Baffled by Wireless Connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 3:13:02 PM

I'm trying to add a wireless connection to my home lan.

I have Linksys WRT54G router that works nicely with wired connection between
two pc's. Internet access is dial up - ie, not via the router.

I'm trying to add wireless connection from my laptop. Toshiba laptop,
Atheros Wireless Network adapter.

The problem is that I can connect initially and can share files - but after
a short period of time I get a message that I may not be authorized to access
the network. I tried turning off the windows firewall on the laptop and
removing the WEP encrytion. Just to make it simple - same situation - I can
connect briefly - and then I seem to lose it.

The laptop is in the same room as the router - about 5 ft away.

This problem is driving me batty. Can anyone help?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:51:19 PM

Look at the following:( suggested by Robert L.):

http://www.howtonetworking.com/wireless.htm

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 8:13:49 PM

I've seen similar posts into this newsgroup about dropped wireless
connections using a Linksys WRTG54G. From your description, it sounds as if
you're losing your DHCP issued connection on the wireless side. Can you
verify that you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

The following are links which may help you diagnose your issue and provide
some popular yet unofficial firmware updates.
Broadband Reports lists some hacks and Linux Based modified firmware for
enhancing the popular Linksys WRT54G router.

Linksysinfo.org is dedicated to Linksys Enhancements. Sveasoft firmware
build has an incredible amount of features including wireless power mode
selection, BGP Routing, Bandwidth management.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

news:D 81FA61A-0F65-4641-954B-BDDB4BEFB62E@microsoft.com...