GA-7N400 Pro2 ? Good board ? And what is Rev 2.0 ?

Hi, I am interested in getting a new system together. I am strapped for
budget. So I dont want to get in on the 64ish stuff.

I am considering:

1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
1 AMD AthlonT XP 2800+ Processor Retail (Barton Core)
512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax

Can anyone advise whther this is a fairly cost/performance effective
solution? I am looking for a good system. I do a fair bit of work on the pc.
sometimes play the odd game. But mostly run several applications in the
background. I use to have an asus a7v133 / 1 GHz Athlon tbird / 512 MB RAM
(it barbecued recently) and found things somewhat slowing down for me.

Also, what is the difference between:

1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 (Rev. 2.0) Motherboard

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
zork

"zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:410f4ebb@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Hi, I am interested in getting a new system together. I am strapped for
> budget. So I dont want to get in on the 64ish stuff.
>
> I am considering:
>
> 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> 1 AMD AthlonT XP 2800+ Processor Retail (Barton Core)
> 512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax
>
> Can anyone advise whther this is a fairly cost/performance effective
> solution? I am looking for a good system. I do a fair bit of work on the
pc.
> sometimes play the odd game. But mostly run several applications in the
> background. I use to have an asus a7v133 / 1 GHz Athlon tbird / 512 MB RAM
> (it barbecued recently) and found things somewhat slowing down for me.
>
> Also, what is the difference between:
>
> 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 (Rev. 2.0) Motherboard
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Cheers,
> zork

The REV 2.0 uses a newer RAID controller chip.
I can only rave about this board.
It is *not* the least expensive mb around.
It is dual channel and does its best with matched pairs of memory. (More
quid!)
It is easy to over clock so you will get every thing the 2800 has and then
some.
The MBM (EasyTune 4 or 5) is a accurate and handy.
Performance up grades are easy.
There is a lot of help in this ng as it is a popular board.
JPS

"jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I am interested in getting a new system together. I am strapped for
> > budget. So I dont want to get in on the 64ish stuff.
> >
> > I am considering:
> >
> > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> > 1 AMD AthlonT XP 2800+ Processor Retail (Barton Core)
> > 512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax
> >
> > Can anyone advise whther this is a fairly cost/performance effective
> > solution? I am looking for a good system. I do a fair bit of work on the
> pc.
> > sometimes play the odd game. But mostly run several applications in the
> > background. I use to have an asus a7v133 / 1 GHz Athlon tbird / 512 MB
RAM
> > (it barbecued recently) and found things somewhat slowing down for me.
> >
> > Also, what is the difference between:
> >
> > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 (Rev. 2.0) Motherboard
> >
> > Thanks so much!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > zork
> >

> The REV 2.0 uses a newer RAID controller chip.
> I can only rave about this board.
> It is *not* the least expensive mb around.
> It is dual channel and does its best with matched pairs of memory. (More
> quid!)
> It is easy to over clock so you will get every thing the 2800 has and then
> some.
> The MBM (EasyTune 4 or 5) is a accurate and handy.
> Performance up grades are easy.
> There is a lot of help in this ng as it is a popular board.
> JPS

Great thanks so much for that!

When you say it does its best with matched pairs of memory, are you saying
it is better I get 2 x 256 MB rather than 1 x 512 MB ?

I have been a long time ASUS user, but i am finding that Gigabyte seem more
feature rich. I hope that also includes stability :)

Oh, one other question. Is there a popular support forum for Gigabyte
boards. I know that a7vtroubleshooting.com is THE board to be on when it
comes to problems related to ASUS mobos. I was hoping there would be
somethign similar for the gigabyte boards? Or is this forum the best place
on the net for gigabyte?

Cheers JPS!
zork

"zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:410f971c@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

> "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I am interested in getting a new system together. I am strapped
for
> > > budget. So I dont want to get in on the 64ish stuff.
> > >
> > > I am considering:
> > >
> > > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> > > 1 AMD AthlonT XP 2800+ Processor Retail (Barton Core)
> > > 512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax
> > >
> > > Can anyone advise whther this is a fairly cost/performance effective
> > > solution? I am looking for a good system. I do a fair bit of work on
the
> > pc.
> > > sometimes play the odd game. But mostly run several applications in
the
> > > background. I use to have an asus a7v133 / 1 GHz Athlon tbird / 512 MB
> RAM
> > > (it barbecued recently) and found things somewhat slowing down for me.
> > >
> > > Also, what is the difference between:
> > >
> > > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Motherboard
> > > 1 Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 (Rev. 2.0) Motherboard
> > >
> > > Thanks so much!
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > zork
> > >

