first.
Let the board dry completely before applying power.

Well, there is a problem with "Canned Air"........!!!
Canned Air can sometimes cause a "Static Electricity" discharge and FATALLY
RUIN the CPU and MB Chipsets. This can also be caused by "Vacuuming" the
electronic parts.
I have found "gentle" cleaning with (clean) Q-Tips dipped in alcohol changed
frequently, will provide the necessary cleaning safely. As most modern MB's
are composed of 3 to 5 layers of circuit board, I wouldn't use water (even
distilled) as it may lead to separation of the layer strata.

Lawrence at lawrence systems dot com

I wouldn't use the alcohol either - I'd mix it with orange juice - Drink
about 8 or 10 of them - Then walk through a carwash naked holding my
motherboard.

"Joe H" <JoeT@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
> No water, and I wouldn't use Alcohol, if it is fairly PURE, it can melt
> plastic.
>
> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
>> with plain tap water.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this?

Board assembly houses use distilled, de-ionized water.
You're unlikely to have this handy, but distilled is fine for the home game.

> I have found "gentle" cleaning with (clean) Q-Tips dipped in alcohol
> changed
> frequently, will provide the necessary cleaning safely. As most modern
> MB's are composed of 3 to 5 layers of circuit board, I wouldn't use water
> (even distilled) as it may lead to separation of the layer strata.

Where do you get that idea?

And while you are at it, get a sledge hammer and strike the Hard Disk a
couple of times. YOU know, like they kick TVs into life! THAT will loosen
off all that accumulated dust. <G>

--
choro-nik
********
"jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dewey,
>
> I think a strong electro-magnet would be better. Just get one of those
> huge industrial types, ones that can drag a battleship from miles away.
> That will pull any dust off the board.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Dewey" <xxxxx@xxxx.xx> wrote in message
>> Yes...it's perfectly acceptable. You'll notice better results if the
>> motherboard is still plugged it to the PCU with the power turned on. This
>> will give you a heads-up for any leaking voltages...etc. Voltage drops
>> can be quickly recognized, by spraying or misting a minute amount of
>> acetone or naptha near or directly into the PCU (with power on of
>> course). Oh yes, please ensure that the PCU is warmed up to normal
>> operating temperatures...the hotter the better.
>>

>> anyway, results will vary....good luck.

>> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>>>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with
>>>dust
>>> with plain tap water.
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm this?

My problem has been that the clock on my dashboard keeps getting stuck at
April first. But after reading this exchange I now realize the clock is
correct.

"RonK" <I'mnuts@home.com> wrote in message
>I wouldn't use the alcohol either - I'd mix it with orange juice - Drink
>about 8 or 10 of them - Then walk through a carwash naked holding my
>motherboard.
>

> "Joe H" <JoeT@mailpuppy.com> wrote in message
>> No water, and I wouldn't use Alcohol, if it is fairly PURE, it can melt
>> plastic.
>>
>> "Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>>>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with
>>>dust
>>> with plain tap water.
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm this?

constructed.

PCBs consist of a number of electrical and non-electrical layers. 2 to 4
electrical layers are fairly common for simple circuit boards. 8 to 20
layers can often be seen in many industry applications. A fiberglass or
epoxy resin dielectric material separates each of the layers.

There are also several non-electrical layers:
a.. Drill Layer - This layer defines finished drill sizes and drill
locations for parts that have pins that go through the board. It is also
used for general documentation.
b.. Solder Mask - There is a coating on the top and bottom of the PCB that
prevents solder from flowing freely on the board. This is what gives most
circuit boards their green color.
c.. Solder Paste - For parts that are 'surface mount' (the pins rest on
the surface of the board and do not go through it) this layer defines the
spaces where solder (in a paste form) will be applied for circuit assembly.
This layer is not used for manufacturing and is only used by the person
assembling the board.
d.. Silkscreen - This layer is used for documentation of a PCB. Reference
designators and other useful text can be printed on the top or bottom of a
PCB using a process similar to that used for silkscreen t-shirts.

I work in the field of Electronics, work on all types of boards, mainly
Video / Audio boards and also Motherboards for Computers.

Years ago we use to wash the boards in a oil bath solution then a de-ionized
solution to clean then and still today this method is sometimes used. It
does not hard the board, you must make sure that the board is throughly dry
before using them. Also, if if you sockets that can be remove, it is
recommended you remove them because water will be trapped and have a harder
time to evaporate. We usually had a drying time of 2 days before any power
is applied.

Alcohol is not recommed because it could cause the plastic to melt.
Isoproponol is a good cleaning solution. Vacuums with a soft painters brush
and Compressed air in a can can cause static build up but if you are
discharging yourself on a regular basis, this method is acceptable. When
there is air movement at high velocities, static buildup generates very
rapidly.

I have seen small fires and smoke created by dust. Dust is a very flammable
material. The most dangerous spot for dust is the power supply which must
people neglect to clean throughly. It gets very hot and is usually where
fire breaks out.

In my computer I have filters to minimize dust entering into the case. It
does restrict the movement of air. With the air filter installed, it helps
minimizing fan noise. Also I do not like those 12V fans so I hardwire a 110
DC Volts fan, has better air movement and more reliable. The noise of a 110
DC Volt fans is about the same, just make sure it runs on ball bearings. The
CPU fans I do not change.

--
The Electronics Repair Man

"Bradley Dick" <bradleyd@email.com> wrote in message
>I read in a PC magazine that it is normal to clean a mobo filled with dust
> with plain tap water.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?

And "tap" water is full of minerals. Have you ever seen th inside of a
water kettle? See all the mineral deposits?

"Dave VanHorn" <dvanhorn@cedar.net> wrote in message
> Board assembly houses use distilled, de-ionized water.
> You're unlikely to have this handy, but distilled is fine for the home
> game.

> And "tap" water is full of minerals. Have you ever seen th inside of a
> water kettle? See all the mineral deposits?

And distilled water, which is what I specified, has NONE OF THAT.

> "Dave VanHorn" <dvanhorn@cedar.net> wrote in message
>> Board assembly houses use distilled, de-ionized water.
>> You're unlikely to have this handy, but distilled is fine for the home
>> game.

Latest posts