Problem With 'All SATA Setup' with GA-8KNXP Ultra-64

I've built a new computer around the GA-8KNXP Ultra-64. I have an ASUS
DVD-E616P1 with an ACard AEC-7900A SATA-to-IDE Converter, a Plextor PX-712SA
(SATA) DVDRW, and three Western Digital SATA hard drives (2 WD740GD Raptors
and 1 WD2500JD).

As you can see they are all SATA devices. One would think you could attach
the two DVDs on the Silicon Image 3114 SataLink controller along with the
large WD hard drive (SATA0_Sil, SATA1_Sil, and SATA2_Sil). An then attach
the two WD Raptors on the Intel Hance Rapids (ICH5) southbridge SATA
controller (SATA0_SB and SATA1_SB).

Well, no problem with the WD Raptors on the ICH5 but no matter what I do I
can not make the DVDs work on the SI 3114 SataLink. The BIOS properly
detects all the devices but at the end of the BIOS I get failed boot errors
and will not start WinXP Pro. It is as if the system is wanting to boot from
the DVDs. I tried one DVD or the other and both without success. By the way
I have the boot from CDROM option in the BIOS turned-off.

I'm using the 'Base' (Non-Raid) Bios setting and have the latest SI SataLink
driver loaded (1.2.05).

To get my system to work, I have the two DVDs connected to the ICH5 SATA
(Raid Disabled). The ASUS/SATA converter plugs in at UltraDMA Mode 2 and the
Plextor at UltraDMA Mode 4. The hard drives are all plugged into the SI 3114
at UltraDMA Mode 6.

Plextor says their new SATA drives will not work on a SataRaid controller
but the little ACard SATA-to-IDE Converter is supposed to work with the SI
3114 controller. Either way, the DVDs should plug and go on the SI 3114
SataLink (Non-Raid) controller but they don't.

Anybody have a suggestion?

And in case you're wondering, yes I have a SCSI VXA tape drive and a SCSI
IBM hard drive. I toggle the onboard SCSI controller in the BIOS to turn
them on only when I need them. I've also an Creative Labs Audigy 2 audio
card and a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card. Everything works well but I would
still like to use the ICH5 SATA for my Raptor hard drives and connect my
DVDs to the SI SATA controller.

Thanks in advance!

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:20:20 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>Plextor says their new SATA drives will not work on a SataRaid controller
>but the little ACard SATA-to-IDE Converter is supposed to work with the SI
>3114 controller. Either way, the DVDs should plug and go on the SI 3114
>SataLink (Non-Raid) controller but they don't.

Until you have a SATA II controller, you only can connect your
SATA-drives with an ATAPI-interface to the SATA-controller of the i865
/ 875 chipset.

You may read the following article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html

Udo Kammer

"Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:20:20 GMT, "Jeff French" <jdfrench3@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Plextor says their new SATA drives will not work on a SataRaid controller
>>but the little ACard SATA-to-IDE Converter is supposed to work with the SI
>>3114 controller. Either way, the DVDs should plug and go on the SI 3114
>>SataLink (Non-Raid) controller but they don't.
>
> Until you have a SATA II controller, you only can connect your
> SATA-drives with an ATAPI-interface to the SATA-controller of the i865
> / 875 chipset.
>
> You may read the following article.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040709/index.html
>
> Udo Kammer