> > The REV 2.0 uses a newer RAID controller chip.
> > I can only rave about this board.
> > It is *not* the least expensive mb around.
> > It is dual channel and does its best with matched pairs of memory. (More
> > quid!)
> > It is easy to over clock so you will get every thing the 2800 has and
then
> > some.
> > The MBM (EasyTune 4 or 5) is a accurate and handy.
> > Performance up grades are easy.
> > There is a lot of help in this ng as it is a popular board.
> > JPS
> >

> Great thanks so much for that!
>
> When you say it does its best with matched pairs of memory, are you saying
> it is better I get 2 x 256 MB rather than 1 x 512 MB ?
>
> I have been a long time ASUS user, but i am finding that Gigabyte seem
more
> feature rich. I hope that also includes stability :)
>
> Oh, one other question. Is there a popular support forum for Gigabyte
> boards. I know that a7vtroubleshooting.com is THE board to be on when it
> comes to problems related to ASUS mobos. I was hoping there would be
> somethign similar for the gigabyte boards? Or is this forum the best place
> on the net for gigabyte?
>
> Cheers JPS!
> zork

zork,

Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.

The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I can
relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.

JPS

"jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<_jUPc.72473$8_6.12730@attbi_s04>...
> "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:410f971c@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> >
> > "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message
> for

> the
> pc.
> the
> RAM

> > > The REV 2.0 uses a newer RAID controller chip.
> > > I can only rave about this board.
> > > It is *not* the least expensive mb around.
> > > It is dual channel and does its best with matched pairs of memory. (More
> > > quid!)
> > > It is easy to over clock so you will get every thing the 2800 has and
> then
> > > some.
> > > The MBM (EasyTune 4 or 5) is a accurate and handy.
> > > Performance up grades are easy.
> > > There is a lot of help in this ng as it is a popular board.
> > > JPS
> > >

> > Great thanks so much for that!
> >
> > When you say it does its best with matched pairs of memory, are you saying
> > it is better I get 2 x 256 MB rather than 1 x 512 MB ?
> >
> > I have been a long time ASUS user, but i am finding that Gigabyte seem
> more
> > feature rich. I hope that also includes stability :)
> >
> > Oh, one other question. Is there a popular support forum for Gigabyte
> > boards. I know that a7vtroubleshooting.com is THE board to be on when it
> > comes to problems related to ASUS mobos. I was hoping there would be
> > somethign similar for the gigabyte boards? Or is this forum the best place
> > on the net for gigabyte?
> >
> > Cheers JPS!
> > zork
> >

> zork,
>
> Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.
>
> The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
> looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I can
> relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.
>
> JPS

I am too will be buying this motherboard and first using my Athlon
1600 FSB266, from my 7DXR motherborad, before upgrading to a Athlon
3200+ FSB400. The documentation for the motherboard shows an
additional power socket ATX_12V, does this has to be used?

Regards,
Horst

"hbsimon" <hsimon@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > for

> > the
> > pc.
> > the
> > RAM

(More
> > then
> > > >

> > > Great thanks so much for that!
> > >
> > > When you say it does its best with matched pairs of memory, are you
saying
> > > it is better I get 2 x 256 MB rather than 1 x 512 MB ?
> > >
> > > I have been a long time ASUS user, but i am finding that Gigabyte seem
> > more
> > > feature rich. I hope that also includes stability :)
> > >
> > > Oh, one other question. Is there a popular support forum for Gigabyte
> > > boards. I know that a7vtroubleshooting.com is THE board to be on when
it
> > > comes to problems related to ASUS mobos. I was hoping there would be
> > > somethign similar for the gigabyte boards? Or is this forum the best
place
> > > on the net for gigabyte?
> > >
> > > Cheers JPS!
> > > zork
> > >

> > zork,
> >
> > Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.
> >
> > The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
> > looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I
can
> > relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.
> >
> > JPS
>
> I am too will be buying this motherboard and first using my Athlon
> 1600 FSB266, from my 7DXR motherborad, before upgrading to a Athlon
> 3200+ FSB400. The documentation for the motherboard shows an
> additional power socket ATX_12V, does this has to be used?
>
> Regards,
> Horst

