Baffled by Wireless Connection

I'm trying to add a wireless connection to my home lan.

I have Linksys WRT54G router that works nicely with wired connection between
two pc's. Internet access is dial up - ie, not via the router.

I'm trying to add wireless connection from my laptop. Toshiba laptop,
Atheros Wireless Network adapter.

The problem is that I can connect initially and can share files - but after
a short period of time I get a message that I may not be authorized to access
the network. I tried turning off the windows firewall on the laptop and
removing the WEP encrytion. Just to make it simple - same situation - I can
connect briefly - and then I seem to lose it.

The laptop is in the same room as the router - about 5 ft away.

This problem is driving me batty. Can anyone help?
2 answers Last reply
More about baffled wireless connection

    Look at the following:(suggested by Robert L.):

    http://www.howtonetworking.com/wireless.htm

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

    I've seen similar posts into this newsgroup about dropped wireless
    connections using a Linksys WRTG54G. From your description, it sounds as if
    you're losing your DHCP issued connection on the wireless side. Can you
    verify that you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

    The following are links which may help you diagnose your issue and provide
    some popular yet unofficial firmware updates.
    Broadband Reports lists some hacks and Linux Based modified firmware for
    enhancing the popular Linksys WRT54G router.

    Linksysinfo.org is dedicated to Linksys Enhancements. Sveasoft firmware
    build has an incredible amount of features including wireless power mode
    selection, BGP Routing, Bandwidth management.

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    "Pam" <Pam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to add a wireless connection to my home lan.
    >
    > I have Linksys WRT54G router that works nicely with wired connection
    > between
    > two pc's. Internet access is dial up - ie, not via the router.
    >
    > I'm trying to add wireless connection from my laptop. Toshiba laptop,
    > Atheros Wireless Network adapter.
    >
    > The problem is that I can connect initially and can share files - but
    > after
    > a short period of time I get a message that I may not be authorized to
    > access
    > the network. I tried turning off the windows firewall on the laptop and
    > removing the WEP encrytion. Just to make it simple - same situation - I
    > can
    > connect briefly - and then I seem to lose it.
    >

    > The laptop is in the same room as the router - about 5 ft away.
    >
    > This problem is driving me batty. Can anyone help?

Wireless Laptops Connection Wireless Networking