Upgrading from old graphic card on the GA-7IXE4?

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card on my GA-7IXE4 m/b from a
GeForce MX2 ( 32Mbts ) RAM to one of the 128 Mbts /256 Mbts graphics
cards due to pressure from my grandson now that DOOM 3 is out !

However I suspect that this will fail to improve the performance of my
PC due to the age of the GA-7IXE4.

Am I correct in this assumption ?

Would I be advised to upgrade the m/b also and , if so , which m/b's
should I be looking at ?

Regards,

B.N.
--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

<victory@admiraliol.ie> wrote in message
> I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card on my GA-7IXE4 m/b from a
> GeForce MX2 ( 32Mbts ) RAM to one of the 128 Mbts /256 Mbts graphics
> cards due to pressure from my grandson now that DOOM 3 is out !
>
> However I suspect that this will fail to improve the performance of my
> PC due to the age of the GA-7IXE4.
>
> Am I correct in this assumption ?
>
> Would I be advised to upgrade the m/b also and , if so , which m/b's
> should I be looking at ?
>
> Regards,
>
> B.N.
> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

what CPU (speed), Ram (100/133 mhz speed) have you got ?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

victory@admiraliol.ie wrote:

> I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card on my GA-7IXE4 m/b from a
> GeForce MX2 ( 32Mbts ) RAM to one of the 128 Mbts /256 Mbts graphics
> cards due to pressure from my grandson now that DOOM 3 is out !
>
> However I suspect that this will fail to improve the performance of my
> PC due to the age of the GA-7IXE4.
>
> Am I correct in this assumption ?
>
> Would I be advised to upgrade the m/b also and , if so , which m/b's
> should I be looking at ?
>
> Regards,
>
> B.N.
> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

According to the specs for Doom3, you need a faster processor (Athlon
1500) than the board can take (Athlon 1300), you will need at least 356
MB RAM and GeForce 3 or better or NVidia 8500 or better. You might be
able to get by on the processor but I think you'll find the biggest
hurdle is that the AGP is only 2X.

Ken

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

>what CPU (speed), Ram (100/133 mhz speed) have you got ?

AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz

512 Mbts RAM ( not sure about the speed )

B.N.

--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

> >what CPU (speed), Ram (100/133 mhz speed) have you got ?
>
> AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz
>
> 512 Mbts RAM ( not sure about the speed )
>
> B.N.
> >

> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

I'd recomend buying a GA-8IPE1000 with a P4 2.8 and 1 GB DDR. GPU should be
R9800 PRO.

<victory@admiraliol.ie> wrote in message

> >what CPU (speed), Ram (100/133 mhz speed) have you got ?
>
> AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz
>
> 512 Mbts RAM ( not sure about the speed )
>
> B.N.
> >

> --
>
> to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

Well Doom3 will STRUGGLE with this setup to run at a acceptable speed.
However it MAY play with MINIMUM Detail and on a screenmode of 640x480 at
about 25-30 fps if you are lucky.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

Thanks to all for the advice . Much obliged.

As I suspected , its going to involve more than a graphics card
update.

I shall have to have a serious discussion with the grandson - not to
mention my wife !

On second thoughts - perhaps it'd be better if I said nothing at all
to her !!!

B.N.
--

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"