I did *not* try not using this the plug as came with the power supply.
It appears to be an effort to keep the current density in the PCB traces to
the lowest possible level. This increases reliability.
JPS

> > I am too will be buying this motherboard and first using my Athlon
> > 1600 FSB266, from my 7DXR motherborad, before upgrading to a Athlon
> > 3200+ FSB400. The documentation for the motherboard shows an
> > additional power socket ATX_12V, does this has to be used?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Horst
>
> I did *not* try not using this the plug as came with the power supply.
> It appears to be an effort to keep the current density in the PCB traces
> the lowest possible level. This increases reliability.
> JPS

You have to use the extra power cable, the manual states this, plus when I
tried removing it the thing would not boot!

I had major problems getting the 3200 to be recognised, but have managed to
sort of frigg it to work!
It stable, works so im happy!!!

> Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.
>
> The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
> looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I can
> relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.
>
> JPS

Yes thanks! Could you pass on those top 4-5 startup problems?

The main problem ive come across is that people see reduced cpu speed on
post

Thanks again JPS!

1) Not setting the CLK-SW. The default is 100mHz
2) Not setting the CLK_RATIO switches to match the CPU or to over clock..
3) Not unplugging from the mains when resetting BIOS.Un- plug them remove
the battery
4) Not using CTRL-F1 to view and set the BIOS.
5) Not using the correct DIMM slots to activate dual channel.
6) Using the GigaRAID sockets in a non-RAID configuration.

JPS

> > Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.
> >
> > The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
> > looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I
can
> > relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.
> >
> > JPS
> >

> Yes thanks! Could you pass on those top 4-5 startup problems?
>
> The main problem ive come across is that people see reduced cpu speed on
> post
>
> Thanks again JPS!

Thanks for that JPS! That will come in handy :)

cheers
zork

"zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<41185348@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> Thanks for that JPS! That will come in handy :)
>
> cheers
> zork
>
> "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > 1) Not setting the CLK-SW. The default is 100mHz
> > 2) Not setting the CLK_RATIO switches to match the CPU or to over clock..
> > 3) Not unplugging from the mains when resetting BIOS.Un- plug them remove
> > the battery
> > 4) Not using CTRL-F1 to view and set the BIOS.
> > 5) Not using the correct DIMM slots to activate dual channel.
> > 6) Using the GigaRAID sockets in a non-RAID configuration.
> >
> > JPS
> >
> > "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message

> can

> > > Yes thanks! Could you pass on those top 4-5 startup problems?
> > >
> > > The main problem ive come across is that people see reduced cpu speed on
> > > post
> > >
> > > Thanks again JPS!

Hi anyone know if the crucial twinx 512MB(2x256MB)is single or double sided?

Regards,
Horst

"hbsimon" <hsimon@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "jpsga" <knowone@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > for

> > the
> > pc.
> > the
> > RAM

(More
> > then
> > > >

> > > Great thanks so much for that!
> > >
> > > When you say it does its best with matched pairs of memory, are you
saying
> > > it is better I get 2 x 256 MB rather than 1 x 512 MB ?
> > >
> > > I have been a long time ASUS user, but i am finding that Gigabyte seem
> > more
> > > feature rich. I hope that also includes stability :)
> > >
> > > Oh, one other question. Is there a popular support forum for Gigabyte
> > > boards. I know that a7vtroubleshooting.com is THE board to be on when
it
> > > comes to problems related to ASUS mobos. I was hoping there would be
> > > somethign similar for the gigabyte boards? Or is this forum the best
place
> > > on the net for gigabyte?
> > >
> > > Cheers JPS!
> > > zork
> > >

> > zork,
> >
> > Yes, 2x256MB is better use of the board.
> >
> > The only 'support forum' I know of is this one. I read it routinely
> > looking for 7N400 questions and answers. If you are interested yet, I
can
> > relay the top 4 or 5 start-up problems that are brought up.
> >
> > JPS
>
> I am too will be buying this motherboard and first using my Athlon
> 1600 FSB266, from my 7DXR motherborad, before upgrading to a Athlon
> 3200+ FSB400. The documentation for the motherboard shows an
> additional power socket ATX_12V, does this has to be used?
>
> Regards,
> Horst

YES, YES, YES you need the plug... supplies seprate voltage to processor
power circuits!

KK

PS, I hate bottom posting